Binding ED Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheJanitor6203

Binding ED Question

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 am

My numbers aren't very good, 3.2 GPA and I haven't taken the LSAT yet but I'm expecting something like a 163ish. I don't really have any chance of getting into a T14 school but I wanted to apply ED anyways just because if I have any chance at getting into one, it will be ED. But the problem is that almost all of them are binding ED. So my question is.. Since I basically stand no chance of getting into any of them, much less more than one, could I apply to all of them ED? Do they talk to each? What if the moons aligned and I got into two of them?

TheThriller

Re: Binding ED Question

Postby TheThriller » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 am

Don't waste your money.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:21 am

TheThriller wrote:Don't waste your money.

I believe certain schools in the t14 do send a list of EDers to other schools? I can't remember the Dean who stated this... Michigan? Penn?

In any case. Don't begin your journey as a lawyer with lies/infractions.

Also, don't settle for a 163. Go study.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:27 am

dproduct wrote:

You are right about starting right.

Also, I don't think 163 is settling for me. Like I said, I haven't taken it yet but I think a 163 is a realistic expectation. My first PT was a 147 and after a month of studying I'm up to 154. I have a full time job, do school part time and I've got 2 kids.. I'm studying but it's rough. I'm not taking any classes in January so I can devote the entire month to LSAT prep.. but again, I'll be happy in the mid 160's.

Thanks for the responses.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:32 am

Don't know why people haven't been more explicit. If you ED to more than 1 school at same time you give yourself a great chance of not being able to practice law after graduation. Do not do this. It is lying, it is morally wrong, and you will get in trouble for it regardless.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 am

Br3v wrote:Don't know why people haven't been more explicit. If you ED to more than 1 school at same time you give yourself a great chance of not being able to practice law after graduation. Do not do this. It is lying, it is morally wrong, and you will get in trouble for it regardless.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for spelling it out for me.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:19 am

But to be clear, I can apply to as many non binding ED programs as I want plus one binding, current?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:40 am

I know you don't want to hear it, but you wont get into a T14 school with a 3.2/163 unless you are a URM.

Like I said, save your money, if you are applying to all the top non-binding ED/EA programs (most of which deadlines have expired), you are throwing away $100s of dollars

B90

Postby B90 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 am

If it is not binding, there is little or no "advantage". The idea is that your guarantee of tuition dollars makes you more appealing to them. Otherwise, you are simply telling them you want to go there, which is exactly what you're doing when you send in any application. The only "advantage" to you of EA or non-binding ED is they promise to give you a decision by a certain date.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:05 am

Br3v wrote:Don't know why people haven't been more explicit. If you ED to more than 1 school at same time you give yourself a great chance of not being able to practice law after graduation. Do not do this. It is lying, it is morally wrong, and you will get in trouble for it regardless.

I must be missing something, because I'm not seeing how applying to more than one binding ED program is morally wrong or a potential C&F issue, as long as you withdraw all of your other applications the instant you're accepted to one of the programs with a binding ED.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:21 am

ScottRiqui wrote:

I must be missing something, because I'm not seeing how applying to more than one binding ED program is morally wrong or a potential C&F issue, as long as you withdraw all of your other applications the instant you're accepted to one of the programs with a binding ED.

You missed the part where you are supposed to read the ED contract. Please stop giving advice about something you don't know much about.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 am

Br3v wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

You missed the part where you are supposed to read the ED contract. Please stop giving advice about something you don't know much about.

I wasn't giving advice - I was admitting my confusion and acknowledging right up front that I must be missing something. Thanks for the clarification. I still don't think that the idea of applying ED to more than one school is immoral in and of itself, but if it's against the rules, it's against the rules.
Last edited by ScottRiqui on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Br3v wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

I wasn't giving advice - I was admitting my confusion and acknowledging right up front that I must be missing something. Thanks for the clarification. I still don't think that applying ED to more than one school is immoral in and of itself, but if it's against the rules, it's against the rules.

Fair enough.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 am

Another related question about ED applications. It makes sense that applying (binding) ED to more than one school is immoral and against the rules, but does that also apply if you apply ED to another school after you get dinged from the first school (that you had applied ED to)? I seem to remember hearing that some schools do not like that as well--that is, applying ED to multiple schools in one cycle but not simultaneously--but is that dependent on specific schools or a blanket C&F issue?

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 pm

I've got to say that I think that it would not be unethical to apply to multiple binding ED schools as long as you withdrew any other applications once you got except at any one of the binding schools. But regardless, I understand that rules are rules and on that note; I found another thread that helps answer this question.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192725&hilit=binding+early+decision

After reading through this, some schools specifically prohibit you from applying to any other binding school but most do not say you can't, they just say you must withdraw all other applications upon selection.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:44 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:I've got to say that I think that it would not be unethical to apply to multiple binding ED schools as long as you withdrew any other applications once you got except at any one of the binding schools. But regardless, I understand that rules are rules and on that note; I found another thread that helps answer this question.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192725&hilit=binding+early+decision

After reading through this, some schools specifically prohibit you from applying to any other binding school but most do not say you can't, they just say you must withdraw all other applications upon selection.

That link is really helpful, thanks!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Suralin wrote:Another related question about ED applications. It makes sense that applying (binding) ED to more than one school is immoral and against the rules, but does that also apply if you apply ED to another school after you get dinged from the first school (that you had applied ED to)? I seem to remember hearing that some schools do not like that as well--that is, applying ED to multiple schools in one cycle but not simultaneously--but is that dependent on specific schools or a blanket C&F issue?

Generally it is ok to apply ED, if denied or WL then you can apply to school 2 as ED. Though some schools say "you cant ED to us if you have already ED'ed to someone else"

CatFacts

Postby CatFacts » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:07 pm

dproduct wrote:

I believe certain schools in the t14 do send a list of EDers to other schools? I can't remember the Dean who stated this... Michigan? Penn?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was curious about the above statement. So if a borderline applicant opted for ED to one T-14 and was waitlisted, does it affect chances of admission to the other T-14s assuming they receive a list of all ED applicants? I was just wondering if the other T-14s would see the failed ED attempt and not be as inclined to accept a borderline applicant who expressed stronger interest in a different school.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:30 pm

CatFacts wrote:
dproduct wrote:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was curious about the above statement. So if a borderline applicant opted for ED to one T-14 and was waitlisted, does it affect chances of admission to the other T-14s assuming they receive a list of all ED applicants? I was just wondering if the other T-14s would see the failed ED attempt and not be as inclined to accept a borderline applicant who expressed stronger interest in a different school.

Read my above comment.
If school allows you to ED after EDing somewhere else then getting denied or WL, then I doubt they will care or even realize you ED'ed somewhere else before.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 pm

When I applied to schools, I remember there being exclusive ED apps and non-exclusive ones; some schools stated in their ED contracts that applicants could not apply ED to another school for that entire cycle.

That said, I'm pretty sure you cannot apply ED at the same time to multiple schools. But there is some strategy -- back then, at least, UVA promised that a result would be handed to ED applicants within 2 weeks of submission; this meant that rejected applicants could ED once again to another school (that didn't require an exclusive ED commitment).

CatFacts

Postby CatFacts » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Br3v wrote:
CatFacts wrote:
dproduct wrote:

Read my above comment.
If school allows you to ED after EDing somewhere else then getting denied or WL, then I doubt they will care or even realize you ED'ed somewhere else before.

Okay, thanks. I was aware of that policy but I guess it's the paranoia settling in from not having applied early enough to have had a second shot with another ED.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Double check if you can ED after EDing somewhere else, but I think UVA for examples allows EDs up till the tail end of the cycle.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Penn and Duke also have second round ED's in January

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”