schools' mean LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:04 am

RVP11 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:Very impressive that any school has a 166 average.

However, the question does come up:

Is it because Harvard kids are smarter or just rich kids who can afford tutors?

Probably in between.....

Also interesting: Touro's average is above the 75th percentile for its law school - I believe it's the only school on the list to have this.


Smarter. No one needs a tutor/course to prep for the LSAT. In most cases it probably doesn't even make a big difference from self prep.


You're kidding yourself if you don't think a higher % of kids from Harvard take classes, get private tutors, and study with the right materials, than kids from Local State U.


I think his point was that taking a class doesn't really give you a leg up anyways. Self studying is just as effective, if not more, if you do it right. And there is almost no one thinking about school who couldn't come up with the money for the books needed if they saved a little bit.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby bouakedojo » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am

.
Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby RVP11 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:56 am

AreJay711 wrote:That makes them smarter even if you argue that they aren't more intelligent. I go to Local State U and it is full of idiots in all meanings of that word. It costs like $100 to get some prep books so it isn't like very many people are unable come up with the money.


What I'm saying is that the score difference between Ivies and State UGs has a lot to do with preparation levels. It's not just that one group is smarter than the other - they're also better-informed, more experienced at gunning for standardized tests, and on average have more resources to fall back on.

To address other people's points: I don't see how the fact that self-study can be just as effective as a class proves anything. Doing a workout plan without a personal trainer and dietician ordering you around can be just as effective as doing one with them. But, on average, one thing is better than the other.

TLS has warped you. Very few people manage to do self-study effectively. On average, people who take classes (especially the RIGHT classes - PowerScore, Blueprint, etc. - classes that better-informed people, like people at Ivies, are more likely to take) are going to score better than people who don't.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am

RVP11 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:That makes them smarter even if you argue that they aren't more intelligent. I go to Local State U and it is full of idiots in all meanings of that word. It costs like $100 to get some prep books so it isn't like very many people are unable come up with the money.


What I'm saying is that the score difference between Ivies and State UGs has a lot to do with preparation levels. It's not just that one group is smarter than the other - they're also better-informed, more experienced at gunning for standardized tests, and on average have more resources to fall back on.

To address other people's points: I don't see how the fact that self-study can be just as effective as a class proves anything. Doing a workout plan without a personal trainer and dietician ordering you around can be just as effective as doing one with them. But, on average, one thing is better than the other.

TLS has warped you. Very few people manage to do self-study effectively. On average, people who take classes (especially the RIGHT classes - PowerScore, Blueprint, etc. - classes that better-informed people, like people at Ivies, are more likely to take) are going to score better than people who don't.


Lol? Where do you get this from? I highly doubt I could have gotten anything out of a class that LR bibles+ LG bibles+ Preptests couldn't have gotten me. Or actually did NOT get me.

As for motivation I agree. That's probably the one thing that courses/tutors help with -- keeping to a study schedule. But money always comes with advantages. In the long run this is probably one of the smallest imbalances you can ask for when thinking about the advantages that rich people get over poorer ones. I would cease the QQ.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby RVP11 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:That makes them smarter even if you argue that they aren't more intelligent. I go to Local State U and it is full of idiots in all meanings of that word. It costs like $100 to get some prep books so it isn't like very many people are unable come up with the money.


What I'm saying is that the score difference between Ivies and State UGs has a lot to do with preparation levels. It's not just that one group is smarter than the other - they're also better-informed, more experienced at gunning for standardized tests, and on average have more resources to fall back on.

To address other people's points: I don't see how the fact that self-study can be just as effective as a class proves anything. Doing a workout plan without a personal trainer and dietician ordering you around can be just as effective as doing one with them. But, on average, one thing is better than the other.

TLS has warped you. Very few people manage to do self-study effectively. On average, people who take classes (especially the RIGHT classes - PowerScore, Blueprint, etc. - classes that better-informed people, like people at Ivies, are more likely to take) are going to score better than people who don't.


Lol? Where do you get this from? I highly doubt I could have gotten anything out of a class that LR bibles+ LG bibles+ Preptests couldn't have gotten me. Or actually did NOT get me.

As for motivation I agree. That's probably the one thing that courses/tutors help with -- keeping to a study schedule. But money always comes with advantages. In the long run this is probably one of the smallest imbalances you can ask for when thinking about the advantages that rich people get over poorer ones. I would cease the QQ.


My point is that you = very few people. How does your anecdote refute that?

I go to a law school where over half the students had 170+. When the LSAT comes up in conversation (which I admit, is rare), it turns out that not very many people did self-study.

What is "the QQ"?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 pm

You counter anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence? How clever.

Anyways I'm not denying that many more people actually take prep courses/tutoring. I'm saying it probably wouldn't matter.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby kwais » Wed May 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Everyone attempting to refute RVP has seriously forgotten their reasoning skills. Kids at Ivies are more likely to prep and prep well, including shelling out a bunch of money on courses (that you may or may not think help). This is a very different argument than the one you guys are making, that self-study is effective and cheaper. Like he said, your average TLSer is not your average law school applicant.

User avatar
joeljohnson
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby joeljohnson » Wed May 04, 2011 12:49 pm

kwais wrote:Everyone attempting to refute RVP has seriously forgotten their reasoning skills. Kids at Ivies are more likely to prep and prep well, including shelling out a bunch of money on courses (that you may or may not think help). This is a very different argument than the one you guys are making, that self-study is effective and cheaper. Like he said, your average TLSer is not your average law school applicant.


How does one find out his undergrad's LSAT mean? I've searched on my school's website and couldn't find anything. The only thing I found via google was a similar forum topic on another site with a supposed mean.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby RVP11 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:You counter anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence? How clever.

Anyways I'm not denying that many more people actually take prep courses/tutoring. I'm saying it probably wouldn't matter.


Your evidence: "I did self-study and I'm sure I wouldn't have done any better had I taken a class"

My evidence: "The majority of people at my T10 law school did not do self-study"

So, like I said, very few people do self-study effectively. At least my evidence actually speaks to my conclusion. Yours doesn't negate it at all.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm

kwais wrote:Everyone attempting to refute RVP has seriously forgotten their reasoning skills. Kids at Ivies are more likely to prep and prep well, including shelling out a bunch of money on courses (that you may or may not think help). This is a very different argument than the one you guys are making, that self-study is effective and cheaper. Like he said, your average TLSer is not your average law school applicant.


Not the argument I was making at all. I was saying that people who score 170+ would have probably scored that way with or without a prep course.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby RVP11 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:57 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
kwais wrote:Everyone attempting to refute RVP has seriously forgotten their reasoning skills. Kids at Ivies are more likely to prep and prep well, including shelling out a bunch of money on courses (that you may or may not think help). This is a very different argument than the one you guys are making, that self-study is effective and cheaper. Like he said, your average TLSer is not your average law school applicant.


Not the argument I was making at all. I was saying that people who score 170+ would have probably scored that way with or without a prep course.


Assuming that the time spent doing a prep course was replaced by self-studying using the right materials...something students at better UGs are more likely to do...

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed May 04, 2011 12:59 pm

RVP11 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
kwais wrote:Everyone attempting to refute RVP has seriously forgotten their reasoning skills. Kids at Ivies are more likely to prep and prep well, including shelling out a bunch of money on courses (that you may or may not think help). This is a very different argument than the one you guys are making, that self-study is effective and cheaper. Like he said, your average TLSer is not your average law school applicant.


Not the argument I was making at all. I was saying that people who score 170+ would have probably scored that way with or without a prep course.


Assuming that the time spent doing a prep course was replaced by self-studying using the right materials...something students at better UGs are more likely to do...


And something that students at worse UGs have no excuse for not doing other than laziness and or incompetence.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby RVP11 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:25 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
kwais wrote:Everyone attempting to refute RVP has seriously forgotten their reasoning skills. Kids at Ivies are more likely to prep and prep well, including shelling out a bunch of money on courses (that you may or may not think help). This is a very different argument than the one you guys are making, that self-study is effective and cheaper. Like he said, your average TLSer is not your average law school applicant.


Not the argument I was making at all. I was saying that people who score 170+ would have probably scored that way with or without a prep course.


Assuming that the time spent doing a prep course was replaced by self-studying using the right materials...something students at better UGs are more likely to do...


And something that students at worse UGs have no excuse for not doing other than laziness and or incompetence.


Fine, if that's what you think. My overall point was just that the average LSAT score difference between Harvard and Local State U is not entirely explained by one group being "smarter" than the other.

User avatar
memphisbelle
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby memphisbelle » Tue May 31, 2011 11:05 am

Anybody have Utah Valley University?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby cinephile » Tue May 31, 2011 5:14 pm

joeljohnson wrote:How does one find out his undergrad's LSAT mean? I've searched on my school's website and couldn't find anything. The only thing I found via google was a similar forum topic on another site with a supposed mean.


When you sign up for LSDAS and send in your transcript, they create an Academic Summary Report. On that report it has the mean LSAT for your undergrad (also the mean GPA/GPA distribution, iirc).

User avatar
ThomasMN
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby ThomasMN » Tue May 31, 2011 5:26 pm

You know, the mean/median GPA for certain universities applicants would be almost as interesting as the mean LSAT.

User avatar
jim
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby jim » Tue May 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Western Washington University - 154

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 pm

California University of Pennsylvania 146 mean, but the median is much, much, much worse lol

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Wisconsin-Madison's is 157 now

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby rayiner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:33 pm

The high LSAT scores of Harvard UG can be simply explained by the fact that there is a strong correlation between SAT score and LSAT score, and Harvard UG students are selected based on SAT score. Now, whatever you think goes into getting a high SAT score, whether it's tutoring or intelligence or whatever is a separate issue.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 pm

My schools LSAT's have all been insanely horrible... everyone I know who has taken it also thinks "Its a standardized test, you can't really study for it."

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby top30man » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:My schools LSAT's have all been insanely horrible... everyone I know who has taken it also thinks "Its a standardized test, you can't really study for it."

What school in Pittsburgh? I'm just curious as I also go to school in pgh CMU/Duq/Pitt and the average lsat was, well, terrible.

mooseman2216
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby mooseman2216 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:30 am

university of texas at arlington - 149

User avatar
zdamico
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby zdamico » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:47 am

How do people find this out?

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby john1990 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 am

I feel much better about my 166 now, since im coming from a state school




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aside, JoshLyman13, MSNbot Media and 3 guests