Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chidinma89

Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby Chidinma89 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Hey guys!

I am a 23 year old African American working woman who has a keen interest in going to law school.

My GPA is 2.6 is Finance :oops: :oops: :oops: . I know. I know. It's terrible.

I have been working in Production Finance for one of the top advertising agencies in the US for the past year, and I plan to work another year until I apply to law schools.

I am not looking to go to a top Law School. My choices thus far are:

1.) University of Nebraska-Lincoln
2.) Syracuse
3.) Loyola University (New Orleans)
4.) Howard University
5.) University of San Francisco

Question 1: What LSAT score do you think I need to get into these schools?
Question 2: Should I get a masters before I apply to Law school because of my low GPA?

ANY HELP would be fantastic.

Thanks!

gguuueessttt

Re: Tell me the honest truth: Low GPA. Should I go to Law School

Postby gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Chidinma89 wrote:Hey guys!

I am a 23 year old African American working woman who has a keen interest in going to law school.

My GPA is 2.6 is Finance :oops: :oops: :oops: . I know. I know. It's terrible.

I have been working in Production Finance for one of the top advertising agencies in the US for the past year, and I plan to work another year until I apply to law schools.

I am not looking to go to a top Law School. My choices thus far are:

2.) Syracuse
4.) Howard University

Question 1: What LSAT score do you think I need to get into these schools?
Question 2: Should I get a masters before I apply to Law school because of my low GPA?

ANY HELP would be fantastic.

Thanks!

If you get a 170+ LSAT score, then as an AA (URM) you can shoot for the T-20. Don't sell yourself short!

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Your choices seem pretty odd (New York, Nebraska, DC, Cali, & NOLA). Out of those choices, I'd only consider Howard & Nebraska (if you want to live & work in Nebraska & are preferably from Nebraska). Best bet on what your LSAT needs to be is to check LawSchoolNumbers.

The best thing you can do with that GPA and your work experience is to get a high LSAT and go to Northwestern.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Don't get masters. Undergrad is all that really counts. What are you basing your top target schools on?

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:48 am

Shoot for 165+ and with the URM boost you should be just fine getting into some solid T1 schools.

Chidinma89

Postby Chidinma89 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:57 am

deadpanic wrote:Your choices seem pretty odd (New York, Nebraska, DC, Cali, & NOLA). Out of those choices, I'd only consider Howard & Nebraska (if you want to live & work in Nebraska & are preferably from Nebraska). Best bet on what your LSAT needs to be is to check LawSchoolNumbers.

The best thing you can do with that GPA and your work experience is to get a high LSAT and go to Northwestern.

Thanks for the advice!

I know that location matter. These locations, except for NOLA are places where I would likely reside and practice law. I have close ties to Nebraska so I would not mind living there. :D

Thanks again!

Chidinma89

Postby Chidinma89 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:59 am

Tom Joad wrote:Don't get masters. Undergrad is all that really counts. What are you basing your top target schools on?

My top target schools are based on location, tuition, and alumni.

Thanks! :D

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:07 am

It sounds like you have a good job, and from your selection of schools know very little about the law school admissions process or the state of the legal market. Even being AA Female, your poor GPA will likely prevent you from any significant aid at a school worth attending even with a great LSAT score.

You should probably not go to law school, but if you can't be dissuaded by random internet posters, please read this ebook:

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Law-School-U ... B009D13IA6

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:41 pm

An LSAT score in the mid-150s should get you into the listed law schools since you are an AA female. An LSAT score in the low 160s may get you into a lower top-14 law school.

A master's degree GPA will not affect your undergraduate GPA used by the LSDAS & law schools for admission purposes.

Two or three years ago, it was widely reported that Nebraska had a lawyer shortage.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:An LSAT score in the mid-150s should get you into the listed law schools since you are an AA female. An LSAT score in the low 160s may get you into a lower top-14 law school.

A master's degree GPA will not affect your undergraduate GPA used by the LSDAS & law schools for admission purposes.

Two or three years ago, it was widely reported that Nebraska had a lawyer shortage.

But will OP see any money? That is the real question.

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:39 pm

For the schools that you listed, you can probably get a LSAT score in the 150's and get in. However, getting a score in the 160's will boost your chances of gaining acceptance into a T1 school-- getting even higher would even give you a shot of the T14 (much more of a reach but still possible, given your AA status).

With that being said, I would aim for as high of an LSAT as possible. If you are bent on going to your listed schools, you can gain significant scholarship money if you score well. Though, the higher ranked the law school, the more difficult that it becomes to predict how an URM will do.

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:09 pm

I'd stay away from Loyola-NO if you don't plan on living and working in New Orleans afterwards. It's a great school if you get $$$ and want to work in public service in New Orleans. Outside of that niche, it's another TTT.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:51 pm

I wonder if you could get your current employer to pay for law school. That way you could go part-time and you would presumably have some job security with your current employer in case things don't pan out.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Chidinma89 wrote: I am not looking to go to a top Law School

Why not???

You say alumni, location and tuition costs are important to you. You are aware that the higher ranked a law school the better the alumni networking and the more grants/scholarship available to minimize tuition costs?

Don't you dare sell yourself short, especially as an African/AA applicant. A top LSAT score can help that low GPA. You'll also have solid work experience when you start applying which can be used to your advantage.

Right now your focus should be on studying hard for the LSAT and doing well on it. Aim for a 180 LSAT score. Look into investing in a prep course (Manhattan LSAT, Blueprintprep, Powerscore are considered the better courses out there) and self-studying. Check out the LSAT Prep forum on this website for more info on how best to prepare. DO NOT take the LSATs until you are scoring where you need to score. Practice makes perfect.

As for the below:

2.) Syracuse
4.) Howard University

None are worth attending, except for Howard, which, IMHO, should be a safety. I say this because of the low employment, starting salaries and bar passage rates at the above law schools. As for Nebraska, I mean...I guess. If that's where you want to live/practice.

But if you're only looking at NY, LA, DC and CA. Shoot for the following law schools which are in your reach if you have a good LSAT score:

New York
Cornell
Fordham

Louisiana
Tulane

Washington DC
Georgetown
GWU
Howard

California
UCLA
USC
UC--Hastings/Davis/Irvine

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 am

BlaqBella wrote:
Chidinma89 wrote: I am not looking to go to a top Law School

Why not???

You say alumni, location and tuition costs are important to you. You are aware that the higher ranked a law school the better the alumni networking and the more grants/scholarship available to minimize tuition costs?

Don't you dare sell yourself short, especially as an African/AA applicant. A top LSAT score can help that low GPA. You'll also have solid work experience when you start applying which can be used to your advantage.

Right now your focus should be on studying hard for the LSAT and doing well on it. Aim for a 180 LSAT score. Look into investing in a prep course (Manhattan LSAT, Blueprintprep, Powerscore are considered the better courses out there) and self-studying. Check out the LSAT Prep forum on this website for more info on how best to prepare. DO NOT take the LSATs until you are scoring where you need to score. Practice makes perfect.

As for the below:

2.) Syracuse
4.) Howard University

None are worth attending, except for Howard, which, IMHO, should be a safety. I say this because of the low employment, starting salaries and bar passage rates at the above law schools. As for Nebraska, I mean...I guess. If that's where you want to live/practice.

But if you're only looking at NY, LA, DC and CA. Shoot for the following law schools which are in your reach if you have a good LSAT score:

New York
Cornell
Fordham

Louisiana
Tulane

Washington DC
Georgetown
GWU
Howard

California
UCLA
USC
UC--Hastings/Davis/Irvine

I have no idea where all the clueless people on TLS come up with this thing where EVERYONE has a "shot at lower T14."

I'm sorry but most of those are NOT happening. GPA floors exist. Forget going to school in California, even with a 170+ LSAT, auto-ding through the T20, and still most likely ding through the UCs, and definitely not enough money to make it worth it.

Also below floors at GWU,Cornell, and Fordham. Very slim chance at Georgetown/northwestern, but with no money...
<http://myLSN.info/7p0tv7>

Best schools to apply to would be the large regionals in areas you want to practice and have. Nebraska etc..
please don't go to USF, one of the worst placing schools in the country in one of the highest COL areas of the country <http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=sanfranciso>

MarkKnows87

Postby MarkKnows87 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:41 am

I would never tell someone to not pursue their dreams if it is truly what you want to do in life. With that being said I say go for it. The worst thing the school can say is no. On the other hand if you never try you will always question what if. Even though I know their are some people on this site who are genuinely concerned with people succeeding. I still always have in the back of my mind you are actually competing with these people for seats at schools. So I say take every piece of advice with a grain of salt. Only you know what is truly best for you in the end. Good luck on what ever you choose to do.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:32 am

Although it seems like eons ago, as I recall. . . after your LSAT scores are released you will receive a landslide of emails from dozens of schools, most willing to waive their application fee (if they don’t waive automatically you can request a waiver, and they usually will). At that point you can better judge your choices.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:53 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:I have no idea where all the clueless people on TLS come up with this thing where EVERYONE has a "shot at lower T14.

RC Fail. Where in this thread did anyone indicate "everyone" has a shot at lower T14?

SaintsTheMetal wrote:I'm sorry but most of those are NOT happening. GPA floors exist. Forget going to school in California, even with a 170+ LSAT, auto-ding through the T20, and still most likely ding through the UCs, and definitely not enough money to make it worth it.

:|

You really don't know how much weight applies in being an AA applicant, do you? Anyone who took the time to observe previous cycles will tell you that the admission cycle for URMs is entirely unpredictable. This especially holds true for AA applicants. Have you even evidence that indicates otherwise where an AA applicant with a 170+ and similar GPA range was an auto-ding?

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Also below floors at GWU,Cornell, and Fordham. Very slim chance at Georgetown/northwestern, but with no money...

<http://myLSN.info/7p0tv7>

Very slim chance is still a chance, however, LSN seldom captures the whole story, especially for URM applicants.

The moral of the story OP:

Take this author's advice with a grain of salt. Our - AA applicants - cycles are unpredictable. There exists no blueprints or certainties when it comes to admittance into T20 law schools. The key to acceptances into T20 law schools will be your LSATs. Your GPA does not shut you out of such possibility.

Study hard for that LSATs, create a stellar application package, and believe that anything is possible so long as you give it your all. Keep us posted! :)

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:55 pm

MarkKnows87 wrote:I would never tell someone to not pursue their dreams if it is truly what you want to do in life. With that being said I say go for it. The worst thing the school can say is no. On the other hand if you never try you will always question what if. Even though I know their are some people on this site who are genuinely concerned with people succeeding. I still always have in the back of my mind you are actually competing with these people for seats at schools. So I say take every piece of advice with a grain of salt. Only you know what is truly best for you in the end. Good luck on what ever you choose to do.

+10000

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:56 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Have you even evidence that indicates otherwise where an AA applicant with a 170+ and similar GPA range was an auto-ding?

lol... you quoted the evidence yourself. LSN is not accurate for URMs huh??

Sure, if you think you are the single most incredible applicant LSN has seen in the last few years, yea you might get in where EVERYONE else has been denied.

In case you aren't a noble laureate, you might want to have realistic targets schools.

patentlybored

Postby patentlybored » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:52 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:In case you aren't a noble laureate, you might want to have realistic targets schools.

Wow. instantly your credibility has been shattered

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:59 pm

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:05 pm

I am a 2L at a top 20 law school and people are eating each other for too few jobs. Don't listen to 0Ls who all tell you that you are a special snowflake. You are not, you are a part of a business formula, and these schools will tell you exactly what you want to hear until you give in and borrow $150k and spit you out the other end with no job.

DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

ETA: I am an AA male, so I'm not talking out of my ass

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:28 pm

lisjjen wrote:I am a 2L at a top 20 law school and people are eating each other for too few jobs. Don't listen to 0Ls who all tell you that you are a special snowflake. You are not, you are a part of a business formula, and these schools will tell you exactly what you want to hear until you give in and borrow $150k and spit you out the other end with no job.

DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

ETA: I am an AA male, so I'm not talking out of my ass

Do not do what to yourself?

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:45 pm

patentlybored wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:In case you aren't a noble laureate, you might want to have realistic targets schools.

Wow. instantly your credibility has been shattered

:roll:

regardless of a typo, I think we've both made our points to the op

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”