Should I apply anywhere else?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
red8aron

Should I apply anywhere else?

Postby red8aron » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 am

Hello, I have a 166/3.7 with above average softs and recs.

I am from the Indiana and will probably end up practicing in the Midwest (Indianapolis or Chicago). But I would like to have the opportunity to break into a west coast market California or maybe Seattle (probably difficult). I'm thinking about public interest work after hopefully clerking and perhaps trying to find a job at a labor-side firm. But I really would like to do some part-time lecturing alongside that work if possible. I realize these are convoluted goals and perhaps partially unreasonable, but should I apply anywhere else to maximize scholarship opportunity or make it easier to achieve my goals.

I have applied to IUI, IUB, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UW Seattle, Chicago-Kent and Berkeley (yea, a bit of a reach).

I have fee waivers for Iowa, UC Davis, William and Mary, Loyola LA, George Washington, BC, Arizona Rogers, and several others.

Sheffield

Re: Should I apply anywhere else?

Postby Sheffield » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:50 pm

According to LSP, you are in reasonably good shape with Virginia (7), Berkley (7), Northwestern (12) and Cornell (14). The T-14 should be where you place all your efforts.

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Sheffield wrote:According to LSP, you are in reasonably good shape with Virginia (7), Berkley (7), Northwestern (12) and Cornell (14). The T-14 should be where you place all your efforts.

He has less than zero chance at UVA, an extremely low chance at NU (They accepted no one at his numbers last year), and a slightly better but still low chance at Cornell. Whatever LSP spit out, it is not indicative of his actual chances.

OP add WUSTL to your list.

red8aron

Postby red8aron » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks, I was thinking about Washington, but wasn't sure since I didn't get a waiver. But I think I will throw an app their way.
Also, do you think an app to Cornell is justified. I'm worried that even if I got it, I wouldn't go because I'd have to pay sticker. And sticker at Cornell vs $$$$ at IU or $$ at ND seems hard to justify. I know I haven't gotten offers back from IU, I'm pretty confident I'll get reasonable support.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Doubtful that you will make it into the T-6, or UPenn, but if you are okay with the east coast, UVA and Cornell are very doable. . . somewhat because applications are down this year, which is good for U. Good luck.

--ImageRemoved--

North

Postby North » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Sheffield wrote:Doubtful that you will make it into the T-6, or UPenn, but if you are okay with the east coast, UVA and Cornell are very doable. . . somewhat because applications are down this year, which is good for U. Good luck.

He is below both medians at UVA and every other T-14 except Cornell. Stop using LSP.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

North wrote:Stop using LSP.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
North wrote:Stop using LSP.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm

I think 166/3.7 is pretty competitive for the lower half of the top tier, at least, depending on what else you have to offer.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:18 pm

You are forgetting some of the most important schools for your goals and stats: USC and UCLA. I would add Georgetown to your list and UT Austin.

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:55 pm

red8aron wrote:Thanks, I was thinking about Washington, but wasn't sure since I didn't get a waiver. But I think I will throw an app their way.
Also, do you think an app to Cornell is justified. I'm worried that even if I got it, I wouldn't go because I'd have to pay sticker. And sticker at Cornell vs $$$$ at IU or $$ at ND seems hard to justify. I know I haven't gotten offers back from IU, I'm pretty confident I'll get reasonable support.

WashU has no app fee this year.

Sheffield, UVA requires you to be one of three things.

1. 170+ LSAT
2. 3.85+ GPA
3. URM

These are necessary but not sufficient conditions. If you have none of the three of them you are not getting in, there is just no way around it. Don't be fooled into thinking "O hay 166 is basically 170 and 3.7 is basically 3.85" because to UVA those might as well be 150 and 3.0. They will also be insulated for the time being from declining applications since they do the whole ED whoring thing.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Have you researched "labor-side law firms" ?

With a 166/3.7, you should apply to as many as 20-24 law schools because you're in a position to get into a few lower T-14s, as well as into most other Tier One law schools with money.
Since your future plans seem open regarding location & type of legal practice, you should add Iowa, UCLA, USC, Minnesota, WashUStL, SMU & as many other non Top-6, Tier One law schools that you can. Call or email with your numbers & ask for application fee waivers.
Your timing is right since law school applications are down this cycle.

Overall, your best financial option may be Indiana University (Bloomington).

P.S. And, of course, retaking & raising your LSAT score by a few points should significantly improve your options.

red8aron

Postby red8aron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Yea, I meant to say Union-Side. From my research union side firms are harder to break into and pay less. But I like the idea of working for one.
Also, considering that IUB will likely be my best financial choice, how worth it is applying to other schools. I agree that I could be happy with a number of other schools and appreciate the list of places to apply to. But how many is enough?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Define "enough" & I'll probably be able to answer your question. If I had your numbers & was open location-wise, I would apply to about 24 Tier One (top 50) law schools. My first contact with these law schools, however, would be a request for an application fee waiver.

red8aron

Postby red8aron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Define "enough"

The equilibrium where the additional cost of an application (21 dollars minimum) is no longer justified by additional scholarship opportunities, negotiating power, or potential to attend a better institution.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:17 pm

I have very similar numbers and goals and applied to 20 schools, ranging from rank 7-35. I got fee waivers from 13 of them.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Okay, fair enough. Clearly, the answer is 24 then.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Okay, fair enough. Clearly, the answer is 24 then.

Which 24?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”