Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
MS415
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby MS415 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm

I am new to this board and I have not yet started applying to law schools. I took the LSAT once and didn't do well. I am currently prepping for the Feb 13' LSAT and I am currently doing 155-157 on my PT tests, self-studying with PS books. Just wondering if anyone here has similar numbers to me ( GPA=3.30/ LSAT 155). I am URM with decent softs. What are your experiences with the law school application process?

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Which URM?

User avatar
MS415
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby MS415 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Asian/Pacific Islander American

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby TheThriller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Asian is not a URM

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Asians are ORMs

Here is what youre looking at with your current numbers: http://myLSN.info/vlnt0p

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:39 pm

This may also be helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194151

User avatar
MS415
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby MS415 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm

ORM= Over represented minority?

I realize I have made a mistake. Anyway, I looked it up and it seems that Asians are not considered URM. Unfortunately, being Filipino does not change that ( since Filipinos are under the Asian umbrella). Thanks for helping me see that.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:49 pm

MS415 wrote:ORM= Over represented minority?


Yep. Plenty of Asians in law school relative to their population in the US.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:33 pm

MS415 wrote:I am new to this board and I have not yet started applying to law schools. I took the LSAT once and didn't do well. I am currently prepping for the Feb 13' LSAT and I am currently doing 155-157 on my PT tests, self-studying with PS books. Just wondering if anyone here has similar numbers to me ( GPA=3.30/ LSAT 155). I am URM with decent softs. What are your experiences with the law school application process?

You need to get your LSAT way, way up if you have any chance at going to a school with good career prospects, because your GPA is not going to get your any scholarship money and law school is going to be very expensive for you. I say this as someone with a sub-3.4 GPA. If you are still in school, get your GPA up.

Study super hard for the LSAT and take it as many times as you need to to get the score you want. Apply as early in the cycle as possible (think mid-September to early October). And don't think you have to apply to law school next year if you get a shitty score on the LSAT in February.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby LexLeon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Yale and several other excellent schools have chapters of APALSA, which is listed among their other affinity groups such as BLSA and LLSA.

This is highly suggestive of the fact that Pacific Islanders--notwithstanding that all Asians as a group may be overrepresented; yet no one here provided data to support that claim--are considered underrepresented minorities for purposes of admission, just like the members of those other affinity groups.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 pm

LexLeon wrote: This is highly suggestive of the fact that Pacific Islanders--notwithstanding that all Asians as a group may be overrepresented; yet no one here provided data to support that claim--are considered underrepresented minorities for purposes of admission, just like the members of those other affinity groups.


No. The fact you think having their own club is "highly suggestive" of being a URM makes me LOL.

They represent .4 percent of the population. That has nothing to do with their representation at law schools.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:24 pm

LexLeon wrote:Yale and several other excellent schools have chapters of APALSA, which is listed among their other affinity groups such as BLSA and LLSA.

This is highly suggestive of the fact that Pacific Islanders--notwithstanding that all Asians as a group may be overrepresented; yet no one here provided data to support that claim--are considered underrepresented minorities for purposes of admission, just like the members of those other affinity groups.


Is this an LR test?

a) That one particular group is associated with other particular groups on one particular web page does not imply the former and latter groups receive the same treatment generally.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm

LexLeon wrote:notwithstanding that all Asians as a group may be overrepresented; yet no one here provided data to support that claim--.


Some stuff is so obvious it doesnt need to be cited. But here you go,

Out of the total U.S. population, 14.7 million people, or 4.8 percent, were Asian alone. In addition, 2.6 million people, or another 0.9 percent, reported Asian in combination with one or more other races. Together, these two groups totaled 17.3 million people. Thus, 5.6 percent of all people in the United States identified as Asian, either alone or in combination with one or more other races.
--LinkRemoved--


At the various professional and graduate schools that make up 64% of Harvard's combined enrollment of 18,597, the highest concentrations of Asian Americans are found in the Dental School (28%), Medical (24%), Design (18%) and Public Health (11%). The other graduate divisions are: Business (10%), Law (10%), Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (6%), Education (6%) and Education (6%).

http://goldsea.com/AAU/harstan.html

Caucasians comprised the largest percentage of test takers. African American test
takers and Asian/Pacific Islander test takers, respectively, were the next largest
subgroups in terms of percentages.
Average LSAT scores were highest for Caucasian and Asian/Pacific Islander test
takers. African American test takers and Puerto Rican test takers had the lowest
mean LSAT scores.
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/resea ... -12-03.pdf

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:32 pm

My school has a Jewish Law Students' Association. I'm so glad to hear that means I'm a URM.

Edited for inability to write what I was thinking.
Last edited by Lincoln on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby hume85 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Lincoln wrote:My group has a Jewish Law Students' Association. I'm so glad to hear that means I'm a URM.

:lol: :lol: You're a good poaster.

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Is there anyone here with GPA 3.30-3.40/ LSAT 150-160?

Postby jas1503 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Nova wrote:
LexLeon wrote:notwithstanding that all Asians as a group may be overrepresented; yet no one here provided data to support that claim--.


Some stuff is so obvious it doesnt need to be cited. But here you go,

Out of the total U.S. population, 14.7 million people, or 4.8 percent, were Asian alone. In addition, 2.6 million people, or another 0.9 percent, reported Asian in combination with one or more other races. Together, these two groups totaled 17.3 million people. Thus, 5.6 percent of all people in the United States identified as Asian, either alone or in combination with one or more other races.
--LinkRemoved--


At the various professional and graduate schools that make up 64% of Harvard's combined enrollment of 18,597, the highest concentrations of Asian Americans are found in the Dental School (28%), Medical (24%), Design (18%) and Public Health (11%). The other graduate divisions are: Business (10%), Law (10%), Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (6%), Education (6%) and Education (6%).

http://goldsea.com/AAU/harstan.html

Caucasians comprised the largest percentage of test takers. African American test
takers and Asian/Pacific Islander test takers, respectively, were the next largest
subgroups in terms of percentages.
Average LSAT scores were highest for Caucasian and Asian/Pacific Islander test
takers. African American test takers and Puerto Rican test takers had the lowest
mean LSAT scores.
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/resea ... -12-03.pdf

Why are Asians always trying so desperatly to lump themselves in with Caucasians




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bleakchimera2, Maaza and 4 guests