** Drinking addendum** Is this ok??? HELP!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaBears0304

** Drinking addendum** Is this ok??? HELP!!!

Postby DaBears0304 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:53 pm

All,

Is this ok for an underage drinking ticket? Thank you in advance!!!

While attending a party in August of 2007 I was arrested for consumption of alcohol by a minor and interference with a police officer. I pled guilty to the consumption charge, and not guilty to the interference charge. The court ordered me to serve 24 hours of community service for the consumption charge, and the interference charge was subsequently dropped.

I take full responsibility for my actions, and this incident taught me a great lesson. This was the first and only time I have been in trouble with the law, and I do not plan to put myself in this sort of situation again.

abcde12345

Re: ** Drinking addendum** Is this ok??? HELP!!!

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Great up until the "great lesson" part. You don't provide details on what kind of lesson this taught you, so this comes across as disingenuous. You sort of say how it taught you to obey the law, but this seems to be a kind of strange lesson. Presumably the law is there to obey for some greater reason.

That being said, I don't know enough about addendums to know what you should say instead. From what I understand, the simple act of writing this is seen as sufficient for you "owning up" to your action. I don't actually know if you need to go on and talk about lessons learned. I mean, everyone underage drinks. So it's not like you did something really bad.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:17 pm

You don't plan on being arrested again for underage drinking?

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 pm

DaBears0304 wrote:In August of 2007 I was arrested for consumption of alcohol by a minor and interference with a police officer. I pled guilty to the consumption charge, leading to a court-ordered 24 hours of community service, and not guilty to the interference charge, which was subsequently dropped. I have no other convictions or charges.

Fixed it within the above quote. It may not be perfect, but it's better. The strategy here is to make them spend as little time on this addendum as possible, and make it non-memorable (I had to make up a term there). The less time they spend reading/thinking about it, the less it will stick in their heads when they are making a decision. Your obligation is to present the facts, not to harp on a past mistake. Adcomms will see that this was 5 years ago and that you have had no issues since then, and they will disregard this completely. You are far from the first law school applicant to have gotten in trouble with under-age drinking, so don't worry. Just make sure that you stick out for the right reasons (ie: PS, GPA, LSAT), not for things like this.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:
DaBears0304 wrote:In August of 2007 I was arrested for consumption of alcohol by a minor and interference with a police officer. I pled guilty to the consumption charge, leading to a court-ordered 24 hours of community service, and not guilty to the interference charge, which was subsequently dropped. I have no other convictions or charges.

Fixed it within the above quote. It may not be perfect, but it's better. The strategy here is to make them spend as little time on this addendum as possible, and make it non-memorable (I had to make up a term there). The less time they spend reading/thinking about it, the less it will stick in their heads when they are making a decision. Your obligation is to present the facts, not to harp on a past mistake. Adcomms will see that this was 5 years ago and that you have had no issues since then, and they will disregard this completely. You are far from the first law school applicant to have gotten in trouble with under-age drinking, so don't worry. Just make sure that you stick out for the right reasons (ie: PS, GPA, LSAT), not for things like this.

Obey this poster. Adcomms are, for the most part, intelligent adults who don't want to be condescended to. You don't need to pretend like this was some kind of profound turning point in your life if it wasn't. Plenty of people get caught breaking minor laws while they're growing up.

risa

Postby risa » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:50 am

Swimp wrote:Obey this poster. Adcomms are, for the most part, intelligent adults who don't want to be condescended to. You don't need to pretend like this was some kind of profound turning point in your life if it wasn't. Plenty of people get caught breaking minor laws while they're growing up.

+1

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:11 am

I have had two run ins with the law myself that I need to fess up to, (thank God I wasnt convicted), but nonetheless I know how you feel. The advice I was given is to keep it short and to the point. Fess up to whatever you did,or allegedly did, then end it. To me you've done this, but I agree with the others that you should take out the part about learning alot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”