is an lor from family ever appropriate?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
redline380

is an lor from family ever appropriate?

Postby redline380 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:57 am

facts-
I have an lor on file from an "uncle." technically, his father married my paternal grandmother. no blood relation whatsoever. in fact, i never met the guy until my grandmother began the process of dying, about five years ago.

the kicker-
this guy is a professor at nyu wagner, was a senior fellow at brookings, has been published plenty of times, as well as director of the Public Policy Program at the Pew Charitable Trusts. this guy has credentials.

the problem- besides the obvious family issue, i have not seen his lor so i dont know what it says. i feel it would be very non-personal as he hardly knows me. the other two lor's i have are from professors i know very well and i know they are great lor's. my other credentials are very lacking btw.

banjo

Re: is an lor from family ever appropriate?

Postby banjo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 am

Family issue aside, there is nothing in your description that suggests he is qualified to comment on your academic or professional potential in a specific way. By your own admission, he hardly knows you. Don't submit this LOR.

redline380

Postby redline380 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:32 am

banjo wrote:By your own admission, he hardly knows you. Don't submit this LOR.

this was my initial thought and i have not used it in any of my applications previously submitted because of this reason.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:12 am

redline380 wrote:
banjo wrote:By your own admission, he hardly knows you. Don't submit this LOR.

this was my initial thought and i have not used it in any of my applications previously submitted because of this reason.

Yeah, it would maybe make sense if you are applying to NYU because his name might carry weight around there. But in that case, you may as well ask him to literally phone in a call in support of your application.

annet

Postby annet » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm

redline380 wrote:facts-
I have an lor on file from an "uncle." technically, his father married my paternal grandmother. no blood relation whatsoever. in fact, i never met the guy until my grandmother began the process of dying, about five years ago.

the kicker-
this guy is a professor at nyu wagner, was a senior fellow at brookings, has been published plenty of times, as well as director of the Public Policy Program at the Pew Charitable Trusts. this guy has credentials.

the problem- besides the obvious family issue, i have not seen his lor so i dont know what it says. i feel it would be very non-personal as he hardly knows me. the other two lor's i have are from professors i know very well and i know they are great lor's. my other credentials are very lacking btw.

It would be ok to use it as a 3rd letter if you apply to NYU, otherwise I wouldn't send it anywhere.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't think the credentials of a LOR writer really work this way. If he put in a call, maybe? But he's not even at the LS.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 pm

IAFG wrote:I don't think the credentials of a LOR writer really work this way. If he put in a call, maybe? But he's not even at the LS.

Also, this. I had an LOR from a Pulitzer prize-winning professor who knew me pretty well, but it didn't do anything to overcome my mediocre numbers.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I don't think the credentials of a LOR writer really work this way. If he put in a call, maybe? But he's not even at the LS.

Also, this. I had an LOR from a Pulitzer prize-winning professor who knew me pretty well, but it didn't do anything to overcome my mediocre numbers.

Agreed. I have an LOR from a family friend who's a professor at my school as well as Harvard. He's known me since I was born and he also attended CLS (which is my goal school). But he doesn't know all that much about my academic or extracurricular achievements, so I'm pretty sure it's the worst LOR of the three I have.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”