Declined number of LSAT takers, more apply to top schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
naillsat

Declined number of LSAT takers, more apply to top schools?

Postby naillsat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm

The number of LSAT takers has been declining for a second year, but I found most top law schools received more applications for the 2011-2012 cycle. Does this mean it's getting harder to get into top law schools while lower tier schools are easier to get in? If this trend is to continue for five years or a decade, will the bottom law schools be forced to close? what's the impact of the declined LSAT takers on the application/admissions and the legal job market five years from now?

TripTrip

Re: Declined number of LSAT takers, more apply to top schools?

Postby TripTrip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 pm

naillsat wrote:If this trend is to continue for five years or a decade, will the bottom law schools be forced to close?

As long as there's shitlaw, there will be shit law schools.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 pm

No one knows what's up 5 years down the road, but for this cycle - admission to the T-14 should about the same or perhaps a little easier. Significantly fewer LSAT takers means there will be fewer high-scoring applicants, and we've seen a few medians drop within the T-14 already.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm

justonemoregame wrote:No one knows what's up 5 years down the road, but for this cycle - admission to the T-14 should about the same or perhaps a little easier. Significantly fewer LSAT takers means there will be fewer high-scoring applicants, and we've seen a few medians drop within the T-14 already.

yep

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:54 am

justonemoregame wrote:No one knows what's up 5 years down the road, but for this cycle - admission to the T-14 should about the same or perhaps a little easier. Significantly fewer LSAT takers means there will be fewer high-scoring applicants, and we've seen a few medians drop within the T-14 already.

Any noteworthy in particular?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 am

megagnarley wrote:

Off the top of my head I think Michigan and rumor is NYU dropped a point. I think some 25/75s changed as well. There's a thread about it in FAQ or Choose a Law School.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
megagnarley wrote:

Off the top of my head I think Michigan and rumor is NYU dropped a point. I think some 25/75s changed as well. There's a thread about it in FAQ or Choose a Law School.

Also Cornell, Georgetown, and Duke.

I'm expecting CCN, VP, and Vandy and UCLA to all drop their medians this year, maybe even HYS. I know TLS and LSN is not fully representative, sample size, etc. but these sites are not nearly as active as they were even one year ago. Schools are going to have to relax their standards or risk contracting their class sizes even more.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 am

BigZuck wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
megagnarley wrote:

Also Cornell, Georgetown, and Duke.

I'm expecting CCN, VP, and Vandy and UCLA to all drop their medians this year, maybe even HYS. I know TLS and LSN is not fully representative, sample size, etc. but these sites are not nearly as active as they were even one year ago. Schools are going to have to relax their standards or risk contracting their class sizes even more.

Harvard and Columbia had a drop in their 75th percentile of 1 point. Harvard went from 176 to 175 and Columbia went from 175 to 174

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”