[deleted]

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I retake a 171?

Definitely
5
13%
Only if you are PT'ing at ~174-176
7
18%
Only if you are PT'ing at ~177-180
19
48%
No
9
23%
 
Total votes: 40

doing_it_in_a_car
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

[deleted]

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:11 pm

[deleted]
Thanks everyone!
Last edited by doing_it_in_a_car on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:I studied hard for 3 months, and my highest PT score was a 170. I somehow managed to nab a 171.

Could you have studied harder? Were you on an upward swing still near the end? What schools are you looking at? I'm leaning towards no because of the quoted (which you apparently edited).

doing_it_in_a_car
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by doing_it_in_a_car on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 pm

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:I think I could have studied harder. I was improving all the way through to exam day. And I had a feeling that there were still parts of the test I hadn't mastered.

If NYU is your dream school, definitely retake. If you're holding off on applying until next cycle anyway, definitely retake. Good luck OP.

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby jas1503 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 pm

What makes NYU your 'dream' school?

doing_it_in_a_car
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by doing_it_in_a_car on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 pm

My first reaction: How far can you stretch a 3.2X GPA ? (Especially without post undergraduate work experience.)

What is/was your major ?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm

To state the obvious: Retake if you believe that your score will improve. You have the time & it seems as if you're motivated. if NYU is your first choice, then you need a 174 or higher with your GPA. Plus, a higher score might draw positive attention from Northwestern and other lower T-14s.

joedf
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby joedf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Study up regardless. You always have the option of cancelling or not taking the test later, but for now just keep studying if you're still interested, and if the practice exam scores start averaging mid-170's go ahead and retake.

doing_it_in_a_car
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:07 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by doing_it_in_a_car on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm

If you're above a school's law school median, then a higher score may not help significantly. Your situation is interesting because your actual score exceeded your highest PT, yet more is needed to attract scholarship money from, for example, Northwestern. Retake if you have the time & energy.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you're above a school's law school median, then a higher score may not help significantly. Your situation is interesting because your actual score exceeded your highest PT, yet more is needed to attract scholarship money from, for example, Northwestern. Retake if you have the time & energy.

Usually credited, but NYU is weird about this kinda crap (i.e. waitlisting 3.2/171 but admitting 3.2/175+).

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby eric922 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 pm

First of all, make sure NYU only accepts the highest score and does not average them. If they average your scores then you need to seriously think before you retake it as it might actually hurt you. If they simply take the highest score, then if you really think you can improve your score by even a few points I would suggest a retake. Based on my research (which honestly consists of reading these forums, lawschooldisussion.org, Lawschoolnumbers) your LSAT score is vitally important in terms of making up for a low GPA.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby North » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm

eric922 wrote:First of all, make sure NYU only accepts the highest score and does not average them. If they average your scores then you need to seriously think before you retake it as it might actually hurt you. If they simply take the highest score, then if you really think you can improve your score by even a few points I would suggest a retake. Based on my research (which honestly consists of reading these forums, lawschooldisussion.org, Lawschoolnumbers) your LSAT score is vitally important in terms of making up for a low GPA.

Schools don't actually average, bro. Even the ones that say they do.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Splitter (3.2x 171) Should I retake?

Postby eric922 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:46 pm

North wrote:
eric922 wrote:First of all, make sure NYU only accepts the highest score and does not average them. If they average your scores then you need to seriously think before you retake it as it might actually hurt you. If they simply take the highest score, then if you really think you can improve your score by even a few points I would suggest a retake. Based on my research (which honestly consists of reading these forums, lawschooldisussion.org, Lawschoolnumbers) your LSAT score is vitally important in terms of making up for a low GPA.

Schools don't actually average, bro. Even the ones that say they do.

Oh, well that's good to know. You learn something new everyday.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], m052310, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests