what are my chances for admission, battled cancer, high LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
barberiolisa

New

what are my chances for admission, battled cancer, high LSAT

Post by barberiolisa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:43 am

I was just wondering if someone could please give me advice with this inquiry as follows:

I have been in undergrad for 9 years (2003-2012)...awful I know, with a BA in political science and a minor in Finance. From the onset of my college career, I was diagnosed with cancer and many people felt strongly that the outcome wasnt good, still I found enough inner strength to come to class and try to live my life the very best that I could. My cancer has been in remission for 2 years. However, earlier on in the course of my undergraduate career, my grades were deplorable but I have a 2 year upward trend in grades (4.00) for the last 4 semesters. Those grades since my cancer has been in remission is a full reflection of my potential. However, my gpa I will graduate with, unfortunately, will be 2.49
3. I have studied for 2 years for the LSAT and scored a 172 on it.

(Please answer someone)....Do you think with an abysmal gpa (2.49), with an upward trend in 4.0 grades the last 2 years, some work experience while in undergrad, a good personal statement and addendum which will address the cancer with verifiable documentation attached, with an LSAT at 172, and if I apply early next year in the cycle (Fall)...will there be any Tier 1 or 2 law schools (ranked 20-99) that will possibly take a chance on me?

Platinum

Re: what are my chances for admission, battled cancer, high LSAT

Post by 2014 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm

To directly answer your question, yes there will be schools between 20-99 that will happily accept you and give you money while they are at it. Most of the midwestern T1s would love your LSAT. Just apply anywhere in that range you would be happy to attend and that presents an acceptable employment outcome for you.

It is also worth it to apply to Northwestern and Georgetown too because you never know.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

2014 wrote:To directly answer your question, yes there will be schools between 20-99 that will happily accept you and give you money while they are at it. Most of the midwestern T1s would love your LSAT. Just apply anywhere in that range you would be happy to attend and that presents an acceptable employment outcome for you.

It is also worth it to apply to Northwestern and Georgetown too because you never know.
Agreed. Hard to say with any specificity whether overcoming cancer will offset a 2 point UGPA, even with the upward trend. I'm a cynical bastard when it comes to law school admissions though.

GL!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm a cynic too, but the University of California just loves folks who have overcome adversity. Might be worth an app fee to a couple of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Cancer makes you very different from your typical low GPA applicant, even the ones with semi-reasonable excuses. Don't bet on anything, but I think it's worth applying across the board, including to T14s.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Cancer makes you very different from your typical low GPA applicant, even the ones with semi-reasonable excuses. Don't bet on anything, but I think it's worth applying across the board, including to T14s.
I agree. I think serious medical conditions are one of the few (maybe the only) special cases where a GPA addendum will have a big impact. I know anecdotally one person on here with a sub-3.0 who got into a T6 and had a similar situation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”