Apply now or wait until grades post...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jeff_lebowski
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 am

Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby jeff_lebowski » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Current numbers: 3.63/167

I'm applying to Cornell, Minnesota, ASU, BYU, and Utah. My LSAC GPA is a 3.63, but after this semester will go up to a 3.70 (possibly 3.69). Is it worth it to wait until December 27 when grades post at my school to send in an updated transcript to LSAC?

jeff_lebowski
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 am

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby jeff_lebowski » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Bump. Any advice would be appreciated.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby cynthiad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm

It's worth it wait for a 3.7. You might want to consider waiting a year if your GPA will rise further spring semester and retaking the LSAT--you'd be able to apply to much better schools with a 3.7/170ish

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby cynthiad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:43 pm

On further consideration, why are applying only to the schools you listed? You should consider UVA, Mich, GULC, NU, Duke, and Penn. Try looking at lawschoolpredictor and lawschoolnumbers to get a better idea of the schools you'd have a chance at. Even if you only want to attend a school where you can get signifigant $$, you can leverage admission at a higher-ranked school to increase a scholly offer. Where do you want to work?

jeff_lebowski
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 am

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby jeff_lebowski » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. I was PTing low 170s and the 167 was a bummer. My lsac gpa will be a 3.73 after spring and I could just do a two semester masters w/full tuition in the fall.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby cynthiad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 pm

I would really recommend waiting then. Do well in your classes, study like crazy for the June or October LSAT. With a 3.73/170+ you'd be in at CCN and could have a shot at HYS. Do the master's or work for a year. (Some WE will help when you're applying for jobs).

jeff_lebowski
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 am

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby jeff_lebowski » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 pm

cynthiad wrote:On further consideration, why are applying only to the schools you listed? You should consider UVA, Mich, GULC, NU, Duke, and Penn. Try looking at lawschoolpredictor and lawschoolnumbers to get a better idea of the schools you'd have a chance at. Even if you only want to attend a school where you can get signifigant $$, you can leverage admission at a higher-ranked school to increase a scholly offer. Where do you want to work?


Want to end up in the mountain west, but wouldn't be opposed to spending 5-7yrs biglaw or in a different region. Application fees and the prospect of paying sticker at any of those is what's keeping me from applying.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:06 pm

OP check this link out:

http://myLSN.info/umxa01

Play around with that website a bit if you want. Basically, you're right to not apply to any of those schools that the other poster was advocating. Literally, many of them have never admitted a non URM with your numbers.

However, the other poster is probably giving decent advice about siting out a cycle (especially since it sounds like you have a decent option for the year). However, if you really want the mountain west, consider some of those regional schools you are applying to. I'd imagine you'll get some pretty nice scholarships this year.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Apply now or wait until grades post...

Postby cynthiad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I was saying OP should consider those schools once they have better numbers, not with current numbers. A 3.7/175+ has a shot at Harvard, and a 3.7/170-172+ is probably in at at least one of CCN. With improved numbers, you could also have a shot at $$ at the lower T14.

If you want to work in the mountain west, I'd recommend starting out there--it's harder to get a job in a different region in law than in many other fields, and it's hard to break into smaller markets. What are your ties like?

If you're concerned about application fees, then only apply to Chicago if you get a 170 or better on retake, and to Harvard also if you get at least 174. An admit at one of these schools will be good scholly leverage at any lower school, and the application fee is negligible compared to COA for three years of law school. If you spend $300 extra on applications and get an extra $10K/year scholarship out it, that's a great ROI. It's definitely worth considering attending if you get in, too. (I say these two and not Columbia and NYU because those are more NYC focused, but if you can afford it apply to those too) (See if you can get any fee waivers, though--I imagine you'd be able to get a merit waiver for at least some of the lower-ranked schools).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tazewell and 8 guests