Apply with December score?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
naillsat

Apply with December score?

Postby naillsat » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I just took the December LSAT and feel good (not very good though), I probably can score 166-169 (tiny chance for breaking 170). I want to apply to lower T14 schools, and would like to get as much scholly money as possible. At the same time, I'm also thinking about retaking the LSAT in February with the hope of getting more scholly money. I am wondering if this makes sense, will most schools still have additional scholarship money to give around the end of February? I am assuming I can improve and get a 170+ score.

collegebum1989

Re: Apply with December score?

Postby collegebum1989 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Unpredictable cycle this year, so things may be different, but...

Scores will come in late February and most schools have early March deadlines. By that point, most schools will already have their seats for admissions filled up. The only reason a school would offer scholarship package would be to provide an incentive to go to their schools to boost their numbers. However, by this point most of their seats would be filled and they know that you'd be lucky to even get admission so they will be less reluctant to offer any money.

It could help with overall admissions, but it depends on who has already been admitted, what the schools are looking for in late cycle admissions (whether its to boost numbers, class diversity, etc).

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:09 pm

hijacking this thread sorry

if i'm in the same boat as OP but want to definitely apply with my Dec score - do I apply now and email the schools to ask them to wait to look at application or do I wait til my score and have apps ready to send out same day ?

i'm sure this has been asked 100000 times but this seems like an ok place to bring it back up

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 pm

toothbrush wrote:hijacking this thread sorry

if i'm in the same boat as OP but want to definitely apply with my Dec score - do I apply now and email the schools to ask them to wait to look at application or do I wait til my score and have apps ready to send out same day ?

i'm sure this has been asked 100000 times but this seems like an ok place to bring it back up

^Same. I wrote in October with a rather disappointing 165 but I feel like I improved a lot with the Dec retake. Let me know if you come across a good thread with answers about this question.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”