Degree choice for Law schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarvardHopeful93

New

Degree choice for Law schools

Post by HarvardHopeful93 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 am

Hey guys,
I know most law schools don't care which major you take as long as you have the GPA to get in. But I have talked with several people that say an interdepartmental degree between Political Science-Economics is frowned upon as compared to simply double majoring in Political Science AND Economics. At my school (IU), it would take 60 credits for a double major (30 per each major), whereas it would take 42 credits for the combined Poly Sci-Econ degree. Are there any downfalls to the interdepartmental major? Is it looked negatively upon?

Thanks guys

NoodleyOne

Gold

Re: Degree choice for Law schools

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 am

Does.

Not.

Matter.

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Does.

Not.

Matter.
+1

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 am

Do the major(s) that you enjoy and can get the highest gpa in.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 pm

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:But I have talked with several people that say an interdepartmental degree between Political Science-Economics is frowned upon as compared to simply double majoring in Political Science AND Economics.
Same advice as posters above.

And probably disregard future law school advice from the quoted sources.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Pick a major that'll help you get a job after. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 pm

dkb17xzx wrote:Pick a major that'll help you get a job after.
This

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 pm

1. Get online degree
2. Get 170+ Lsat
3. Get into a T6 with those numbers
4. ??
5. Profit

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

TheThriller wrote:1. Get online degree
2. Get 170+ Lsat
4. ??
5. Profit

Has anyone with an online BA ever actually gotten into a T6 that we know of?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 pm

spleenworship wrote:
2. Get 170+ Lsat
4. ??
5. Profit

OP could be the FIRST.

But yes, I believe there are 1 or 2 military vets who completed their college online, scored 170+ (174 for one of them I think) and was accepted into Harvard.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 pm

TheThriller wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
2. Get 170+ Lsat
4. ??
5. Profit

OP could be the FIRST.

But yes, I believe there are 1 or 2 military vets who completed their college online, scored 170+ (174 for one of them I think) and was accepted into Harvard.

I got my degree online from local state school. My GPA was, however, awful. So I didn't apply above T20. I got in most places without any issues because I took my classes online, but I didn't apply to the top tier, so I was just curious.

I do wonder how much the military service was seen as a good excuse for online education by the admissions deans in those situations though. I wonder if a non-servicemember would get the same breaks.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 pm

spleenworship wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
2. Get 170+ Lsat
4. ??
5. Profit

OP could be the FIRST.

I got my degree online from local state school. My GPA was, however, awful. So I didn't apply above T20. I got in most places without any issues because I took my classes online, but I didn't apply to the top tier, so I was just curious.

I do wonder how much the military service was seen as a good excuse for online education by the admissions deans in those situations though. I wonder if a non-servicemember would get the same breaks.
Oh probably most likely not. And you probably have to assume these were not run of the mill enlistees.

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Can your degree have a negative effect on what type of law you want to practice (or think you want to as a 0L)? I'm a CJ major who is mostly interested in transactional biglaw. Grades at LS are the most important, that goes without saying. But would biglaw firms be wary of hiring someone with a CJ or liberal arts degree for transactional work?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 pm

AllDangle wrote:Can your degree have a negative effect on what type of law you want to practice (or think you want to as a 0L)? I'm a CJ major who is mostly interested in transactional biglaw. Grades at LS are the most important, that goes without saying. But would biglaw firms be wary of hiring someone with a CJ or liberal arts degree for transactional work?
Top LS grades are Top LS grades. It won't hurt you. Relevant WE may help you but CJ as a major won't hurt you if you have the grades.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Br3v wrote:Do the major(s) that you enjoy and can get the highest gpa in.
this is the correct answer.

The best series of events would be if you 100% are going to law school:

1. Pick easy major at cheap school with lots of boozes and lots of sex
2. Do it in 5 years, with your last semester only 6 hours, so you can study for LSAT
3. Super high GPA cuz easy school (that gives A+s)
4. Go abroad for at least a year, soaking in the sun and suds, while applying for school
5. Come back, and go to YSHCCN and kiss the rest of your life goodbye.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:04 pm

AllDangle wrote:Can your degree have a negative effect on what type of law you want to practice (or think you want to as a 0L)?
The easy answer is IP law, which requires a technical UG.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:40 pm

dingbat wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Can your degree have a negative effect on what type of law you want to practice (or think you want to as a 0L)?
+1

Although, if all you want to do is preserve the opportunity to sit the patent bar as a "Category A" (the most straightforward way to qualify for the patent bar), there are easier and harder ways to do that, too. I can't help but think that a bachelor's in "general chemistry" or "food technology" is going to be easier than electrical engineering or physics.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:06 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
dingbat wrote:
+1

Although, if all you want to do is preserve the opportunity to sit the patent bar as a "Category A" (the most straightforward way to qualify for the patent bar), there are easier and harder ways to do that, too. I can't help but think that a bachelor's in "general chemistry" or "food technology" is going to be easier than electrical engineering or physics.
I found this out my Junior year. I wish I would have known earlier. I'm a government major but work as a web developer. Could have easily gotten a comp sci degree as well and have gone into IP law (which, I'm interested in).

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:16 pm

elblufer wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
dingbat wrote:
+1

I found this out my Junior year. I wish I would have known earlier. I'm a government major but work as a web developer. Could have easily gotten a comp sci degree as well and have gone into IP law (which, I'm interested in).
Well, Computer Science is tricky - it doesn't automatically qualify you to sit the patent bar unless it was ABET-accredited by the Computer Accreditation Commission, or CSAB-accredited by the Computer Science Accreditation Commission. All the other technical degrees that the US Patent & Trademark Office lists for "Category A" qualification are automatic.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
dingbat wrote:
+1

Ya, having the option of doing it as a mechanical engineering major is cool, but it doesn't outweigh my crappy GPA because of how hard my classes were

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:40 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Pick a major that'll help you get a job after.
This

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:05 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Well, Computer Science is tricky - it doesn't automatically qualify you to sit the patent bar unless it was ABET-accredited by the Computer Accreditation Commission, or CSAB-accredited by the Computer Science Accreditation Commission. All the other technical degrees that the US Patent & Trademark Office lists for "Category A" qualification are automatic.
I originally was gonna say that the other easy answer is that a non-accredited UG can have a negative effect on getting into any school other than Cooley, which would affect the type of law you want to practice

hq2x

New

Post by hq2x » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:
2. Get 170+ Lsat
4. ??
5. Profit

Pretty sure awhile back someone got into Yale with a U Phoenix degree and it wasn't a troll... I'll try to find the thread.

DougieFresh

New

Post by DougieFresh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 pm

2. Get 170+ Lsat
4. ??
5. Profit

TheThriller

Gold