Deferred at Cornell (2012 EA Applicants) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
francesfarmer

Silver

Re: Deferred at Cornell (2012 EA Applicants)

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:18 am

Paraflam wrote:What are you all including in your LOCI? Is it basically a Why Cornell? Not sure what these things typically look like.
Are we supposed to send a LOCI right now? That sounds hard. I'm mad at Cornell.

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 am

Paraflam wrote:What are you all including in your LOCI? Is it basically a Why Cornell? Not sure what these things typically look like.
Yeah, essentially. I can PM you my letter if you want to take a look.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

ks2499 wrote:
Yeah, essentially. I can PM you my letter if you want to take a look.
I'd love to take a look too if you don't mind sharing it with me!

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:05 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
I did a one paragraph short LOCI, so it wasn't that hard. But, still annoying.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:08 pm

elblufer wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
I did a one paragraph short LOCI, so it wasn't that hard. But, still annoying.
I just sent them a two line email saying I would like to be considered in the RD pool.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Checking in. 3.95/166. Sadness.

RecordPlayer89

New

Post by RecordPlayer89 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Deferred as of today, joining the waiting club. 164/3.4. I guess I'm just more hopeful/grateful that I wasn't dinged. I hope I'm not crazy to see this as a good thing...right?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:Checking in. 3.95/166. Sadness.
Srsly WTF cornell. Can we start a meme?

ashockofpink

Bronze

Post by ashockofpink » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Deferred along with the rest of you guys... 168/3.72, NY resident... lots of internship/volunteer work, founded and was voted in as secretary of a local political club, double major + minor (with honors) <--- can you tell I'm frustrated?

Was REALLY REALLY hoping for some Cornell love.

Sent them a brief e-mail today asking if there was any specific weaknesses in my application they wanted me to address and promising to send along a better LOCI in the next week (I'm ridiculously sick right now, felt a wee bit sicker at my first deferral coming from one of my favorite schools D:)

If they get back to me - which I expect they will since the admissions office was incredibly nice when I spoke to them - I'm going to double check they got my updated honors info and hopefully build some sort of rapport... I would love an admit there. 5 hours from home would be amazing.

/sob

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm

ashockofpink wrote:Deferred along with the rest of you guys... 168/3.72, NY resident... lots of internship/volunteer work, founded and was voted in as secretary of a local political club, double major + minor (with honors) <--- can you tell I'm frustrated?

Was REALLY REALLY hoping for some Cornell love.

Sent them a brief e-mail today asking if there was any specific weaknesses in my application they wanted me to address and promising to send along a better LOCI in the next week (I'm ridiculously sick right now, felt a wee bit sicker at my first deferral coming from one of my favorite schools D:)

If they get back to me - which I expect they will since the admissions office was incredibly nice when I spoke to them - I'm going to double check they got my updated honors info and hopefully build some sort of rapport... I would love an admit there. 5 hours from home would be amazing.

/sob
I'm interested to see if they reply to this. I'm currently really stuck on my LOCI. Unsure of what to say... aside from the obvious, I love Cornell, if it fits it sits, I'll sell my body etc. etc.

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

So is this pretty much a rejection? If people get boosts for sending in their apps early before the better batch of apps come in, and we got deferred while doing that, meaning that we weren't good enough to be accepted with said boost, isn't a rejection almost certain in RD? I'm a little surprised. My GPA is above their 75th and my LSAT is at (or maybe now above since they might be taking a hit due to low apps) their 25th. (And I really wanna go to Cornell!)

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Just got all my semester grades, and my LSAC GPA will be going up. Should I send Cornell an email, even though I already told them to still consider my app and they'll get a notification about my transcript change?

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:So is this pretty much a rejection? If people get boosts for sending in their apps early before the better batch of apps come in, and we got deferred while doing that, meaning that we weren't good enough to be accepted with said boost, isn't a rejection almost certain in RD? I'm a little surprised. My GPA is above their 75th and my LSAT is at (or maybe now above since they might be taking a hit due to low apps) their 25th. (And I really wanna go to Cornell!)
it seems to me like they deferred anyone that they would normally admit. This year, so far, they've mostly admitted people that will probably go to schools ranked higher than them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 pm

elblufer wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:So is this pretty much a rejection? If people get boosts for sending in their apps early before the better batch of apps come in, and we got deferred while doing that, meaning that we weren't good enough to be accepted with said boost, isn't a rejection almost certain in RD? I'm a little surprised. My GPA is above their 75th and my LSAT is at (or maybe now above since they might be taking a hit due to low apps) their 25th. (And I really wanna go to Cornell!)
it seems to me like they deferred anyone that they would normally admit. This year, so far, they've mostly admitted people that will probably go to schools ranked higher than them.
How sure are you of that? I hope every one of us gets in, but their ranges are 3.5-3.77 and 166-169. That's pretty impressive. I remember a school I applied to for undergrad deferred me and eventually rejected. So now I have a bad feeling.

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:
elblufer wrote:
How sure are you of that? I hope every one of us gets in, but their ranges are 3.5-3.77 and 166-169. That's pretty impressive. I remember a school I applied to for undergrad deferred me and eventually rejected. So now I have a bad feeling.
Applications are down 24% this year, and mostly down from the highest scoring applicants. Medians have to go down.

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:13 pm

elblufer wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:
elblufer wrote:
Applications are down 24% this year, and mostly down from the highest scoring applicants. Medians have to go down.
I hope you're right. But, it doesn't make sense that they'd defer qualified people they want to come to their school.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:34 pm

elblufer wrote:
I'm pretty sure defer is like saying, "I'll dip it in, but I don't want to cuddle." Cornell is still holding out for the 5'10 blonde in Chanel boots. We just gotta hope that Cornell gets SUPER wasted and gives in or she dies soon (ie. admits to the world they're taken/attending elsewhere).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Agreed on not knowing wtf Cornell is doing by deferring all these people around their medians. Wondering if they're going to be really aggressive with scholarship offers in the spring because if they aren't I don't see how they are going to fill a class.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:Agreed on not knowing wtf Cornell is doing by deferring all these people around their medians. Wondering if they're going to be really aggressive with scholarship offers in the spring because if they aren't I don't see how they are going to fill a class.
Agreed. My theory is this: they have an inkling that since applications are down, they're going to have to accept more 165-167s (just an estimate) in order to fill their class size, however, they don't want to do that right off the bat in case their application pool doesn't decrease as much as everyone says it is and they can fill their class with more competitive applicants. So, they're deferring the people in that range to give themselves a chance to figure out what the final applicant numbers/size look like and how low they have to go to keep their class size at 190. I think it's very unlikely they will decrease their class size to maintain numbers. If Cornell's applicant pool and yield really does go down as much as 24%, I think it's very likely that those of us with borderline numbers get some good news in the spring.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 pm

In other news, is anyone writing a long LOCI, like almost a page? I visited campus in November, so I sort of went to town on my campus visit, Cornell's programs that I like, and my recent MA work that wasn't included in my original app. Given that the deferral email just said send an email, and didn't actually say write a letter, I'm concerned that this might be too long.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 pm

ph5354a wrote:In other news, is anyone writing a long LOCI, like almost a page? I visited campus in November, so I sort of went to town on my campus visit, Cornell's programs that I like, and my recent MA work that wasn't included in my original app. Given that the deferral email just said send an email, and didn't actually say write a letter, I'm concerned that this might be too long.
In the response to my "please continue to consider me" email (which I did not try to turn into a LOCI because I'm miffed) they sent me an email saying "your comments will be added to your file" or something like that. So I think a LOCI is appropriate at this time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:In other news, is anyone writing a long LOCI, like almost a page? I visited campus in November, so I sort of went to town on my campus visit, Cornell's programs that I like, and my recent MA work that wasn't included in my original app. Given that the deferral email just said send an email, and didn't actually say write a letter, I'm concerned that this might be too long.
In the response to my "please continue to consider me" email (which I did not try to turn into a LOCI because I'm miffed) they sent me an email saying "your comments will be added to your file" or something like that. So I think a LOCI is appropriate at this time.
Oh good to know, thanks!

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I was deferred last week and just got a status update today. Anyone else?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Paraflam wrote:I was deferred last week and just got a status update today. Anyone else?
Weird me too. I was deferred yesterday and my status just updated again to 12/19.

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Paraflam wrote:I was deferred last week and just got a status update today. Anyone else?
Not here. Still 11/26

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”