(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gigemgirl12

Postby gigemgirl12 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Last edited by gigemgirl12 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twenty

Re: Spring Full time or Fall Part time?

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Any school you got into with a sub-150 and a 2.6 GPA means you don't have an especially great shot at full time legal employment coming out. That said, do whatever you have to in order to stay in the fray at your current law firm. Screw all your extra curriculars, student government, studying abroad, etc. As long as going part time isn't going to cost you more, go part time if you have to.

prssrnt17

Postby prssrnt17 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Any school you got into with a sub-150 and a 2.6 GPA means you don't have an especially great shot at full time legal employment coming out. That said, do whatever you have to in order to stay in the fray at your current law firm. Screw all your extra curriculars, student government, studying abroad, etc. As long as going part time isn't going to cost you more, go part time if you have to.

Agreed. No offense, but the economy is rough, especially for tier 3 and 4 law school grads. Keep your job as long as possible! Plus, it costs less to go part-time!

gigemgirl12

Postby gigemgirl12 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Last edited by gigemgirl12 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 pm

There is no school worth going to that offers spring admission. If you are deadset on being a lawyer then hold on to that job for dear life and go part time next fall. Or retake the LSAT and go somewhere with better opportunities full time

prssrnt17

Postby prssrnt17 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm

gigemgirl12 wrote:I'm looking for input stats aside like "part-time is better because you have more time to study but full-time is better because you finish in 3 years." Those are generic but point being, I'm not looking for advice based off of what prior numbers would indicate going forward. As far as I'm concerned the "mistakes" I made in undergrad are a wash. I'm in and have a completely different life/work ethic.

If anyone has any productive advice based off of experience with FT Spring entry/PT Fall entry please let me know!

Wow. I'm pretty sure we were trying to be as productive as possible. No one even mentioned anything about having more time to study. We were really trying to help you. The fact of the matter is that the economy is bad and there is no demand for lawyers from T3 and T4 schools, so you should go part-time in order to keep your current job and hopefully make it an attorney position once you graduate from law school.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Without knowing anything about the schools, part-time sounds better since you can continue working and earning an income.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:There is no school worth going to that offers spring admission. If you are deadset on being a lawyer then hold on to that job for dear life and go part time next fall. Or retake the LSAT and go somewhere with better opportunities full time

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm

The school in question is STCL. As far as TTTTs go it is probably one of the better ones but still not worth it. OP you really should go to UH part time or not at all.

If you're dead set on STCL then I think you should hold on to your job with all you've got. Definitely don't go full time.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 am

Don't listen to the naysayers of this forum. Someone in another thread told me something that made me think. I knew that going to law school would be taking my chances but he said "Going to law school is a gamble". There are no promises, especially when it's a T3 or T4 school. Depending on your location, job prospects can be few and far between, but that's not to say don't go. If it's something you definitely want and you aren't going into blindly, like one day woke up and said, I'm going to take the LSAT and go to law school, then do what you have to get into the best school you can. Even then, remember it's still a gamble. Evaluate your situation. If you can wait until fall and go part time then do that. If you finances can sustain you going full time, then do that. No one can tell you what is the best choice. I can say that if the school offers spring admissions, it's probably a T4 and expensive (for profit), so research from credible sources (and not from the snobs who think T14 are the only schools worth going to). Talk to attorneys you know, see where they went to school and what their advice is.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 am

Zoomie wrote:Don't listen to the naysayers of this forum. Someone in another thread told me something that made me think. I knew that going to law school would be taking my chances but he said "Going to law school is a gamble". There are no promises, especially when it's a T3 or T4 school. Depending on your location, job prospects can be few and far between, but that's not to say don't go. If it's something you definitely want and you aren't going into blindly, like one day woke up and said, I'm going to take the LSAT and go to law school, then do what you have to get into the best school you can. Even then, remember it's still a gamble. Evaluate your situation. If you can wait until fall and go part time then do that. If you finances can sustain you going full time, then do that. No one can tell you what is the best choice. I can say that if the school offers spring admissions, it's probably a T4 and expensive (for profit), so research from credible sources (and not from the snobs who think T14 are the only schools worth going to). Talk to attorneys you know, see where they went to school and what their advice is.

I'm pretty sure anyone on this forum could have told you that law school is a gamble.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Zoomie wrote:Don't listen to the naysayers of this forum. Someone in another thread told me something that made me think. I knew that going to law school would be taking my chances but he said "Going to law school is a gamble". There are no promises, especially when it's a T3 or T4 school. Depending on your location, job prospects can be few and far between, but that's not to say don't go. If it's something you definitely want and you aren't going into blindly, like one day woke up and said, I'm going to take the LSAT and go to law school, then do what you have to get into the best school you can. Even then, remember it's still a gamble. Evaluate your situation. If you can wait until fall and go part time then do that. If you finances can sustain you going full time, then do that. No one can tell you what is the best choice. I can say that if the school offers spring admissions, it's probably a T4 and expensive (for profit), so research from credible sources (and not from the snobs who think T14 are the only schools worth going to). Talk to attorneys you know, see where they went to school and what their advice is.

I'm pretty sure anyone on this forum could have told you that law school is a gamble.

Thank you for your value added input. What most people say is don't go. What I was getting at if the OP understand that there is no guarantee then they are better off.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 am

Zoomie wrote:

Thank you for your value added input. What most people say is don't go. What I was getting at if the OP understand that there is no guarantee then they are better off.

People say don't go when the gamble has a very poor chance of winning. That's the case with OP.

North

Postby North » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:39 am

Zoomie wrote:

The problem is that there is significantly less of a "guarantee" at the school OP is considering than at other schools OP could get into with a few months of work on the LSAT, and that the school OP is considering costs the same $200,000 as those other schools. That's not nay-saying or snobbery, it's an attempt to steer OP away from an investment so risky that it could ruin her life.

Here's a surprise: you are giving bad advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”