. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MKC

Diamond

Character and Fitness - sexual harassment complaint

Post by MKC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Last edited by MKC on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

musicfor18

Silver

Re: Character and Fitness - sexual harassment complaint

Post by musicfor18 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't think a complaint rises to the level of what you need to report. If, on the other hand, your university ends up finding that there was harassment, you should probably report.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:48 pm

What is the language on the application like? I'd look there first.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 pm

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
gaud wrote:What is the language on the application like? I'd look there first.
I'm applying to 16 schools, and after closer examination, some of them don't require anything unless you're actually placed on probation. Emory's is one of the most stringent, and is worded as followed:

"Have you ever been accused of, reprimanded for, detained for, or charged with any criminal offense or school conduct violation,
regardless of the outcome? This includes any criminal accusations, including traffic offenses, except for parking violations. This
also includes any reprimands or social actions while in college, or any educational setting since high school (such as noise
violations)."

The underlined is what worries me. There are several applications that are similarly phrased.
Sounds like you absolutely need to disclose....I don't think waiting until next week when you can give them the full story (and resolution) will hurt anything. If they give you an admissions decision between now and then, disclose nonetheless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm

OOOoooo , that's a toughy.

On applications that stringent I would disclose. I don't think waiting until you meet with the "investigators" is a bad idea, but I would certainly disclose it after it's all said and done. Assuming nothing comes out of it, I don't think schools will care.

ETA: scooped

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 pm

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Given that it's only a week away, I think you're fine to wait.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Last edited by MKC on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:48 pm

while we were working on the project (in the same room with all 4 group members present) I sent 2 e-mails with stupid subject lines. Paraphrasing, one said "Women are stupid" and the other said "You're a gay treehugger". The girl was apparently unhappy with this, probably in conjunction with my admittedly abrasive personality, and told an instructor.
Did you send these emails TO HER? Otherwise, how could the fact that she was snooping over your shoulder and reading your private emails constitute sexual harassment or a "violation of school policy?" I feel like you're leaving something out of this. I can't imagine someone sneaking a peek at your private emails and then complaining to the teacher about their subject lines.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
while we were working on the project (in the same room with all 4 group members present) I sent 2 e-mails with stupid subject lines. Paraphrasing, one said "Women are stupid" and the other said "You're a gay treehugger". The girl was apparently unhappy with this, probably in conjunction with my admittedly abrasive personality, and told an instructor.
Did you send these emails TO HER? Otherwise, how could the fact that she was snooping over your shoulder and reading your private emails constitute sexual harassment or a "violation of school policy?" I feel like you're leaving something out of this. I can't imagine someone sneaking a peek at your private emails and then complaining to the teacher about their subject lines.
It sounded to me like they were emails to the group, and he mentioned that they were in the room working to show that she could have just said "hey, those are jackass subject lines, knock it off, dickweed" to his face.

Those were jackass subject lines, though. Were you attempting humor?

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:57 pm

It sounded to me like they were emails to the group, and he mentioned that they were in the room working to show that she could have just said "hey, those are jackass subject lines, knock it off, dickweed" to his face.
That's unfortunate, because if that's the case it displays incredibly poor judgement. Why would you send an obviously offensive email to the type of person who would be offended by it? Now she even has documentation of this "harassment." My guess is that schools take sexual harassment accusations seriously and I would start some major ass-kissing and apologize to the girl. Like, right the fuck now. This chick could ruin you if she wants to, dude.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:42 pm

I called another member of that group and asked he knew anything about this. He thought I was kidding at first. He called her to ask about it. That's how I know that she told the professor to talk to me, but that she didn't want to get me in trouble. She didn't even know that it had turned into a formal investigation when they spoke.
If this is true and "she didn't want you to get in trouble" why did she tell the instructor in the first place? He/she didn't come up with the sexual harassment allegations on his/her own. Anyway, if she really feels this way have your other group members articulate to her that you're very sorry for your bad joke/social retardation, and that if she doesn't have these charges immediately dropped/declared a big misunderstanding, it could potentially affect your future.

She should know better than to think reporting "sexual harassment" to an instructor wouldn't "get you in trouble" and isn't a big deal. Schools don't want to get sued and thus take this shit VERY SERIOUSLY. I know that this is just a case of a bad joke/stupid email, unfortunately how it is documented on your record is what will really matter.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:43 pm

dude who cares

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”