Low score on PTs but do well on actual test? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lisa4and20

New

Low score on PTs but do well on actual test?

Post by lisa4and20 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 pm

People that already took the test-did any of you score low on your PTs but did good on the actual test?
Do you think the PTs are really an example of how you will do on the actual test?

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Re: Low score on PTs but do well on actual test?

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:06 pm

lisa4and20 wrote:People that already took the test-did any of you score low on your PTs but did good on the actual test?
Do you think the PTs are really an example of how you will do on the actual test?
Since you've finished 4 years of college I imagine you know what kind of test taker you are. I'm one of the people who does better on actual test day because the pressure helps me focus. For other people, the stress can make them do worse. A PT is really the only way you can gauge how you are doing, though, so it is the best indicator we have. I'm personally using them more to show me where I need to improve and how to fix problems than to predict my score.

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
lisa4and20 wrote:People that already took the test-did any of you score low on your PTs but did good on the actual test?
Since you've finished 4 years of college I imagine you know what kind of test taker you are. I'm one of the people who does better on actual test day because the pressure helps me focus. For other people, the stress can make them do worse. A PT is really the only way you can gauge how you are doing, though, so it is the best indicator we have. I'm personally using them more to show me where I need to improve and how to fix problems than to predict my score.

i think its naive to assume youll do substantially better on the real test than your pts.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:14 pm

If you hit your PT average, I think that leaves you doing better than most test takers.

I always considered myself a very strong test taker (Probably most poeple here do though...) and under performed on 1 LSAT and hit my average on the other.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:19 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

i think its naive to assume youll do substantially better on the real test than your pts.
It happened to me (although I only took 2 PTs before the actual test) but I was more or less saying PTs aren't a perfect indication of how you will do as people react differently to the pressure of test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

_corsair

New

Post by _corsair » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:22 pm

I made the huge mistake of not taking my test prep very seriously, and only took a few practice tests before the real thing, with a PT average of 167-168. I got a 170 on the real test. It can happen, but I feel like I was just incredibly lucky, and most people do worse than or as good as their practice tests. The slim possibility of doing better is not something to bank on.

CalAlumni

Bronze

Post by CalAlumni » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 pm

It can happen; however, what is more common is hitting just under your PT average on test day.

florida1949

Bronze

Post by florida1949 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:39 pm

sinfiery wrote:If you hit your PT average, I think that leaves you doing better than most test takers.

I always considered myself a very strong test taker (Probably most poeple here do though...) and under performed on 1 LSAT and hit my average on the other.

+1

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:07 pm

I hit my PT average in both of my actual tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:11 pm

_corsair wrote:I made the huge mistake of not taking my test prep very seriously, and only took a few practice tests before the real thing, with a PT average of 167-168. I got a 170 on the real test. It can happen, but I feel like I was just incredibly lucky, and most people do worse than or as good as their practice tests. The slim possibility of doing better is not something to bank on.
Same here. My first test I hit right in the middle of where I was PTing. The next test I didn't really do any more full-length PT's or take anything very seriously and scored 7 points higher. It can happen, but don't count on it.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:44 pm

I was lucky enough to outscore my PT high score by 2 points and my average by 4 on test day. Not that this is worth banking on though. Your mileage may vary.

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:52 pm

I took the LSAT four times, and hit 9, 4, 3, and 4 points below each of my respective PT averages. To be fair, during the first and last test I truly could not sleep a wink before the test, and the second test I took a sleeping pill the night before to force me to sleep. So if you keep your cool, you'll probably score +/-2 your PT average.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Granfalloon12

Bronze

Post by Granfalloon12 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:34 am

I tied my highest PT score on test day, felt that it absolutely reflected the best I could have done on test day -- made for a little more pleasantry on release day.

googlesearch

New

Post by googlesearch » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:28 am

Before the test I was scoring 169-171 on my PTs. Scored a 172.

kdev1203

New

Post by kdev1203 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 am

Think I broke 160 like once during PTs. Pulled a 163 on the real deal. For me it came down to getting the kind of LGs that clicked, and passages that didn't make me want to gauge my eyes out with my pencil.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:06 am

first time i took the LSAT, i was PT'ing 162-164. got a 166 on the real thing

second time i was PT'ing 172-174. ended up with the same score as the first one.

Your PT scores a very good indicator of how much of the LSAT you "know" in terms of structure, content, and to a certain extent your test taking ability. The problem is that a great many things can go wrong during the real deal - anxiety, pressure, stress, that one really difficult passage or game that puts you in panic mode, the administration of the test takes too long and the redbull / expresso shot you took an hour ago starts to wear off, etc etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Somehow I scored 3 pts above my highest PT on the actual LSAT. The actual LSAT I took in June 2012 just seemed easier for some reason than all the PTs.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:36 pm

I work MUCH better under pressure.

Therefore, I did MUCH better on the actual LSAT than I did on the practice tests.

I had not gotten to study and take the PTs as much as I had hoped leading up to the October test, but I had worked through all the Bibles and felt comfortable. Then my PTs were lackluster, but I ended up getting a decent enough score (for where I want to go). So it can happen, but you have to know if you're one of the people who just tests really well or not.

MsAvocadoPit

Bronze

Post by MsAvocadoPit » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 am

Last edited by MsAvocadoPit on Fri May 23, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:05 am

Don't expect to magically do well if you haven't been scoring well on practice tests.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:24 am

CorkBoard wrote:Don't expect to magically do well if you haven't been scoring well on practice tests.
I BELIEVE IN MAGIC

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:20 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:Don't expect to magically do well if you haven't been scoring well on practice tests.
I BELIEVE IN MAGIC
Apparently you and most of the other posters ITT are witches and wizards because scoring above your PT averages is not the norm.

karich

New

Post by karich » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 am

Last edited by karich on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:59 am

Test 1: PTing ~160, scored 162.
Test 2: PTing ~170, scored 165.

Meh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”