Customize resume for different schools???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elcee1987

Customize resume for different schools???

Postby elcee1987 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 pm

I went into the career office at my school to receive help looking over my resume. For the most part he was very helpful, except at the beginning where he tried to convince me I needed to change my resume around for each school! ie. for a school with business law focus, highlight stuff that supports success in that. For a school with a poverty law focus, highlight volunteer experience. I'm applying to 23 schools and plan on Indian Law focus, nothing but that. If I don't appear like a good fit, then I don't WANT to be accepted! There's no way in ehll I'm changing my resume 23 times. Are you guys doing this?

LSATSCORES2012

Re: Customize resume for different schools???

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:18 pm

I don't think this is necessary. The only time I changed my resume to match schools is when they had specific constraints (like, "list a maximum of seven jobs," or "list the number of hours per week").

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:54 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I don't think this is necessary. The only time I changed my resume to match schools is when they had specific constraints (like, "list a maximum of seven jobs," or "list the number of hours per week").

semi related Q: can I submit my resume in PDF form through LSAC?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 pm

elcee1987 wrote:I went into the career office at my school to receive help looking over my resume. For the most part he was very helpful, except at the beginning where he tried to convince me I needed to change my resume around for each school! ie. for a school with business law focus, highlight stuff that supports success in that. For a school with a poverty law focus, highlight volunteer experience. I'm applying to 23 schools and plan on Indian Law focus, nothing but that. If I don't appear like a good fit, then I don't WANT to be accepted! There's no way in ehll I'm changing my resume 23 times. Are you guys doing this?

this is ridiculous. don't do that.

Gradvocates Editing

Postby Gradvocates Editing » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:41 pm

elcee1987 wrote:I went into the career office at my school to receive help looking over my resume. For the most part he was very helpful, except at the beginning where he tried to convince me I needed to change my resume around for each school! ie. for a school with business law focus, highlight stuff that supports success in that. For a school with a poverty law focus, highlight volunteer experience. I'm applying to 23 schools and plan on Indian Law focus, nothing but that. If I don't appear like a good fit, then I don't WANT to be accepted! There's no way in ehll I'm changing my resume 23 times. Are you guys doing this?

This is a good idea when applying for jobs, but this does not seem necessary for law school.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Do these prelaw counselors make bets with each other about who can give out the most worthless advice?

hohenheim

Postby hohenheim » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:18 am

Lear22 wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I don't think this is necessary. The only time I changed my resume to match schools is when they had specific constraints (like, "list a maximum of seven jobs," or "list the number of hours per week").

No, lsac doesn't take PDF unfortunately. If you look on the resume upload screen, it will list the acceptable formats

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:34 am

hohenheim wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

No, lsac doesn't take PDF unfortunately. If you look on the resume upload screen, it will list the acceptable formats

That's pretty annoying since I am working with Apple Pages. I'll need to see that it converts to docx and keeps my fonts and layout. I assume they take MS Word format? Haven't checked on LSAC yet.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Do these prelaw counselors make bets with each other about who can give out the most worthless advice?

right?? I was seriously restraining myself from bursting out laughing. As it was, we got the meeting off to a bad start because he lost all credibility in my eyes and he knew it. Blah. He was good for editing the actual resume, but as for changing it for 23 law schools? yeah effing right. glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous.

I feel bad for the sucker who actually listens to the advice and does this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”