Too late in the cycle to apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
unas

Too late in the cycle to apply?

Postby unas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm sure this topic has already been harped on this cycle, but I had a rather upsetting conversation with the law school adviser at my UG who told me that it is late in this cycle to apply and that I should brace myself for WLs and dings from schools I would've had a decent shot at had I applied in Sept or Oct.

How much truth is there to this? I had wanted to hold off on applying until I got my Dec LSAT score, but now I'm thinking I should just submit apps this weekend and ask schools to not make a final decision til they see my score. But even if I do this, am I still screwed?

I never thought mid-Dec was that late. It def isn't early, but is it late enough that a borderline student will have completely shot him/herself in the foot?

My adviser even went so far as to say I should sit this cycle out and consider applying next year as soon as applications are available. Scared the crap out of me honestly....

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!! TiA!!

eav1277

Re: Too late in the cycle to apply?

Postby eav1277 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:37 pm

I am not the most knowledgeable person on here. However, I think most people will say you can ignore your school adviser.

You'll be fine. Clearly, submitting apps in September and October is great, but December isn't too late. Good luck!

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:39 pm

My adviser even went so far as to say I should sit this cycle out and consider applying next year as soon as applications are available. Scared the crap out of me honestly....

Don't panic. The reason why you typically want to apply in Oct/Nov is to take full advantage of rolling admissions. Most years, by the time December-January come around, schools have already filled much of their classes, increasing the competition for the remaining spots. However, this year is different. This is about to be the third year in a row that applications to law schools have PLUMMETED. Just google law school applications and you'll find all the articles. You can also check this LSAC volume summary for the numbers. It's pretty shocking.
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ummary.asp

What does this mean for you? Basically, law school has become a buyers market and unlike in past years, the benefits of applying early should be largely diminished. If we use last cycle as an example, a HUGE number of schools (including most T14) were still scrambling to fill their classes long after their application deadlines and ended up extended those deadlines, in some cases well into the summer.

In my opinion, this could end up being the most forgiving cycle for applicants in recent memory, and it's worth a shot to send in some apps. Solicit whatever fee waivers you can. If you aren't satisfied with how your apps pan out, hold out and try again early next year.

By the way, it's pretty common knowledge that pre-law advisors are completely full of shit and do more harm than good. My friend's pre-law advisor told her to forget the T14 and to consider Vermont, because she was interested in environmental law and they had the "best program in the country"... ROFL

unas

Postby unas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks so much, guys! You have no idea how relieved I am to hear all this. I thought she might be exaggerating, but many students from my UG aim for/historically get into T-14 schools (which is what I am aiming for too.. at least the lower half :D ), so I figured she must know what she's talking about. Glad to hear there's hope though!! The news about app numbers plummeting is especially encouraging....

Do you still think it's better to apply ASAP and send schools a note telling them to not make a final decision until they get my Dec score (as she advised), or to wait until I have my Dec score and submit apps the day I receive it?

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Just prepare your Apps and then when your score is released, finish up and submit.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Do you still think it's better to apply ASAP and send schools a note telling them to not make a final decision until they get my Dec score (as she advised), or to wait until I have my Dec score and submit apps the day I receive it?

I think it's better to send it in ASAP, with a note to hold for score. The reason for this is that schools get a HUGE wave of applications right after the December score release. If they already have the rest of your application and are just waiting on your score, you'll be in before that whole wave, giving you a bit of an edge.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Your advisor is a fucking idiot. "Too late" is late February.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Your advisor is a fucking idiot. "Too late" is late February.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Coveted wrote:Just prepare your Apps and then when your score is released, finish up and submit.

+1

Schools will see you have a pending LSAT score and hold it until the score is released.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 pm

I applied in early November and I haven't heard a thing from any of my schools as yet. I'm starting to wish I hadn't listened to everyone who told me I should be in a mad rush to get in my applications. I would have been better off retaking the LSAT in December instead.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 pm

talesofyore wrote:I applied in early November and I haven't heard a thing from any of my schools as yet. I'm starting to wish I hadn't listened to everyone who told me I should be in a mad rush to get in my applications. I would have been better off retaking the LSAT in December instead.

I'm pretty sure if you had asked, everyone would have told you to retake the LSAT as well.

Skier

Postby Skier » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
What does this mean for you? Basically, law school has become a buyers market and unlike in past years, the benefits of applying early should be largely diminished. If we use last cycle as an example, a HUGE number of schools (including most T14) were still scrambling to fill their classes long after their application deadlines and ended up extended those deadlines, in some cases well into the summer.

In my opinion, this could end up being the most forgiving cycle for applicants in recent memory, and it's worth a shot to send in some apps. Solicit whatever fee waivers you can. If you aren't satisfied with how your apps pan out, hold out and try again early next year.

This just made me feel so much better that I haven't been able to finalize my application until now. Thanks!

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:
talesofyore wrote:I applied in early November and I haven't heard a thing from any of my schools as yet. I'm starting to wish I hadn't listened to everyone who told me I should be in a mad rush to get in my applications. I would have been better off retaking the LSAT in December instead.

I'm pretty sure if you had asked, everyone would have told you to retake the LSAT as well.

I made bad decisions. I used up my third retake in October instead of waiting for December.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”