status checker says im in but no email/call

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bdm261

status checker says im in but no email/call

Postby bdm261 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am

is this typical? i checked the status checker today for a school and i was accepted in yesterday. should i expect a followup very soon?

also this school states i need to pay a $400 seat deposit within 2 weeks after acceptance? seems odd, this isnt my first choice school either

vanwinkle

Re: status checker says im in but no email/call

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:12 pm

I'd expect a followup by E-mail or snail mail in the next couple of days.

However, requiring a deposit within two weeks is highly unusual. What school is this? Is it TTT/T4?

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah it's a tier-3, but one of those "solid regional T-3s." It's part of a larger state university too, not a for-profit or anything like that.

The other school I was accepted to gives me until April to pay deposits, 2 weeks after acceptance seems kinda odd.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 pm

bdm261 wrote:Yeah it's a tier-3, but one of those "solid regional T-3s." It's part of a larger state university too, not a for-profit or anything like that.

The other school I was accepted to gives me until April to pay deposits, 2 weeks after acceptance seems kinda odd.

Most of them are in April, as far as I can remember. This school must want to lock in as many people early on as possible. At least it's only $400? :P

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 pm

That's in violation of ABA rules

Except under binding early decision plans, or for academic terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school should require an enrollment commitment of any kind, to an offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1. Admitted applicants who have submitted a timely financial aid application should not be required to commit to enroll by having to make a nonrefundable financial commitment until notified of financial aid awards that are within the control of the law school

edit: that's LSAC, not ABA (although the ABA quotes this in some of their materials)

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:50 pm

dingbat wrote:That's in violation of ABA rules

Except under binding early decision plans, or for academic terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school should require an enrollment commitment of any kind, to an offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1. Admitted applicants who have submitted a timely financial aid application should not be required to commit to enroll by having to make a nonrefundable financial commitment until notified of financial aid awards that are within the control of the law school

edit: that's LSAC, not ABA (although the ABA quotes this in some of their materials)

Congratulations on your admission to The University of XXXXXX College of Law! Please note that your seat deposit in the amount of $400.00 is due approximately two weeks after the date of your acceptance. This deposit is non-refundable, but will be credited toward your first semester tuition & fees. Please visit apply.XXXXXX.edu to submit your deposit.

Am I reading this right? They want $400 in 13 days?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

bdm261 wrote:

Congratulations on your admission to The University of XXXXXX College of Law! Please note that your seat deposit in the amount of $400.00 is due approximately two weeks after the date of your acceptance. This deposit is non-refundable, but will be credited toward your first semester tuition & fees. Please visit apply.XXXXXX.edu to submit your deposit.

I think they're just screwing up by using the "approximately 2 weeks after acceptance" phrase. Apparently it's not worded to apply to earlier admits like you, becuase this is what XXXXXX's admissions site says:

Seat Deposit Policy

Once you have been admitted to our program, we require payment of a $150.00 seat deposit by April 1 to hold your seat in the class. This deposit is non-refundable, but will be credited to your first semester tuition and fees.

In addition, a $250.00 commitment deposit, also non-refundable but credited toward your first semester tuition and fees, is due on June 15.
So, call to make sure, but I think whoever wrote that email is just an idiot.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:53 pm

bdm261 wrote:

Did you apply early admissions? In that case it's legit. Otherwise, congrats on hearing back so soon.

Ask them if you can get an extention to that deadline.

edit: scooped

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Since OP outed his local school accidentally (watch those *.edu references) I redacted the ID in the posts.

OP, that doesn't sound right at all. Also, if this is the same school which you mentioned only gives scholarships with a top-15% stipulation, then they really are starting to sound like they take advantage of new prospective students, regardless of their reputation in the local legal community.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Yeah gotta watch those, thanks for removing it. Not that I wish to hide this from the prospective school but I'm just overly cautious when it comes to admission.

It's not the same school in the previous thread from yesterday. That one gives me til 4/1.

I did apply on October 1, I don't recall selecting an early decision option though.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Easy solution. Don't go to a TTT.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Ok so I've still heard nothing from the school that admitted me, but they did update their status checker with the correct seat deposit dates.

I also saw I'm in at another school today via status checker.

I was under the impression that the schools contact you through phone, e-mail, and the status checker after you're admitted, as well as sending you admission materials through snail mail?

I just want the scholarship offers so I can negotiate with the school I'll probably end up attending.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Easy solution. Don't go to a TTT.

This.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Most schools notify by email. Some use snail mail (and some use snail mail only for rejections). A FEW use phone calls. They use the status checkers to varying degrees (some schools never update the checker past 'application complete,' for example.)

If you're not getting emails, check your spam folder settings or something. Maybe they're getting trashed.

Be aware that some schools don't offer scholarship money until the spring.

Also, don't go to a TTT.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Most schools notify by email. Some use snail mail (and some use snail mail only for rejections). A FEW use phone calls. They use the status checkers to varying degrees (some schools never update the checker past 'application complete,' for example.)

If you're not getting emails, check your spam folder settings or something. Maybe they're getting trashed.

Also, don't go to a TTT.

I checked my spam folder....nothing. Should I call these schools and ask when I'll be getting anything?

The first school that admitted me (which happens to be my UG, is that why?) gave me the call, e-mail, and status checker all within a few hrs. I got a admission packet by mail about 2 weeks later that looked like it was put together by hand specifically for me.

I wouldn't travel out of state to attend an T-3, but for working in my region it's acceptable. No one comes from HYS or T-14 schools to work in this region... it's not a desirable area to live with grey skies 300 days out of the year, plus nearly every lawyer in this area attended a T-3 save for the few who came from the big state school in the capital city.

I understand the attitude towards T-3 and T-4 schools here...but a lot of the schools that U.S. News classifies as T-3 really don't deserve it. Sure, they can't compete at the national level, but for students who want to learn and practice in their region, is it really a bad investment?

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm

bdm261 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Most schools notify by email. Some use snail mail (and some use snail mail only for rejections). A FEW use phone calls. They use the status checkers to varying degrees (some schools never update the checker past 'application complete,' for example.)

Also, don't go to a TTT.

I checked my spam folder....nothing. Should I call these schools and ask when I'll be getting anything?

The first school that admitted me (which happens to be my UG, is that why?) gave me the call, e-mail, and status checker all within a few hrs. I got a admission packet by mail about 2 weeks later that looked like it was put together by hand specifically for me.

I wouldn't travel out of state to attend an T-3, but for working in my region it's acceptable. No one comes from HYS or T-14 schools to work in this region... it's not a desirable area to live with grey skies 300 days out of the year, plus nearly every lawyer in this area attended a T-3 save for the few who came from the big state school in the capital city.

I understand the attitude towards T-3 and T-4 schools here...but a lot of the schools that U.S. News classifies as T-3 really don't deserve it. Sure, they can't compete at the national level, but for students who want to learn and practice in their region, is it really a bad investment?

I agree with you. If I wanted to stay in South Dakota and work in Watertown small law firm, you bet your ass I'd go to USD Law.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”