168 2.9 but GPA will jump to 3.1 after December, help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Spikedude

New

168 2.9 but GPA will jump to 3.1 after December, help

Post by Spikedude » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Last edited by Spikedude on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SumStalwart

Bronze

Re: 168 2.9 but GPA will jump to 3.1 after December, help

Post by SumStalwart » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:59 pm

I am pretty sure that it is considered as a part of the initial CAS term: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/cas-reques ... cripts.asp

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Spikedude wrote:I have filled but not submitted around 15-20 applications. I plan to submit them during November, and I have already arranged for my Fall grades to be forwarded to LSAC immediately upon their release in December. Once LSAC updates my Academic Summary report to reflect my new 3.1 GPA, I plan on emailing every school I have applied to notifying them of a substantial GPA improvement in my file.

Important Questions:Will LSAC forward my new academic summary to each school I applied to after receiving updated transcripts? Will I be charged a new reporting fee in addition to the one I will be paying in November?

Please share your thoughts, opinion, and any advice you may share with someone in my situation.

Sincerely,

-Spikedude
I would retake and wait until next cycle, unless you have strong connections in a secondary market and can get a large scholarhsip from a school in that area that has strong placement in that area.

Spikedude

New

Post by Spikedude » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Last edited by Spikedude on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Spikedude wrote:To SumStalwart: Thank you, I see now that they will send all law schools an updated academic report as soon as it becomes available. I will endlessly annoy LSAC to make sure this process moves forward quickly.

To hume85: Why do you suggest I retake? I am a Mexican American and will receive a URM admission boost at some schools. I consider bottom top tier to be reach schools, and will hopefully be admitted to some second tier schools.

My goal is to attend the best school I get into, finish 1L among the top 5%, and hopefully transfer up for 2L.
Never go to law school expecting to transfer. Ever.

But now that you say you are a URM, which you should of said in the first place, you are looking at some T14 acceptances with that 168.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spikedude

New

Post by Spikedude » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 pm

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:18 pm

TheThriller wrote:
Spikedude wrote:To SumStalwart: Thank you, I see now that they will send all law schools an updated academic report as soon as it becomes available. I will endlessly annoy LSAC to make sure this process moves forward quickly.

To hume85: Why do you suggest I retake? I am a Mexican American and will receive a URM admission boost at some schools. I consider bottom top tier to be reach schools, and will hopefully be admitted to some second tier schools.

My goal is to attend the best school I get into, finish 1L among the top 5%, and hopefully transfer up for 2L.
Never go to law school expecting to transfer. Ever.

But now that you say you are a URM, which you should of said in the first place, you are looking at some T14 acceptances with that 168.
+1

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Spikedude wrote:Thank for the advice TheThriller, to be quite honest I think I would only transfer out of a T14 if I do well enough to get into HYS. I would still like to apply for transfer to help in negotiating scholarships.

Sorry for not mentioning my URM status, it wasn't really pertinent to my original question regarding transcripts/academic summary reports.
The point TheThriller is making is that you can't expect good enough grades to transfer: most of your classmates will be as smart as you and work as hard as you. You won't know where you stand on the curve until you get your grades. This is what most people who have gone through law school at a T14 in the past few years have told me.

Spikedude

New

Post by Spikedude » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:00 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:56 am

Spikedude wrote:If you believe an LSAT score to be a poor non-indicator of law school performance, then my argument is a bit weaker.
From what I've gathered, this is conventional TLS wisdom.

As a 0L, I find it hard to believe but I'm a 0L so what can I do.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 am

sinfiery wrote:
Spikedude wrote:If you believe an LSAT score to be a poor non-indicator of law school performance, then my argument is a bit weaker.

It depends on the study, but the LSAT explains about 16% of the variation in 1L grades. That leaves 84% of the variaton in 1L grades to be determined by other factors. But this isn't answering OP's original query so I while stop shitting up this thread with LSAT talk.

OP: I can't answer your OP, but now that we know you're a URM I say you should apply and see what happens. But with your numbers I would retake if you can get to a 170+.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:26 pm

hume85 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

It depends on the study, but the LSAT explains about 16% of the variation in 1L grades.
F*ck the OP.

I feel like this is a sarcastic statement but for the off chance that it isn't, I'm willing to make a fool of myself.

source?

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:44 pm

sinfiery wrote:
hume85 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

It depends on the study, but the LSAT explains about 16% of the variation in 1L grades.
F*ck the OP.

I feel like this is a sarcastic statement but for the off chance that it isn't, I'm willing to make a fool of myself.

source?
Check your messages, I sent you a PM. The whole video was interesting to me, but skip to minute 15 for the source.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Just to reiterate - law school grades are not directly correlated with work and LSAT scores. There is a LOT of variance. I've even had professors explicitly state that handwriting plays a part in their grading.

In short, don't assume you're going to fall into any grade band at law school. Only go to a school from which you'd be happy graduating.

As for the grade update, I'm pretty sure LSAC informs the schools of the update, but I'd call them when they open on Monday to be sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”