Unique non-urm background question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ehumanzada

New

Unique non-urm background question

Post by ehumanzada » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm

k
Last edited by ehumanzada on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Re: Unique non-urm background question

Post by spleenworship » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm going to say some stuff, not to be mean, but for reals:

1) that isn't very unique
2) do not put in to any application materials that you think like a SEAL.
3) Just get the best LSAT score you can, you need to get about 170 with that GPA to get any kind of scholly that makes LS worth going to for you.

4) consider signing up for the military in the infantry or something similar if that is of interest to you. Not all combat arms require a high security clearance.

ETA: Re-read, adding the following:

5) LOLOLOLOL @ transferring. There is a 90% chance that won't happen, and you CANNOT BANK ON IT. Go to a law school you wouldn't mind graduating from.

6) T30 schools are out of the question for you with a 2.5 unless you get above a 170. But if you get above a 170, consider a strong regional school with a full scholly instead.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:42 pm

You know what they called someone who almost joined the military?

A civilian.

You are a car salesman with a bad GPA.

ehumanzada

New

Post by ehumanzada » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 pm

thanks for a quick response

@Spleenworship:
I am not going to bank on transferring. and yes I will only go to a school that I feel would be worth graduating from.
But that is a personal goal of mine and even though I know the chances are slim it is a worthwhile goal to have as a 1L if anything, just as a motivation.

@semperlegal:
well I am not a car sales man any more. I am more of a pretty decent bartender with a less than average, yet not the most terrible UGPA ;)

ehumanzada

New

Post by ehumanzada » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Also what is the definition of a "regional school"?
top 50-100 programs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

spleenworship wrote:I'm going to say some stuff, not to be mean, but for reals:

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

ehumanzada wrote:Also what is the definition of a "regional school"?
top 50-100 programs?
It's a lower-ranked school that gives you a pretty good shot at a job *in the region where it's located*, but won't have much "reach" outside of that region. As an example, if you wanted to practice in Dallas, SMU is a solid regional choice.

ehumanzada

New

Post by ehumanzada » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm

should I write an addendum for my low gpa?
I feel like I shouldn't because I really have no other reasons than that I was immature and did not try hard.
It seems that addendum should only be written if you have a specific reason ie. medical or mental issues, that led to your short-term low grades. Am I right to believe that and not write an addendum?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:00 pm

ehumanzada wrote:should I write an addendum for my low gpa?
I feel like I shouldn't because I really have no other reasons than that I was immature and did not try hard.
It seems that addendum should only be written if you have a specific reason ie. medical or mental issues, that led to your short-term low grades. Am I right to believe that and not write an addendum?
You're correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Like you, I am a long-time lurker, and I have been waiting to make my first post. You seem have both a healthy sense of humor and a thick skin. Those are rare qualities that will take you far in life, especially law school. Now for the obligatory advice--please in the name of all that is holy and just, stop beginning sentences with the word "but", especially twice in a row!
Remember the person reading can't see you and doesn't know your background (or probably care), so you won't be given any grace because English isn't your first language. Actually, you may be judged more harshly since that fact isn't obvious from your writing style (please take that first as a compliment, then as a challenge; I would have assumed you just had poor or lazy grammar skills, or were typing on your phone).
I realize this is an online forum and not entirely a professional situation, but you may be surprised to learn (I was) how much correspondence an attorney handles via email. It doesn't hurt to change habits early. To quote my high school English professor, "practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect."
In all seriousness, I wish you the best. You have been given some great advice in this thread (with an uncharacteristically mild amount of snark, given the obvious opportunities). I hope you take it to heart, and avoid having to learn it the hard way.
Last edited by B90 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 pm

I've got a similar family story OP (without the prestigious private school bit, also a bit younger when I moved here)

I'm hoping it's enough for them to give me some leniency for my lack of extracurriculars...and that's about it.

I highly doubt it will give you any kind of significant boost.

All you can do now is get that 170+ LSAT. Your GPA for LS is absolutely terrible, but you do have a chance at the T30 with a 170+.
http://myLSN.info/wgzasa

Goodluck.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:45 pm

spleenworship wrote:
To the OP - please do yourself a favor and never say such things in front of a real operator, because it's going to be hugely embarrassing. I worked full-time with a special operations unit, and I mean "full-time" as in "24/7." The team guys respected me for the job I did with them, and I got along really well with them, but they would have just laughed if I ever said something like that. I don't think anyone truly understands what it is to think like an operator until he's gone through all the requisite training and then has had a couple of years under his belt.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 pm

wert3813 wrote:
heythatslife wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
To the OP - please do yourself a favor and never say such things in front of a real operator, because it's going to be hugely embarrassing. I worked full-time with a special operations unit, and I mean "full-time" as in "24/7." The team guys respected me for the job I did with them, and I got along really well with them, but they would have just laughed if I ever said something like that. I don't think anyone truly understands what it is to think like an operator until he's gone through all the requisite training and then has had a couple of years under his belt.
In fairness to the OP he didn't say he thought like a SEAL. He wrote a fragment about the SEAL mentality that didn't seem to relate to anything.

OP it seems to me you have no clue what the hell you want to do with your life. Might I suggest taking some time, figuring that out and then considering LS? The fact is you are a prime candidate to graduate from LS with a ton of debt and no job.

If you are serious about the military it seems like that might be able to provide you with some structure. Consider enlisting in a position that doesn't require an SC
This is fair. And good advice.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:01 am

spleenworship wrote:
wert3813 wrote:OP it seems to me you have no clue what the hell you want to do with your life. Might I suggest taking some time, figuring that out and then considering LS? The fact is you are a prime candidate to graduate from LS with a ton of debt and no job.

If you are serious about the military it seems like that might be able to provide you with some structure. Consider enlisting in a position that doesn't require an SC
This is fair. And good advice.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”