Seeking advice for C&F Academic Misconduct

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolhopeful321

Seeking advice for C&F Academic Misconduct

Postby lawschoolhopeful321 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Dear TLS,

Throwaway account, but looking for advice/thoughts on my chances. I'll try to be brief and state the facts.

At the end of my junior year, another student in one of my small seminar classes sexually assaulted me. I didn't report it (we had mutual friends, he was well-liked, etc.) but basically fell apart. I stopped attending the class. When it came down to writing the final paper (about a week or two after the rape), I threw together something sloppily, poor paraphrasing etc. I was charged with "improper citation" and was so upset that I couldn't really deal with it. I didn't try to explain or make excuses, but just took the penalty (failing grade, delayed degree confirmation, community service). I ran away and shut down. No need to tell me all the things I could have done differently; I've spent the last three years doing that. I had a lapse of judgment, pure and simple.

Fast forward 3.5 years later. I've been working as a paralegal for 2.5 years, volunteer 36 hours a month as a rape crisis counselor and medical advocate, and am committed to working with vulnerable communities. The assault changed my whole outlook, and I wrote my personal statement about my commitment to public interest law.

169, 3.61 (though would be more like a 3.75 without the failing grade in that class) at HYPS. Leadership in undergraduate, identify as LGBT, and minority (though not URM).

Will any T20 take me? I disclosed everything in an addendum, but since I never reported I don't have any "proof."

It just kind of kills me that no matter how much I try to, I'll never be able to move past this.

TripTrip

Re: Seeking advice for C&F Academic Misconduct

Postby TripTrip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 pm

http://myLSN.info/5sl6bn

Your numbers as they are don't push you out of Tier 1. Of course, the Academic Misconduct doesn't look good, but it will depend on how adcomms read your PS/addendum.

You still have a shot, for sure.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 pm

lawschoolhopeful321 wrote:Dear TLS,

Throwaway account, but looking for advice/thoughts on my chances. I'll try to be brief and state the facts.

At the end of my junior year, another student in one of my small seminar classes sexually assaulted me. I didn't report it (we had mutual friends, he was well-liked, etc.) but basically fell apart. I stopped attending the class. When it came down to writing the final paper (about a week or two after the rape), I threw together something sloppily, poor paraphrasing etc. I was charged with "improper citation" and was so upset that I couldn't really deal with it. I didn't try to explain or make excuses, but just took the penalty (failing grade, delayed degree confirmation, community service). I ran away and shut down. No need to tell me all the things I could have done differently; I've spent the last three years doing that. I had a lapse of judgment, pure and simple.

Fast forward 3.5 years later. I've been working as a paralegal for 2.5 years, volunteer 36 hours a month as a rape crisis counselor and medical advocate, and am committed to working with vulnerable communities. The assault changed my whole outlook, and I wrote my personal statement about my commitment to public interest law.

169, 3.61 (though would be more like a 3.75 without the failing grade in that class) at HYPS. Leadership in undergraduate, identify as LGBT, and minority (though not URM).

Will any T20 take me? I disclosed everything in an addendum, but since I never reported I don't have any "proof."

It just kind of kills me that no matter how much I try to, I'll never be able to move past this.

No experience on the topic, but I think you have a really compelling explanation. Between the minor-ness of the misconduct and the seriousness of the cause of that misconduct, I think an admissions committee will just look at your numbers plain and simple. I think you'll be in at Cornell/GT & below.

lawschoolhopeful321

Postby lawschoolhopeful321 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for the chin-up, guys! I really hope you're right :|

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”