From whom would a letter of recommendation look better?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
klipsch3212

From whom would a letter of recommendation look better?

Postby klipsch3212 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:34 am

Hi guys,

I know that admissions is a number based game and LORs don't really count for much, however, I'm having some trouble figuring out who my last letter should be from.

One of them is a Professor i've taken 3 classes with over the last 3 or 4 years - thus he's known me much longer. He loves me (and I think he's great too) and he asks my opinions on lectures and what other things he might incorporate in class - actually implementing an activity I suggested on creating a mock "international negotiation" scenario to further reinforce some concepts we learned about cross-cultural arbitration. He teaches International Management - I should add that his class is exceedingly easy.. and he curves too generously. I think nearly half the class gets A's -_-

The other has a PHD from Boston College and a JD from U of Michigan Law.. and worked as a lawyer for 10 years or so before he went into teaching. I hate to say it but hes much smarter than the aforementioned Professor.. one of the smartest men i've ever met. He is willing to write me a good LOR; however, this semester was the first class i've taken with him (I will be doing an invite-only independent study on system dynamics with him next semester.. and FYI he teaches System Dynamics/Causal loop models.. that thing developed at MIT in the 60's). His class is notoriously difficult, and I really worked my ass off to earn a 105% (class avg is a 72%). We high-five each other when we walk past if that gives you an indication of cordiality.

Which would look more impressive? Would professors write their credentials on LOR? Would the first recommend-er knowing me a lot longer be a factor?

I have two other letters already submitted.. would LSAC allow me to choose which three out of four i'd submit to schools?

I should add that I'm not trying to brag or claim exceptional intelligence - I just go to a rather lousy undergrad where any student with half a brain or interest is applauded

Thanks guys!

Lawquacious

Re: From whom would a letter of recommendation look better?

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:45 am

klipsch3212 wrote:Hi guys,

I know that admissions is a number based game and LORs don't really count for much, however, I'm having some trouble figuring out who my last letter should be from.

One of them is a Professor i've taken 3 classes with over the last 3 or 4 years - thus he's known me much longer. He loves me (and I think he's great too) and he asks my opinions on lectures and what other things he might incorporate in class - actually implementing an activity I suggested on creating a mock "international negotiation" scenario to further reinforce some concepts we learned about cross-cultural arbitration. He teaches International Management - I should add that his class is exceedingly easy.. and he curves too generously. I think nearly half the class gets A's -_-

The other has a PHD from Boston College and a JD from U of Michigan Law.. and worked as a lawyer for 10 years or so before he went into teaching. I hate to say it but hes much smarter than the aforementioned Professor.. one of the smartest men i've ever met. He is willing to write me a good LOR; however, this semester was the first class i've taken with him (I will be doing an invite-only independent study on system dynamics with him next semester.. and FYI he teaches System Dynamics/Causal loop models.. that thing developed at MIT in the 60's). His class is notoriously difficult, and I really worked my ass off to earn a 105% (class avg is a 72%). We high-five each other when we walk past if that gives you an indication of cordiality.

Which would look more impressive? Would professors write their credentials on LOR? Would the first recommend-er knowing me a lot longer be a factor?

I have two other letters already submitted.. would LSAC allow me to choose which three out of four i'd submit to schools?

I should add that I'm not trying to brag or claim exceptional intelligence - I just go to a rather lousy undergrad where any student with half a brain or interest is applauded

Thanks guys!

Most schools you can submit four letters for, so should be non-issue. If not (if only 3 slots for this school on LSAC) I think it is a toss-up if you feel both letters will be strong, but I would probably go with the professor you are closer to.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 am

klipsch3212 wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks guys!

Yes, you can choose which letters get submitted. As for which of those you should choose, no one cares.

risa

Postby risa » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:33 pm

These both sound like pretty good letters of recommendation writers. Who were your first two from? Are you sure you want to weight those two over what you could get from these two?

And yes, you can pick and choose which letters you send to each school.

klipsch3212

Postby klipsch3212 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 am

Sorry for the late reply but thanks a lot guys

I rushed a letter to one person whom I don't think will give me a stellar letter. I'll omit that one and send the three

Thanks for telling me that i can choose which letters to send

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”