Just got 120K from UVA, but already applied ED to Columbia

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Legal_Padawan

Just got 120K from UVA, but already applied ED to Columbia

Postby Legal_Padawan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Subject says it all.
Obviously part of me just wants to withdraw the Columbia app altogether. Is there a way to switch my app over to RD? Or could I withdraw the ED app and reapply RD?
Also, how would I go about withdrawing altogether, or withdrawing and reapplying RD?
The clock is ticking, based on what I've seen here, I could hear back from Columbia any day now. Any help and advice y'all could give would be much appreciated.

banjo

Re: Just got 120K from UVA, but already applied ED to Columbia

Postby banjo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Call them (don't bother with email) right away and switch your app to RD.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:39 pm

LEt us know what happens

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Keep in mind that if you do switch out to RD, with those numbers, you are basically for sure not going to Columbia.

If you got 120k from UVA, you're smart to do that, though.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:41 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Keep in mind that if you do switch out to RD, with those numbers, you are basically for sure not going to Columbia.

I agree that he will definitely be denied from Columbia RD if he withdraws his ED app.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 pm

I personally would take UVA 120k. Withdraw from Columbia but not any other schools and then try to leverage better scholarship offers to turn that UVA into a full ride.

Also, be sure to check the stipulations, and be sure to get any/all stipulations removed that don't simply require good academic standing.

Congrats on that offer.

Legal_Padawan

Postby Legal_Padawan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am

Update:

The UVA scholarship has no stipulations other than good academic standing, and maintaining a decent standard of behavior (no arrests, honor code violations, etc.)

Once I found that out, I emailed Columbia telling them about the scholarship and asking to be switched to regular decision. They switched me over with no problems (probably just to reject me later).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 am

Legal_Padawan wrote:Update:

The UVA scholarship has no stipulations other than good academic standing, and maintaining a decent standard of behavior (no arrests, honor code violations, etc.)

Once I found that out, I emailed Columbia telling them about the scholarship and asking to be switched to regular decision. They switched me over with no problems (probably just to reject me later).

Yeah, UVA schollys have no stips other than "good standing". They're good like that.

Congrats and enjoy.

Legal_Padawan

Postby Legal_Padawan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Keep in mind that if you do switch out to RD, with those numbers, you are basically for sure not going to Columbia.

I agree that he will definitely be denied from Columbia RD if he withdraws his ED app.

Well, turns out I actually did get in. I think the decrease in applications this year is really making a difference.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Legal_Padawan wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:

Well, turns out I actually did get in. I think the decrease in applications this year is really making a difference.

Man, you know it's a weird cycle when somebody withdraws an ED from Columbia and still gets in without a problem. Good for you, though!

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:52 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Legal_Padawan wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:

Man, you know it's a weird cycle when somebody withdraws an ED from Columbia and still gets in without a problem. Good for you, though!

TBF this has happened before at Penn and at Duke. The idea that schools will auto ding you if you switch from ed to rd was mostly speculation

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”