Question Answered

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmsae

Question Answered

Postby jmsae » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Edit - Emailed my professor who helped me out.

nickb285

Re: School Shooting + GPA Addendum

Postby nickb285 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Disclaimer: I'm a 0L and mostly talking out of my ass. That said...

If it were one or two semesters where you were dealing with the friend's trauma and family difficulties and got bad grades, I would say absolutely write an addendum. However, you say that you have two years of bad grades and two years of good grades, so it seems like you would run the risk of having adcomms think that a) you were using someone else's tragedy as an excuse for your two years of crap grades, or b) you have such a tough time with stressful situations that difficulties faced by friends affect every aspect of your life for years at a time, which may reflect on your ability to handle the rigors of law school. Either way, not what you want to show them.

I understand where you're coming from--I had a semester in which a friend of mine suffered an extremely traumatic event and was staying with me for a while, which entailed a lot of late nights staying up with her and mornings where the last thing I felt like doing was getting up and going to read about Nietzsche. But I had a pattern of low grades before that time as well, so had I written a GPA addendum it would have been centered around admitting my lack of maturity (since that was the cause for the prior two years of low grades) rather than the situation with my friend (which really only affected one semester).

Considering that it's debatable how much addenda really help anyway, I would say your best options are either a) don't write an addendum, and rock the heck out of the LSAT, or b) write an addendum that, while it mentions personal difficulties, does not focus or elaborate or feel like you're giving an excuse, and rock the heck out of the LSAT.
Last edited by nickb285 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nickb285

Re: Question Answered

Postby nickb285 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Well fine then, just go talk to someone helpful. God.

jmsae

Re: Question Answered

Postby jmsae » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”