Optimal LSAT Date?: Feb vs. June vs. Oct. vs. Dec.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ksllaw

Optimal LSAT Date?: Feb vs. June vs. Oct. vs. Dec.

Postby ksllaw » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 am

How did you decide what LSAT date to go for?

Is there an optimal one? What are the pros/cons to each date?

From what I've read, the FEB date seems the least "good" one, b/c it puts you too far behind to get into law school for that same year (if that's your goal).

But, what about JUN. vs. OCT. vs. DEC.?

Putting aside preparation concerns - let's assume your preparation will be as good as it can be for all these dates - is there any super adv. or disadv. to taking the LSAT on one of these dates vs. the others?

heythatslife

Re: Optimal LSAT Date?: Feb vs. June vs. Oct. vs. Dec.

Postby heythatslife » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:47 am

Take in February for the NEXT cycle. That way, even if you mess up the first time, you still have the chance to retake twice by October, when you should be focusing on your apps. This is what I'm doing.

If you're not a morning person and focus better later in the day, then June could potentially be the best date, ceteri paribus.

DougieFresh

Postby DougieFresh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am

What was said above.

Feb/June for the next cycle gives you time to re-prep and re-test if need be. Take as much time as you can to get the score you need.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 pm

February sucks because it isnt disclosed so you can only guess where you fucked up, if you do that is. I'd do december-june-october if I could do it over again.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:59 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:February sucks because it isnt disclosed so you can only guess where you fucked up, if you do that is. I'd do december-june-october if I could do it over again.

What do you mean it's not disclosed? As in the answers aren't given out for that test date???

Thanks.
Last edited by ksllaw on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:00 pm

heythatslife wrote:Take in February for the NEXT cycle. That way, even if you mess up the first time, you still have the chance to retake twice by October, when you should be focusing on your apps. This is what I'm doing.

If you're not a morning person and focus better later in the day, then June could potentially be the best date, ceteri paribus.

What did you mean about not being a morning person? Why would that matter for the June test???

Thanks.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:05 pm

ksllaw wrote:
heythatslife wrote:Take in February for the NEXT cycle. That way, even if you mess up the first time, you still have the chance to retake twice by October, when you should be focusing on your apps. This is what I'm doing.

What did you mean about not being a morning person? Why would that matter for the June test???

Thanks.

Only in June the test is administered during the afternoon. For the other dates, it's in the morning.

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:16 am

It depends on your schedule, but keep in mind, the earlier the better.

Though, I wouldn't do February, since you won't be able to see the score breakdown, or even your answers.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:21 am

SumStalwart wrote:It depends on your schedule, but keep in mind, the earlier the better.

Though, I wouldn't do February, since you won't be able to see the score breakdown, or even your answers.

Think if schedule allowed enough time to study, time wise the earliness of feb outweighs its unreleased status

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:29 am

ksllaw wrote:How did you decide what LSAT date to go for?

Is there an optimal one? What are the pros/cons to each date?

From what I've read, the FEB date seems the least "good" one, b/c it puts you too far behind to get into law school for that same year (if that's your goal).

But, what about JUN. vs. OCT. vs. DEC.?

Putting aside preparation concerns - let's assume your preparation will be as good as it can be for all these dates - is there any super adv. or disadv. to taking the LSAT on one of these dates vs. the others?

June is the best. You get to sleep in a bit more, and you still have October and December for retakes, if necessary.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:06 pm

ph14 wrote:
June is the best. You get to sleep in a bit more, and you still have October and December for retakes, if necessary.

This is always my advice as well. The afternoon schedule of the June test, coupled with the fallback option of October (which still allows you to submit an early application) makes it the best.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”