What are my chances for admission with these circumstances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cherylann

What are my chances for admission with these circumstances

Postby cherylann » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:20 pm

My undergraduate gpa is 3.3 and I scored a 170 on the LSAT. I know some would agree that those statistics are somewhat prospective, but here is where the dilemma arises:

I am in my 20s, however I have been battling cancer for several years, which I have finally beaten. There have been quite a few semesters in the course of my undergraduate career where I had to take straight Withdrawals for medical reasons. They are non-punitive W's and didnt effect my gpa. Let me also, add after that difficult time, I have at least 4 solid semesters after that of 4.0 gpa's.

I expect that with quite a number of withdrawals that I am going to be drastically at a significant disadvantage in the applications process. Because wouldnt even someone with a 2.5 gpa and 170 LSAT be looked at more favorably since they might have zero Withdrawals?

Is there anyone out there that has been in my boat, where they have a respectable gpa (3.3), great LSAT score (170), upward trend in grades (4 semesters of 4.0) but have many withdrawals?

What would be my chances at a Tier 1 or Tier 2 school given this entire academic record?

sinfiery

Re: What are my chances for admission with these circumstances

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:22 pm

cherylann wrote:I expect that with quite a number of withdrawals that I am going to be drastically at a significant disadvantage in the applications process.

Nope, they don't care.

I am curious if a GPA addendum for your situation might actually help your application.

Goodluck.

gspiel1232

Postby gspiel1232 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Nope...law schools care about the gpa listed...

You are going to get some great schools!

You'll hit some t14s...uva, gulc, um, Cornell all look good

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:28 pm

cherylann wrote:My undergraduate gpa is 3.3 and I scored a 170 on the LSAT. I know some would agree that those statistics are somewhat prospective, but here is where the dilemma arises:

I am in my 20s, however I have been battling cancer for several years, which I have finally beaten. There have been quite a few semesters in the course of my undergraduate career where I had to take straight Withdrawals for medical reasons. They are non-punitive W's and didnt effect my gpa. Let me also, add after that difficult time, I have at least 4 solid semesters after that of 4.0 gpa's.

I expect that with quite a number of withdrawals that I am going to be drastically at a significant disadvantage in the applications process. Because wouldnt even someone with a 2.5 gpa and 170 LSAT be looked at more favorably since they might have zero Withdrawals?

Is there anyone out there that has been in my boat, where they have a respectable gpa (3.3), great LSAT score (170), upward trend in grades (4 semesters of 4.0) but have many withdrawals?

What would be my chances at a Tier 1 or Tier 2 school given this entire academic record?

I had a similar situation. What I did was write a GPA addendum and I attached a paper from my cancer center/ neuro-oncologist basically proving that everything I said was true. My school would give me an "MW" which means medical withdrawal. They are pretty much the same as a regular W, though. The schools I applied to were pretty forgiving of my situation and I'm sure they will be of yours!! In the addendum, I made sure to highlight the difference in GPA from when I was battling vs. after I entered remission. You have a fantastic LSAT score and a 3.3 really isn't that bad. I'm sure you'll have a great cycle!!

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:02 pm

I think you have a good chance of getting into one or more top 6 schools.

Definitely write a GPA addendum.

Also, be wary of people who sound like they might know what they're talking about when they say things like, "No, schools only care about LSAC GPA because otherwise their rankings would go down."

(The best) schools want intelligent, interesting, and promising people to be their students. High numbers just happen to correlate well with these attributes. If a good case can be made in an application that one is intelligent, interesting, and promising, numbers normally held to be sub-par are likely to be overlooked (or so say several admissions officials at top schools with whom I've spoken.)

Congratulations on your victory.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:12 pm

gspiel1232 wrote:Nope...law schools care about the gpa listed...

So, don't listen to people who tell you this. You should definitely write a GPA addendum, because adcoms will actually give a damn about the fact that you were fighting and subsequently beat cancer in undergrad. the GPA addendums they DON'T care about are the ones about "personal issues," or "relationship problems" or other mundane non-issues.

Write your addendum. it will actually matter.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Addendum? Man, I think this should be your PS!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Law schools do really care primarily about their LSAT & GPA numbers because it affects their USNews ranking & that ranking, in significant part, affects their job security, but law schools also make exceptions--very few, but your case is strong enough to warrant an exception.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:16 am

Unoriginalist wrote:Addendum? Man, I think this should be your PS!

+1

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Congrats on beating cancer, OP!!

Honestly, with your story you should shoot for Harvard, Yale, Stanford. At least one is bound to accept you. So excited for you, OP!

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 am

LexLeon wrote:I think you have a good chance of getting into one or more top 6 schools.

Definitely write a GPA addendum.

Also, be wary of people who sound like they might know what they're talking about when they say things like, "No, schools only care about LSAC GPA because otherwise their rankings would go down."

(The best) schools want intelligent, interesting, and promising people to be their students. High numbers just happen to correlate well with these attributes. If a good case can be made in an application that one is intelligent, interesting, and promising, numbers normally held to be sub-par are likely to be overlooked (or so say several admissions officials at top schools with whom I've spoken.)

Congratulations on your victory.

The people who said schools only cared about LSAC GPA were arguing that OP's withdrawals wouldn't negatively affect their chances, because the withdrawals are not reflected in LSAC GPA, which is still high, not that an addendum couldn't positively affect OP's chances and give OP a boost above what 3.3/170 would normally.

[quote-"CanadianWolf"] Law schools do really care primarily about their LSAT & GPA numbers because it affects their USNews ranking & that ranking, in significant part, affects their job security, but law schools also make exceptions--very few, but your case is strong enough to warrant an exception. [/quote]

The OP was asking whether withdrawals would harm their chances despite a high GPA. I don't think you meant to imply that law schools would make an exception to ding OP because of hir withdrawals, when someone with the same numbers would otherwise be admitted.

Last bumped by cherylann on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 am.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”