Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigZuck
Posts: 10835
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby BigZuck » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:48 pm

lisjjen wrote:I am a 2L at a top 20 law school and people are eating each other for too few jobs. Don't listen to 0Ls who all tell you that you are a special snowflake. You are not, you are a part of a business formula, and these schools will tell you exactly what you want to hear until you give in and borrow $150k and spit you out the other end with no job.

DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

ETA: I am an AA male, so I'm not talking out of my ass


Wut? In the UT applicants thread you said hardwork will get you far, you only know one person with a bad outcome, people rightfully pass up T6 schools for UT, and that biglaw and high-paying midlaw jobs are plentiful. But now you say people are eating each other? Wtf?

OP, kill the LSAT and go to the best regional in a market you want to work in and have ties to.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:57 pm

BigZuck wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I am a 2L at a top 20 law school and people are eating each other for too few jobs. Don't listen to 0Ls who all tell you that you are a special snowflake. You are not, you are a part of a business formula, and these schools will tell you exactly what you want to hear until you give in and borrow $150k and spit you out the other end with no job.

DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

ETA: I am an AA male, so I'm not talking out of my ass


Wut? In the UT applicants thread you said hardwork will get you far, you only know one person with a bad outcome, people rightfully pass up T6 schools for UT, and that biglaw and high-paying midlaw jobs are plentiful. But now you say people are eating each other? Wtf?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


BigZuck wrote:OP, kill the LSAT and go to the best regional in a market you want to work in and have ties to.


Ditto.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby lisjjen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I am a 2L at a top 20 law school and people are eating each other for too few jobs. Don't listen to 0Ls who all tell you that you are a special snowflake. You are not, you are a part of a business formula, and these schools will tell you exactly what you want to hear until you give in and borrow $150k and spit you out the other end with no job.

DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

ETA: I am an AA male, so I'm not talking out of my ass


Wut? In the UT applicants thread you said hardwork will get you far, you only know one person with a bad outcome, people rightfully pass up T6 schools for UT, and that biglaw and high-paying midlaw jobs are plentiful. But now you say people are eating each other? Wtf?

OP, kill the LSAT and go to the best regional in a market you want to work in and have ties to.


Oh you got me!

By which I mean, there are a lot of people at the bottom of the curve here who have a very difficult time getting work after graduation, however it can be done. And if a student wants to work in Texas and gets a good scholarship, UT can be the right choice for that person over a T6 at sticker. If OP could get into a UT or above, there would be some risk, but I wouldn't say it is to be avoided at all costs.

Spoiler warning: with a 2.6, OP would have to kill the LSAT to get into a UT or above. Statistically speaking, the chances of that are very slim. If we were talking about a T20, everything would change, but even a Tulane or San Diego University could be a decision that OP would regret for the rest of his life.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby lisjjen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:55 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I am a 2L at a top 20 law school and people are eating each other for too few jobs. Don't listen to 0Ls who all tell you that you are a special snowflake. You are not, you are a part of a business formula, and these schools will tell you exactly what you want to hear until you give in and borrow $150k and spit you out the other end with no job.

DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

ETA: I am an AA male, so I'm not talking out of my ass



Do not do what to yourself?


Do not go to a lower ranked law school. Since 2010, law schools have already produced enough graduates to fill all of the legal positions that will open up between 2010 and 2020. It's hard enough being on that food chain going to an elite university, I don't even want to think of what it would be like trying to find a job graduating from a TTT.

Chidinma89
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby Chidinma89 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:43 pm

I just wanted to thank all of you for your replies. Both good and bad. I mean it. Every information on this forum has been really helpful.

I have been skeptical of going to law school solely because of my GPA. If not, I would have attended right after college.

But I personally think that my two years of work experience, plus internships in college would undermine my GPA. Also, I am in a Professional Business Fraternity (and had a leadership role in that fraternity). And I believe I could get great recommendation letters from my mentors, undergraduate professors, and employers.

It was a mistake to say that I wasn't looking to go to a top law school. I am! I meant to say that I will definitely have backup plans ---> UNL, Howard, and others that I will research.

I recently ordered a book that was recommended on this site, "How to Get Into A Top Law School", and I am going to read that before I prepare for the LSAT.

I also wanted to share with you part of my game plan: I know plenty of members on this site are planning to use their law degree to work in a private law firm or something traditional in that sense. I'm not. I've seen a bigger picture of what a law degree can be used for, and I want to utilize it.

Thank you again for all the information! :D :D

This forum is a life saver!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby romothesavior » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:03 am

Why do you even want to go to law school? These schools are pretty much terrible options, and unless you really want to go to law school and for the right reasons, I wouldn't bother with it even with a high GPA.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby rad lulz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:25 am

Chidinma89 wrote:I also wanted to share with you part of my game plan: I know plenty of members on this site are planning to use their law degree to work in a private law firm or something traditional in that sense. I'm not. I've seen a bigger picture of what a law degree can be used for, and I want to utilize it.

Such as...

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 am

rad lulz wrote:
Chidinma89 wrote:I also wanted to share with you part of my game plan: I know plenty of members on this site are planning to use their law degree to work in a private law firm or something traditional in that sense. I'm not. I've seen a bigger picture of what a law degree can be used for, and I want to utilize it.

Such as...

Yup. My immediate question as well. Going to law school is hard enough. Going to law school knowing you have no interest in being a lawyer... brrrr. OP, why is a law degree (specifically) important for achieving your goals? Any way to reach those goals without spending the time and money on a JD?

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby lisjjen » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 am

rad lulz wrote:
Chidinma89 wrote:I also wanted to share with you part of my game plan: I know plenty of members on this site are planning to use their law degree to work in a private law firm or something traditional in that sense. I'm not. I've seen a bigger picture of what a law degree can be used for, and I want to utilize it.

Such as...


I was curious about that too. I'm really plugged into the public route, both government and nonprofit, so if you want any specific advice, please feel free to PM me.

Chidinma89
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby Chidinma89 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 am

nygrrrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Chidinma89 wrote:I also wanted to share with you part of my game plan: I know plenty of members on this site are planning to use their law degree to work in a private law firm or something traditional in that sense. I'm not. I've seen a bigger picture of what a law degree can be used for, and I want to utilize it.

Such as...

Yup. My immediate question as well. Going to law school is hard enough. Going to law school knowing you have no interest in being a lawyer... brrrr. OP, why is a law degree (specifically) important for achieving your goals? Any way to reach those goals without spending the time and money on a JD?


I never said I had no interest in being a lawyer, I just don't have an interest in working for a private law firm. A JD can be used in any career field.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:16 am

Chidinma89 wrote:I never said I had no interest in being a lawyer, I just don't have an interest in working for a private law firm. A JD can be used in any career field.

Gotcha. I interpreted "or something traditional in that sense" as meaning practicing, in general.
That said, I'll ask it a different way: are you thinking about law school because you want to be a lawyer or because you have a long term goal that you feel will be enhanced by having a JD?
(ETA: There's no "right or wrong" answer here - I'm just curious.)

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby rad lulz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:21 am

Chidinma89 wrote:A JD can be used in any career field.

Ya like beverage service.

indo
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby indo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Chidinma89 wrote: I am not looking to go to a top Law School


Why not???

You say alumni, location and tuition costs are important to you. You are aware that the higher ranked a law school the better the alumni networking and the more grants/scholarship available to minimize tuition costs?

Don't you dare sell yourself short, especially as an African/AA applicant. A top LSAT score can help that low GPA. You'll also have solid work experience when you start applying which can be used to your advantage.

Right now your focus should be on studying hard for the LSAT and doing well on it. Aim for a 180 LSAT score. Look into investing in a prep course (Manhattan LSAT, Blueprintprep, Powerscore are considered the better courses out there) and self-studying. Check out the LSAT Prep forum on this website for more info on how best to prepare. DO NOT take the LSATs until you are scoring where you need to score. Practice makes perfect.

As for the below:

1.) University of Nebraska-Lincoln
2.) Syracuse
3.) Loyola University (New Orleans)
4.) Howard University
5.) University of San Francisco



None are worth attending, except for Howard, which, IMHO, should be a safety. I say this because of the low employment, starting salaries and bar passage rates at the above law schools. As for Nebraska, I mean...I guess. If that's where you want to live/practice.

But if you're only looking at NY, LA, DC and CA. Shoot for the following law schools which are in your reach if you have a good LSAT score:

New York
Cornell
Fordham

Louisiana
Tulane

Washington DC
Georgetown
GWU
Howard

California
UCLA
USC
UC--Hastings/Davis/Irvine


I have no idea where all the clueless people on TLS come up with this thing where EVERYONE has a "shot at lower T14."

I'm sorry but most of those are NOT happening. GPA floors exist. Forget going to school in California, even with a 170+ LSAT, auto-ding through the T20, and still most likely ding through the UCs, and definitely not enough money to make it worth it.

Also below floors at GWU,Cornell, and Fordham. Very slim chance at Georgetown/northwestern, but with no money...
<http://myLSN.info/7p0tv7>

Best schools to apply to would be the large regionals in areas you want to practice and have. Nebraska etc..
please don't go to USF, one of the worst placing schools in the country in one of the highest COL areas of the country <http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=sanfranciso>


+ 1

San Francisco is one of the most beautiful City but Coast of living is expansive.

Employment in San Francisco. you will have to compete with Graduated student from Stanford, Berkeley, UC Hasting and UC Davis.

So USF is loss loss situation.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby romothesavior » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Chidinma89 wrote:A JD can be used in any career field.

Ya like beverage service.

+1. Going to law school and not wanting to be a lawyer is generally a terrible idea, unless you have a concrete plan for how you are going to use your JD.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Chidinma89 wrote:A JD can be used in any career field.

Ya like beverage service.

+1. Going to law school and not wanting to be a lawyer is generally a terrible idea,unless you have a concrete plan for how you are going to use your JD.

Chidinma89
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby Chidinma89 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I don't know what I said that makes people think I don't want to be a lawyer. My mistake if you are confused. I just said I don't want to work for a private practice.

Thanks.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby romothesavior » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Chidinma89 wrote:I don't know what I said that makes people think I don't want to be a lawyer. My mistake if you are confused. I just said I don't want to work for a private practice.

Thanks.

I asked you before and didn't get an answer... but what do you want to do? What's your gameplan? Knowing that might help us.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:05 am

Chidinma89 wrote:I don't know what I said that makes people think I don't want to be a lawyer. My mistake if you are confused. I just said I don't want to work for a private practice.

Thanks.


What do you want to do and where do you want to work?

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

Chidinma89 wrote:I don't know what I said that makes people think I don't want to be a lawyer. My mistake if you are confused. I just said I don't want to work for a private practice.

Thanks.


You need to be very open and forthright with us if you are really taking this seriously. If you are talking about government/non-profit legal work, know that those jobs are EXTREMELY competitive, even moreso than biglaw in certain areas of the country. Don't buy into the law school marketing pitch that because you are a selfless public interest student you'll have an easier time getting jobs than those evil heartless corporate law folks.

User avatar
Zoomie
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby Zoomie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:35 pm

What is the bigger picture? Should you go to law school? Well my answer would be do you really want to be a lawyer? Have you researched all aspects such as student debt, job prospects, 3 years of having no life while studying at least 12 hours a day?

These are things you have to consider for yourself and a GPA is what you should base your decision off of. Do you have a low GPA becuase you didn't apply yourself like you could or is your GPA low because of another reason.

Law school is no joke from what I gather talking to attorneys. I wouldn't go unless you are sincerely interested in law and not because of potential salaries. The job market is very full and I think people on here try to discourage others not as a way warning of the market but because they are trying to decrease their competition. Otherwise if the prospects were that crummy, why are they going to law school.

Okay, now I'm ranting. But that's a decision you have to make and I would make it having your expectations fully managed and completely informed of what sacrifices you will need to make.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby rad lulz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Zoomie wrote:Law school is no joke from what I gather talking to attorneys. I wouldn't go unless you are sincerely interested in law and not because of potential salaries. The job market is very full and I think people on here try to discourage others not as a way warning of the market but because they are trying to decrease their competition. Otherwise if the prospects were that crummy, why are they going to law school.

Lol this is fucking retarded. I'm a 3L and am not competing with an 0L for jobs. Use your head.

User avatar
Zoomie
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby Zoomie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:06 am

rad lulz wrote:
Zoomie wrote:Law school is no joke from what I gather talking to attorneys. I wouldn't go unless you are sincerely interested in law and not because of potential salaries. The job market is very full and I think people on here try to discourage others not as a way warning of the market but because they are trying to decrease their competition. Otherwise if the prospects were that crummy, why are they going to law school.

Lol this is fucking retarded. I'm a 3L and am not competing with an 0L for jobs. Use your head.


Not now dumbass. Why are you going to law school but discouraging someone else? Make sense to me. Fuck, I hope not all law students are as big of an asshole as you are.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby lisjjen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:09 am

Zoomie wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Zoomie wrote:Law school is no joke from what I gather talking to attorneys. I wouldn't go unless you are sincerely interested in law and not because of potential salaries. The job market is very full and I think people on here try to discourage others not as a way warning of the market but because they are trying to decrease their competition. Otherwise if the prospects were that crummy, why are they going to law school.

Lol this is fucking retarded. I'm a 3L and am not competing with an 0L for jobs. Use your head.


Not now dumbass. Why are you going to law school but discouraging someone else? Make sense to me. Fuck, I hope not all law students are as big of an asshole as you are.


I have learned the secret to one of life's greatest mysteries. Why Rad Lulz? How did the Lulz become upgraded to Rad?

Now I know why the Lulz are Rad. The know-it-all 0Ls.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby rad lulz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:52 am

Zoomie wrote:Not now dumbass. Why are you going to law school but discouraging someone else? Make sense to me. Fuck, I hope not all law students are as big of an asshole as you are.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 am

Zoomie wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Zoomie wrote:Law school is no joke from what I gather talking to attorneys. I wouldn't go unless you are sincerely interested in law and not because of potential salaries. The job market is very full and I think people on here try to discourage others not as a way warning of the market but because they are trying to decrease their competition. Otherwise if the prospects were that crummy, why are they going to law school.

Lol this is fucking retarded. I'm a 3L and am not competing with an 0L for jobs. Use your head.


Not now dumbass. Why are you going to law school but discouraging someone else? Make sense to me. Fuck, I hope not all law students are as big of an asshole as you are.

1. Just because someone goes to law school doesn't mean they can't discourage other people from making the same mistake.

2. What is right for some people is not right for everyone. There may be valid reasons for one TLS poster to go to law school, or go to a particular law school, and yet those reasons may not apply to OP or to other TLS posters with different circumstances. For example, my college buddy just got into UVA Law with a full ride, and has also been considering Wash U. If I told him, "Go to UVA, don't go to Wash U," would you say, "But you go to Wash U! What a hyprocrite!" Of course not, because the situations are completely different. What we're trying to discern right now is why OP is so set on law school, why they want the degree in the first place, what they plan to use it for, etc. Circumstances matter.

3. And on a similar note... there is a world of difference between going to a lower tier school vs. going to a T15-20ish school with a massive scholarship.

TL;DR: Sorry, but your position is really ridiculous.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sushi and 3 guests