How late into the cycle does UVA ED remain a viable option?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Frodo

How late into the cycle does UVA ED remain a viable option?

Postby Mr. Frodo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm looking at EDing Penn or UVA. Just took the Dec. LSAT and have a 4+ engineering GPA. I was curious to see if, generally, anyone knew which was a more likely acceptance this late in the cycle for LSAT scores in historically accepted ranges (162+ for UVA; 165+ for Penn). I'm not looking for a "what are my chances" answer, just some expertise from somehow who knows the efficiency of EDing this late in the cycle. I realize info on Penn's second ED round will be scarce, as it is new this year.

Thanks!

jym_dawg

Re: How late into the cycle does UVA ED remain a viable option?

Postby jym_dawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:55 pm

In the grand scheme of things, Dec/(early) Jan isn't all that late in the cycle, especially since you're going ED. One option you've got is Penn ED2 with a decision guaranteed by Jan. 31. If that doesn't pan out, UVa accepts Expedited Decision apps throughout the cycle.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm

That's all I was looking for. Thanks dawg!!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Jan should be ok for ED. When we start talking feb is when I start suggesting waiting a cycle but if you have numbers to ED UVA that should get you in oct/nov then I think dec/jan will have the same result.

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Thats good to hear, thanks Br3v. I am always overly wary about how much acceptance rates and chances drop off after the initial barrage of apps from the people that have their stuff together and ready to submit in September.

My apps are already done, so it will be a matter of clicking submit come the end of December when scores are finally released. Therefore, I may be able to get my apps in before the end of the year, which wouldn't hurt.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:Thats good to hear, thanks Br3v. I am always overly wary about how much acceptance rates and chances drop off after the initial barrage of apps from the people that have their stuff together and ready to submit in September.

My apps are already done, so it will be a matter of clicking submit come the end of December when scores are finally released. Therefore, I may be able to get my apps in before the end of the year, which wouldn't hurt.

I think part of the "applying late is bad" thing is because what you just said. Adcoms may think, hmmm this person was not prepared like Person A was in september. When this is mixed with the reality that sometimes a lot of the spots are taken come late cycle and thus adcoms must look for applicants with higher numbers, it could be detrimental.

But these two things imo are cancled out by two factors. 1) the "frodo was not ready like person A in september" argument I think is highly discounted because they will see you were obviously waiting on your Dec scores to come out and I would suggest submitting the day, no the hour, scores come out. Especially if you have taken a test before.

The second argument, later in the game so higher numbers, will also be slightly discounted this cycle because applicants are down.

all in all you appear to be in good shape.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”