New student loan bill pending in Congress

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
SuperCerealBrah
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
OfferSecured wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
OfferSecured wrote:stupid stuff with incompetent quoting I'm too lazy to fix
So basically you're fine with punishing the worthy just because you're angry at humanities majors?



Humanity majors should not exist.
Yes, there should be no one qualified to teach people how to write well. And art, literature and history are unimportant, and everyone should major in physics. :roll:

I'm an engineering major who thinks you're retarded.


Seconded.

Look,offer secured, I agree somebody should not be taking out $250,000 in loans for a degree that is not very marketable. However, do you honestly believe that getting rid of the humanities would be good for society in general? Then why don't we just get rid of all higher learning and culture that doesn't make a quick profit? I'm sure that would be GREAT for society.

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby drmguy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:48 am

I think we should emphasize math and science much more. The idea that people just aren't math types is ruining the next generation. The humanities are important, but math and science should be the main subjects for k-12.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 am

drmguy wrote:I think we should emphasize math and science much more. The idea that people just aren't math types is ruining the next generation. The humanities are important, but math and science should be the main subjects for k-12.

I don't know about MAIN subjects, because it's important that people be able to communicate well, create art, and know where we came from. But no doubt, we're getting our ass kicked in STEM. I'm appalled at the idiot level of math that American students are allowed to graduate from high school with, let alone college. The GMAT for grad school basically tests what I learned in 8th grade, and I'm no genius.

I also think that the writing skills of most high schoolers are pathetic. Our students are just all kinds of stupid.

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby drmguy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:02 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
drmguy wrote:I think we should emphasize math and science much more. The idea that people just aren't math types is ruining the next generation. The humanities are important, but math and science should be the main subjects for k-12.

I don't know about MAIN subjects, because it's important that people be able to communicate well, create art, and know where we came from. But no doubt, we're getting our ass kicked in STEM. I'm appalled at the idiot level of math that American students are allowed to graduate from high school with, let alone college. The GMAT for grad school basically tests what I learned in 8th grade, and I'm no genius.

I also think that the writing skills of most high schoolers are pathetic. Our students are just all kinds of stupid.

I think that students will throw out the I'm not a math person notion when we teach them from a young age that it requires more effort. I'm talking at least 2:1 math and science hours to everything else.

LeBronBBall
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:36 am

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby LeBronBBall » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm

The job market for science grads (biology, chemistry) is absolutely terrible. Basically, if you don't get into a med school as a science major, you are pretty much fucked. I know kids with good GPA's in science majors from Ivies who are now working as 'research assistants', which is really nothing more than a glorified temp position of cleaning lap equipments and doing mindless data entry, all for $20-25 an hour, no benefits, no health, no career progression, etc. In sum, it is a HUGE dead end.

By 'science', if you mean engineering or applied physics, then it's a different story. However, even within engineering, some majors aren't in high demand and a lot of recent grads in those fields are without a job. (mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, aerospace engineering are some engineering majors with limited jobs/ career upshot)

As for math, it can be a marketable major for a number of industries. But, statistics/ applied math > theoretical math, for employment purposes.

Lastly, humanities majors can be marketable if you play your cards right. A BA in psychology from Harvard, when combined with high GPA and proper internships, can get you a six figure entry level job in I-banking, trading, or consulting. In fact, my best friend was a poli sci major from HYP, now works at a bulge bracket investment bank as a trader, pulling in 300k a year as a 25 year old.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:24 pm

LeBronBBall wrote:humanities majors can be marketable if you play your cards right. A BA in psychology from Harvard, when combined with high GPA and proper internships, can get you a six figure entry level job in I-banking, trading, or consulting. In fact, my best friend was a poli sci major from HYP, now works at a bulge bracket investment bank as a trader, pulling in 300k a year as a 25 year old.

sadsituationJD
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby sadsituationJD » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:51 am

Higher education is simply yesterday's tomorrow. The US will never again create any decent jobs or have a middle class. Best you can hope for the government throws you some crumbs here and there (food stamps, Section 8 etc). That's why I voted for Obama. He at least gives the poors a chance. Romney is still spouting the old "bootstraps" nonsense and talking about college lol. Earth to Mitt: it's not 1965 anymore. We are essentially now a third-world country, with ultra rich people like Romney and working poor like insurance defenders and other pathetic losers with degrees working crappy paper-pushing gigs. Subtract student loans from salary and the average shitlawyer may as well just work manual labor or fast food.

The trouble with math & science is that Indians and Asians are so much better at it, and there's a whole continent of them willing to do this work for peanuts. Or they can come here on an H1-B visa.

I have a cousin who recently dropped out of high school (which I applaud). He makes about a grand a week cash haulling scrap metal and doing odd jobs. That's more than most on this board will make with a JD and bar admission rotfl:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... ssion.html

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby rvadog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 pm

There is so much fail in the thread directly above this I don't even know where to start.

onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby onionz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:44 pm

dingbat wrote:
LeBronBBall wrote:humanities majors can be marketable if you play your cards right. A BA in psychology from Harvard, when combined with high GPA and proper internships, can get you a six figure entry level job in I-banking, trading, or consulting. In fact, my best friend was a poli sci major from HYP, now works at a bulge bracket investment bank as a trader, pulling in 300k a year as a 25 year old.


I actually know multiple Harvard graduates who graduated in classics/psychology/history etc who do ibanking and similar and make a lot of money. I think it has a lot more do with Harvard than a humanities major though.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby spleenworship » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:50 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:Higher education is simply yesterday's tomorrow. The US will never again create any decent jobs or have a middle class. Best you can hope for the government throws you some crumbs here and there (food stamps, Section 8 etc). That's why I voted for Obama. He at least gives the poors a chance. Romney is still spouting the old "bootstraps" nonsense and talking about college lol. Earth to Mitt: it's not 1965 anymore. We are essentially now a third-world country, with ultra rich people like Romney and working poor like insurance defenders and other pathetic losers with degrees working crappy paper-pushing gigs. Subtract student loans from salary and the average shitlawyer may as well just work manual labor or fast food.

The trouble with math & science is that Indians and Asians are so much better at it, and there's a whole continent of them willing to do this work for peanuts. Or they can come here on an H1-B visa.

I have a cousin who recently dropped out of high school (which I applaud). He makes about a grand a week cash haulling scrap metal and doing odd jobs. That's more than most on this board will make with a JD and bar admission rotfl:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... ssion.html



What is this.... I don't even....

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:27 pm

SemperLegal wrote:I never liked IBR, its essentially an incentive for colleges to charge whatever they want, for students to disregard actual costs, and a massive liability for the tax payer. It needs to go away, though I would like debts that were already disbursed, and maybe one grace year to be included.

I think it makes sense to get rid of government-backed student loans completely and replace them with a few need based loan systems. The reason that UC tuition has gone through the roof is because of those loans. If you cut them, schools will begin to cut costs and create their own payment plans to draw in the cash cows that are undergraduate students. I think fairness only requires equal access to a college degree, not to an elite college degree. This does mean that states will have to fund their public education system better., and may have to modify there course load and facilities to better reflect modern education. This also would require an actually meaningfulness public high school system and community college system.

As an aside, elite schools (HPY) will do what they always did, admit rich people and continue to use them as cash cows to fuel a massive endowment and fund merit scholarships.

As for graduate school, there should be no public aid at all. If you want to go to graduate school either find a funded position, work a decade, or make your case to a private lender. When graduate students can't pay 70k a year and seats start going empty, tuition rates will fall.


I agree with what you are saying, but you are wrong about bolded. HYPS don't give merit scholarships. Aid is completely need-based (although their definition of need is quite liberal - for example, at H, free for those whose families make up to 60K, 10% of family income for 60K-180K; that formula is it, so merit doesn't come into the picture although, of course, all students are at these schools are meritorious). The aid programs at these schools, which are generous, is why I am mildly annoyed when people say they couldn't attend HYP because of cost. I am not saying that never happens since it is conceivable under the system I described, but when someone says that, people are thinking s/he is a low-income student being asked to pay 50K a year, which is not the case.

Because of what someone said earlier about Harvard BAs having a decent shot at a very high-paying job right out of school, I think if you get into H (not getting in is usually the limiting factor, not cost) and your family makes 70K a year and can't put any of it toward tuition, you should take out loans to cover the 28K + whatever living expenses aren't covered (books, travel) and defray the costs with summer jobs, which can make a dent in 7K/year tuition. 10 40-hour weeks at $10/hour will get you a couple thousand after taxes. /procrastinatory rant

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:31 pm

spleenworship wrote:
sadsituationJD wrote:Higher education is simply yesterday's tomorrow. The US will never again create any decent jobs or have a middle class. Best you can hope for the government throws you some crumbs here and there (food stamps, Section 8 etc). That's why I voted for Obama. He at least gives the poors a chance. Romney is still spouting the old "bootstraps" nonsense and talking about college lol. Earth to Mitt: it's not 1965 anymore. We are essentially now a third-world country, with ultra rich people like Romney and working poor like insurance defenders and other pathetic losers with degrees working crappy paper-pushing gigs. Subtract student loans from salary and the average shitlawyer may as well just work manual labor or fast food.

The trouble with math & science is that Indians and Asians are so much better at it, and there's a whole continent of them willing to do this work for peanuts. Or they can come here on an H1-B visa.

I have a cousin who recently dropped out of high school (which I applaud). He makes about a grand a week cash haulling scrap metal and doing odd jobs. That's more than most on this board will make with a JD and bar admission rotfl:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... ssion.html



What is this.... I don't even....



Hahahahahahaha. Even Clint Eastwood thinks your rambling.

l0g0s
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby l0g0s » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Thought I'd post an update on the bill this post was (at some point, I think?) about:

Killed in committee.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr6674

User avatar
md22
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: New student loan bill pending in Congress

Postby md22 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:00 pm

spleenworship wrote:
sadsituationJD wrote:Higher education is simply yesterday's tomorrow. The US will never again create any decent jobs or have a middle class. Best you can hope for the government throws you some crumbs here and there (food stamps, Section 8 etc). That's why I voted for Obama. He at least gives the poors a chance. Romney is still spouting the old "bootstraps" nonsense and talking about college lol. Earth to Mitt: it's not 1965 anymore. We are essentially now a third-world country, with ultra rich people like Romney and working poor like insurance defenders and other pathetic losers with degrees working crappy paper-pushing gigs. Subtract student loans from salary and the average shitlawyer may as well just work manual labor or fast food.

The trouble with math & science is that Indians and Asians are so much better at it, and there's a whole continent of them willing to do this work for peanuts. Or they can come here on an H1-B visa.

I have a cousin who recently dropped out of high school (which I applaud). He makes about a grand a week cash haulling scrap metal and doing odd jobs. That's more than most on this board will make with a JD and bar admission rotfl:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... ssion.html



What is this.... I don't even....


Your avatar makes this response so damn epic. I actually whispered it in an Eastwood-esque manner. :lol:

edit: didn't realize this was a dead thread. lol. Still, epic response!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], carlos_danger, ponderingmeerkat and 3 guests