Personal statement - narrative style, how creative? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrNiceGuy35

New

Personal statement - narrative style, how creative?

Post by MrNiceGuy35 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm working on my personal statement and have so far started out with a narrative piece written in a very creative style, reading much like a novel. I've incorporated the use of a variety of literary techniques to make the narrative likeable, readable, and hopefully memorable. When I say "creative" I don't mean I've gotten way off topic or anything, and I also don't mean I've hyperbolized the truth, but am just trying to make my personal statement less "text-book." Is this a good approach or should I be a little more cut-n-dry?

ETA: Maybe this should be a separate post, but I have currently included a portion of my life in the personal statement that will also be presented in the addendum to explain why I dropped out of my first undergraduate college after 1.5 semesters. Will this repeat be viewed as overkill? Should I remove that part? (IMO, it is an essential part of my narrative that allows insight into my personal motivation to succeed and overcome obstacles.)

icecold3000

Bronze

Re: Personal statement - narrative style, how creative?

Post by icecold3000 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:35 am

It really depends on how well it is written. A two page piece which "reads like a novel" sounds like shenanigans to me. Maybe you should post it in the personal statement forum for feed back.

As for your second question, that also really just depends on how it is written. The conventional advise is to focus on the good in your personal statement, and leave addendum topics in the addendum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”