does a low LSAT score with a High score impact scholarships?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kcollins

does a low LSAT score with a High score impact scholarships?

Postby kcollins » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:10 pm

I just took the December 2012 LSAT and just for some reason could not focus. I know for a fact I am capable of getting in the 170s, especially with a little more prep. However, I am pretty confident that this past test will only result somewhere in the range of 156-163. I plan to take the test again in February and get a better score but I am trying to figure out if I am better off canceling this current score.

I would like to go to Pace for Environmental Law as it is the top 3 for Environmental Law. My score should be within the Median score. However, I really would like a good scholarship, which means I will have the retake the LSAT.

If I do not cancel the score, I can apply by February with a note that I am retaking the LSAT in February.
If I cancel my score I will have to wait until my score is returned in March to apply to Pace.

I guess what I am asking is will having a lower score from the Dec test in addition to my higher score in Feb lessen my chances of getting a scholarship when compared to having a cancelled score from Dec and a high LSAT score from Feb?

Which do you recommend?

gaud

Re: does a low LSAT score with a High score impact scholarships?

Postby gaud » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:12 pm

It didn't seem to impact the scholarship offers I received.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm

kcollins wrote:will having a lower score from the Dec test in addition to my higher score in Feb lessen my chances of getting a scholarship when compared to having a cancelled score from Dec and a high LSAT score from Feb?

No, but the fact that the LSAT score won't get there until March will have a significant impact on any scholarship chances as by then a lot of money has already been given out and accepted. But the basica answer is a cancel is not necessary.

kcollins wrote:I would like to go to Pace for Environmental Law as it is the top 3 for Environmental Law.

Not to get too off topic, but rankings like this are essentially meaningless. All you should care about are employment prospects. Your goal should be to get a job as a lawyer and not worry about the particular area of law just yet.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:19 pm

It shouldn't affect scholarships.

However, going to Pace will affect (negatively) your chances of getting a job. Pace grads have about a 1/3 chance of getting any kind of long-term legal job, and almost no chance at getting a job that pays decently (less than 9% of grads are known to be making more than $60k.)

If you can get in the 170s there is absolutely NO justification for going to Pace. Specialty program rankings mean nothing. Any decent school will have enough environmental classes for you to be qualified for the job you want, and a better school overall gives you a better shot at actually getting that job.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pace

kcollins

Postby kcollins » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I know that applying in March greatly limits both my application and scholarship prospects, but I really do not have much of a choice at this point as this was the soonest I could manage with my current job and I do not want to put law school off another year. I guess I can try to get my application in earlier if I don't cancel my December score and note that I will be taking the February LSAT as well.

I need to stay in NY. I am not very interested in working for a big firm. I have a BS in Environmental Sciences from ND and a few years post-grad experience working with environmental regulations in the corporate and now the non-profit sector. I plan to do international environmental policy work. Pace seems like a pretty good spot to get my foot in the door with the right people and organizations (such as leading environmental law experts and summer positions advising the UN).

My other choices of course are Columbia and NYU but my GPA was not the strongest (only around a 3.4) and given my December LSAT experience and the likely fact that I will have to take the February LSAT to get a decent score, I do not seem to have a chance at getting into those schools (especially since the application deadlines for those schools are in February).

If I excel at Pace, which I plan to, I have the possibility (although slim I know) of transferring to one of those 2 schools for 2L.

I can't think of a much better plan at this point. Any suggestions?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:32 pm

LOL at even considering the idea of transfering from Pace to Columbia/NYU.

LOL at planning on being an international lawyer out of basically a TTT.

If you cant get into brooklyn/dozo with $$ or Fordham with $, then you shouldnt go to law school until you can.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Hate to waste my 666th post on this, but 161

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:20 pm

kcollins wrote: I plan to do international environmental policy work. Pace seems like a pretty good spot to get my foot in the door with the right people and organizations (such as leading environmental law experts and summer positions advising the UN).

--ImageRemoved--

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 pm

You have a degree in Environmental Sciences - go do something with it. I wish I could trade my bullshit, *insert any degree outside the sciences* degree for yours.

I think you could get involved with environmental policy a lot quicker by searching for jobs now or attending grad school. I don't think you understand the kind of work you will ACTUALLY be doing with an environmental law degree.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Coveted wrote:You have a degree in Environmental Sciences - go do something with it. I wish I could trade my bullshit, *insert any degree outside the sciences* degree for yours.

I think you could get involved with environmental policy a lot quicker by searching for jobs now or attending grad school. I don't think you understand the kind of work you will ACTUALLY be doing with an environmental law degree.

Bingo.

Also, cut OP some slack guys. Everything you've said makes sense and OP SHOULD ADHERE to your wisdom. But it's obvious OP is also new to TLS.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 pm

OP you should cancel your score because if not you might be tempted to go to Pace with whatever score you get back. Don't go there. Retake in February and if you get the 170+ score you're capable of apply for law schools next cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”