Is Feb just too late?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:09 pm

So I just retook a 169 yesterday after getting a lot of feedback to do so here no TLS. Had been PTing in the 175 range and going -0/-1 on LG but froze up on my last game yesterday after realizing I'd set it up wrong and had to guess on the last 5.

Yes, sucks to suck. No point in crying over spilled milk. Just trying to formulate a plan for the future.

Would it be possible to submit my apps now and have some schools review my app when dec scores come in (USC,UCLA, Cornell) and tell others (CCN etc) to wait until Feb scores come out? That way I can take Feb without having it put a hold on all of my apps.

And a larger question as a whole...is using a feb score a death sentence? I figure I'd be better off with a 175 feb than a 169 oct/dec for the top 10 schools...

Also, waiting till next cycle is not an option due to financial reasons.

Thank you guys. Don't know what I'd do without you.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 pm

megagnarley wrote:
Also, waiting till next cycle is not an option due to financial reasons.


What does that mean. I'm 99% sure that is false, and you are just being an idiot for one reason or another.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
Also, waiting till next cycle is not an option due to financial reasons.


What does that mean. I'm 99% sure that is false, and you are just being an idiot for one reason or another.


I may be an idiot for one reason another, but saying this cycle is a must is not one of them.

I cannot afford (read: financially) to wait another year and the circumstances behind this are both private irrelevant to the conversation at hand.
Last edited by megagnarley on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby Br3v » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Feb is very late, as in -possible to change whether you get in or not- late. I'd suggest applying now, take in feb. if you don't get in to where you want to go with your 169 (applicants are down, a 169 is inching closer to be the value of a 170 maybe 3 cycles ago) then apply next cycle with your Feb/June score.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby Br3v » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Also to warn you, DS is going to rightfully reply back that taking on a quarter million dollars in debt to go to a school with lower employment stats than you could attend in a year is not the best alternative to "not being able to afford to wait a year"

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Br3v wrote:Feb is very late, as in -possible to change whether you get in or not- late. I'd suggest applying now, take in feb. if you don't get in to where you want to go with your 169 (applicants are down, a 169 is inching closer to be the value of a 170 maybe 3 cycles ago) then apply next cycle with your Feb/June score.


But if I'm taking feb does it put a hold on the review of all my apps or can I have certain schools review with the 169? For the schools that I can get into right now with my 169 (UCLA, USC) i don't want to have those be affected by my need to retake for top 10.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:20 pm

Br3v wrote:Also to warn you, DS is going to rightfully reply back that taking on a quarter million dollars in debt to go to a school with lower employment stats than you could attend in a year is not the best alternative to "not being able to afford to wait a year"


That is true but it would not be a quarter million. That's why its complicated. If I go next year my COL will all be covered. If I wait two years it will all be on my tab and I cannot afford that.

THis is slightly an oversimplification but the crux of the issue is just me trying to figure out what the best school is that I can get into THIS cycle.

The wisdom of attending any individual school at a particular price point is a separate conversation.
Last edited by megagnarley on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby Br3v » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:20 pm

megagnarley wrote:
Br3v wrote:Feb is very late, as in -possible to change whether you get in or not- late. I'd suggest applying now, take in feb. if you don't get in to where you want to go with your 169 (applicants are down, a 169 is inching closer to be the value of a 170 maybe 3 cycles ago) then apply next cycle with your Feb/June score.


But if I'm taking feb does it put a hold on the review of all my apps or can I have certain schools review with the 169? For the schools that I can get into right now with my 169 (UCLA, USC) i don't want to have those be affected by my need to retake for top 10.


I believe it is your choice whether you ask schools to wait for upcoming test scores or not. Of course once you officially get those scores they will be provided to the school, but I believe schools only wait for future test scores if you indicate that you want them to do so.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:21 pm

megagnarley wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
Also, waiting till next cycle is not an option due to financial reasons.


What does that mean. I'm 99% sure that is false, and you are just being an idiot for one reason or another.


I may be an idiot for one reason another, but saying this cycle is a must is not one of them.

I cannot afford (read: financially) to wait another year and the circumstances behind this are both private irrelevant to the conversation at hand.


Last time I checked law school costs money, it doesn't make you money. Get a fucking job.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Br3v wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
Br3v wrote:Feb is very late, as in -possible to change whether you get in or not- late. I'd suggest applying now, take in feb. if you don't get in to where you want to go with your 169 (applicants are down, a 169 is inching closer to be the value of a 170 maybe 3 cycles ago) then apply next cycle with your Feb/June score.


But if I'm taking feb does it put a hold on the review of all my apps or can I have certain schools review with the 169? For the schools that I can get into right now with my 169 (UCLA, USC) i don't want to have those be affected by my need to retake for top 10.


I believe it is your choice whether you ask schools to wait for upcoming test scores or not. Of course once you officially get those scores they will be provided to the school, but I believe schools only wait for future test scores if you indicate that you want them to do so.


Understood. Thank you kindly for your input.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby iMisto » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 pm

If you don't actually "sign up" for the test at the moment, they won't hold your app. Wait until the last minute to sign up (obv studying in the interim). However, if you seriously care that much, waiting is a really good option... even if you think it's not. :wink:

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
Also, waiting till next cycle is not an option due to financial reasons.


What does that mean. I'm 99% sure that is false, and you are just being an idiot for one reason or another.


I may be an idiot for one reason another, but saying this cycle is a must is not one of them.

I cannot afford (read: financially) to wait another year and the circumstances behind this are both private irrelevant to the conversation at hand.


Last time I checked law school costs money, it doesn't make you money. Get a fucking job.


Duly noted.

Thanks chap :D

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby twenty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:26 pm

megagnarley wrote: If I go next year my COL will all be covered. If I wait two years it will all be on my tab and I cannot afford that.


This actually makes sense. I'm just going to assume that your parents will pay COL this year, but probably not next year.

Apply now, retake in Feb for moar scholarship munnies. Go to the best T14 school you can. Pay off debt. Profit.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:38 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
megagnarley wrote: If I go next year my COL will all be covered. If I wait two years it will all be on my tab and I cannot afford that.


This actually makes sense. I'm just going to assume that your parents will pay COL this year, but probably not next year.

Apply now, retake in Feb for moar scholarship munnies. Go to the best T14 school you can. Pay off debt. Profit.


Valid.

As long as they can review my app and give me a decision with an outstanding Feb LSAT I think this is the way to go.

Gracias amigo

jlx
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby jlx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:43 pm

i'm using Feb LSAT for fall 2013 admission, and for reasons (probably similar to you), fall 2013 is make or break for me. i can't afford to wait another year.

omegaomega
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:00 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby omegaomega » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm

tag for my own interest

my own thinking for OP: probably feb score is too late for the first round decision, but could be helpful to get you off the waitlist and/or win more scholly.

the only thing that we can do is to hope not to get dinged right away and schools will dig deep into their waitlist due to shrinking of applicants this year.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby megagnarley » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 am

omegaomega wrote:tag for my own interest

my own thinking for OP: probably feb score is too late for the first round decision, but could be helpful to get you off the waitlist and/or win more scholly.

the only thing that we can do is to hope not to get dinged right away and schools will dig deep into their waitlist due to shrinking of applicants this year.


I'm thinking the same thing.

The only issue for me is that with a school like Stanford I have no shot if I get what i think I got (170 to pair with my 3.6)

Under the premise that waiting another year is not a possibility, I'm still trying to wrap my head around whether it's best to apply with a Dec 170 or a Feb 175 which I know I can get given my PT's at 175+.

I feel like it's an auto reject at the top schools.

Edit: If they're digging deep into wait lists might they not be more open to taking a Feb admit whose numbers trump those on the waitlist?

omegaomega
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:00 am

Re: Is Feb just too late?

Postby omegaomega » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 am

megagnarley wrote:I'm thinking the same thing.

The only issue for me is that with a school like Stanford I have no shot if I get what i think I got (170 to pair with my 3.6)

Under the premise that waiting another year is not a possibility, I'm still trying to wrap my head around whether it's best to apply with a Dec 170 or a Feb 175 which I know I can get given my PT's at 175+.

I feel like it's an auto reject at the top schools.

Edit: If they're digging deep into wait lists might they not be more open to taking a Feb admit whose numbers trump those on the waitlist?



170 can get you to a lot of places.
If I were you, I would send in apps asap everywhere below HYS. Will send in apps for HYS (if you're applying at all) one day before the deadline without a hold notice, hoping the adcom will not have started reviewing your file before the feb score is in. Whether they receive your 175 feb score first and accept you straight away, or WL list you with your 170 and putting you back in after receiving your 175, this is entirely up to fate.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests