addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Steve2207

addendum

Postby Steve2207 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:22 pm

I am done with my applications, but I need to write an addendum for my low LSAT score as a finishing touch. I really don’t even know what one is supposed to look like. Does anyone have a link to a good one that I can use as a guide? Thanks.

cynthiad

Re: addendum

Postby cynthiad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Why are you writing an addendum?

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:33 pm

cynthiad wrote:Why are you writing an addendum?

My mother died a couple of weeks before the test, and aside from the obvious emotional toll it took for me, I also was solely responsible for her funeral arrangements, and the removal of her belongings from her residents which was in a neighboring town. This, and the absences from undergrad that resulted, left me very busy during that time and I was not able to appropriately prepare. Also, I think my emotions had the better of me on exam day.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss, but the hard truth is that an addendum in this circumstance still isn't going to help you. While adcomms (the humane ones, anyway) will view your situation with personal sympathy, their expectation will still be for you to take the test again when you feel completely able and prepared. They will never overlook a low LSAT score that is not offset by a higher score.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:47 pm

Ti Malice wrote:I'm very sorry for your loss, but the hard truth is that an addendum in this circumstance still isn't going to help you. While adcomms (the humane ones, anyway) will view your situation with personal sympathy, their expectation will still be for you to take the test again when you feel completely able and prepared. They will never overlook a low LSAT score that is not offset by a higher score.

Problem is I will not be able to realistically retake at my full potential until February, which basically puts me out this cycle. So I have decided to send on some applications and attach the addendum to see what happens. Worst case scenario, I will be in the same boat I was without taking a chance. I think my circumstances are worth mentioning to ADCOMS whether it helps or not. Problem is I just don’t know how to get started or what it should look like.

BTW, I am four points away from my top pick’s 25th percentile which is bad, but I am only 1 point away from my second pick, so I am holding out hope.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 am

Thanks Worm. I could certainly come up with some reasons to give for not wanting to sit out a cycle, but I have been lurking around TLS long enough to know that almost any excuse given for not waiting another year and doing better will be considered a weak one. Honestly, it boils down to an inconvenience, but I would survive. I’m really sending the applications out just to take a shot instead of resolving to postpone my plans for a year. I figure there is a chance, plus I am also applying for EITHER part or full time at my top pick, part-time would obviously still mean 4 years instead of 3, but maybe they will give me a shot and let me get started.

Since no one has a good guide for me to use, I’m thinking just a simple paragraph or 2 will suffice, anybody have any reasons why it wouldn’t?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 am

Steve2207 wrote:BTW, I am four points away from my top pick’s 25th percentile which is bad, but I am only 1 point away from my second pick, so I am holding out hope.

Even if you get admitted, though, you're forgoing a TON of scholarship money this way. If you're cool with that being part of the equation, fine, but just be aware of it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”