how important is a law school adviser?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zeta

how important is a law school adviser?

Postby Zeta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 pm

i can't get mine to answer an e-mail. i've written twice and still nothing. i'm beginning to think that even if she were to respond to me, if i send her another e-mail, the advice won't be that great as she doesn't seem to be very dedicated.

bk1

Re: how important is a law school adviser?

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Not important at all.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:06 pm

A what? A law school what? (Which is to say, not important at all. You'll probably find a prof you like/can ask for advice. No biggie.)

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Zeta wrote:i can't get mine to answer an e-mail. i've written twice and still nothing. i'm beginning to think that even if she were to respond to me, if i send her another e-mail, the advice won't be that great as she doesn't seem to be very dedicated.

Ask away. We have all of the answers to your questions.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:52 pm

The chances that your law school adviser can give you anything but misguided and horribly awful advice are slim to none. TLS has nearly everything you could possibly ever need to know.

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:53 pm

good to know. thanks.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Zeta wrote:i can't get mine to answer an e-mail. i've written twice and still nothing. i'm beginning to think that even if she were to respond to me, if i send her another e-mail, the advice won't be that great as she doesn't seem to be very dedicated.

bahahahahaha

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 am

buddytyler wrote:The chances that your law school adviser can give you anything but misguided and horribly awful advice are slim to none. TLS has nearly everything you could possibly ever need to know.

Except TLS has TLSers...and they couldn't possibly give misguided or horribly awful advice.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57 am

Law school advisers are worthless. I talked to mine once and basically stopped listening when he started telling me about some "great" T4 schools in the area. You can get a lot of good information from TLS.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:

+1

Seriously. You get to learn a LOT from these guys. It's not always pretty though, so be forewarned. And also use your own common sense and judgment before taking anything they say as written in stone, although I will reiterate the already mentioned idea that TLS is 10x better than any law school adviser.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57 pm

ph14 wrote:Law school advisers are worthless.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Zoomie wrote:
buddytyler wrote:The chances that your law school adviser can give you anything but misguided and horribly awful advice are slim to none. TLS has nearly everything you could possibly ever need to know.

Except TLS has TLSers...and they couldn't possibly give misguided or horribly awful advice.

Can you give some specific examples of horrible advice you have seen people give on this site?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Zoomie wrote:

Can you give some specific examples of horrible advice you have seen people give on this site?

She's right. There is at least one person on this site who I've seen giving out some HORRIBLE advice. From another thread:

Zoomie wrote:Don't listen to the naysayers of this forum. Someone in another thread told me something that made me think. I knew that going to law school would be taking my chances but he said "Going to law school is a gamble". There are no promises, especially when it's a T3 or T4 school. Depending on your location, job prospects can be few and far between, but that's not to say don't go. If it's something you definitely want and you aren't going into blindly, like one day woke up and said, I'm going to take the LSAT and go to law school, then do what you have to get into the best school you can. Even then, remember it's still a gamble. Evaluate your situation. If you can wait until fall and go part time then do that. If you finances can sustain you going full time, then do that. No one can tell you what is the best choice. I can say that if the school offers spring admissions, it's probably a T4 and expensive (for profit), so research from credible sources (and not from the snobs who think T14 are the only schools worth going to). Talk to attorneys you know, see where they went to school and what their advice is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”