Does LSAC release personal grad school info to all schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zebra6777

Does LSAC release personal grad school info to all schools?

Postby zebra6777 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 pm

I went to a shitty undergrad but got a MS from a target school, so I really would like to know this: when LSAC sends out our info to all the schools so they can email students, do they just give out gpa, lsat, undergrad name, and undergrad major? Or do they release any graduate degrees earned? What grad school you went to?

Thanks very much for any insight!

bbsg

Re: Does LSAC release personal grad school info to all schools?

Postby bbsg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:32 pm

The law schools will see what schools you went to. They won't really care, though. Nothing to stress over at all.

SPerez

Re: Does LSAC release personal grad school info to all schools?

Postby SPerez » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:55 am

zebra6777 wrote:I went to a shitty undergrad but got a MS from a target school, so I really would like to know this: when LSAC sends out our info to all the schools so they can email students, do they just give out gpa, lsat, undergrad name, and undergrad major? Or do they release any graduate degrees earned? What grad school you went to?

Thanks very much for any insight!

IF a school downloads your information, it will see your responses to every question you answered in your CRS questionnaire (or whatever it is you fill out). Like bbsg said, this isn't anything to worry about. It is inconsequential and something you can't do anything about, anyway. LSAC doesn't "send" the information out, though. Schools request it, but not by individual students. Typically, a law school will run a report by geography or by broad LSAT or GPA categories. Some schools looking to promote a particular specialty program might run a report for students who indicated they are interested in that practice area. In my experience, a huge number of prospective applicants leave most of the information blank. This actually leads to email students see as "spam" because it's not targeted. If schools had more information, they would be able to send students more relevant information. (In this climate, though, many would probably still go with the carpet bombing approach.)

This CRS option is also how schools target and send out application fee waivers. I'm always surprised by how many applicants check the box saying they do NOT want schools to contact them (presumably to avoid emails they feel are annoying). Seems like it's worth deleting a few unwanted emails in exchange for fee waivers from schools you are or might be interested it...but that's just my 2 cents. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”