Admissions with Feb LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlueJeanBaby

Admissions with Feb LSAT?

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I have two questions.

First, I am curious about February LSAT admissions. A lot of the schools I would like to consider if my retake is high enough have a deadline in February. Is it possible/acceptable to apply to a school before the deadline and hope they don't get to your file in time to reject you before your new score comes out? Or will they accept your application before the deadline then hold it afterward for your new score? How does this work?

Second, what is a reasonable goal for a retake? I got my lower 160s score by taking approximately three practice tests total and doing no other prep. I am taking off work and devoting everything I have to my February retake. I purchased all of the Manhattans and am working through the LGB. I'll take between 20 and 25 PTs. Is it reasonable to hope for a 3+ point gain? I ask because I really, really like to prepare myself and I'd like to start researching some schools that may be targets for my new range so I could be prepared to apply the moment scores are released. This might be a dumb question, but I'd appreciate insight.

sabanist

Re: Admissions with Feb LSAT?

Postby sabanist » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Getting low 160s basically cold shows a lot of room for potential growth IMO. My cold was a 159 and I ended up with a 170 in June and 177 in October. Forget setting your sights low - go check out NoodleyOne's retaker guide in the LSAT Prep forum and follow that, and you could end up 175+.

If your February score ends up at or below median at the schools you're interested in, a February application could mean rejection when you might have been accepted or at least WLed if you had applied earlier. I'd seriously consider preparing to apply in the 2013-14 cycle for the best results. Additionally, this gives you room for a June third take if need be.

I don't know much about the admissions process when it comes to late retakes, so I'm sorry I can't be much help there.

BlueJeanBaby

Re: Admissions with Feb LSAT?

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:21 pm

sabanist wrote:Getting low 160s basically cold shows a lot of room for potential growth IMO. My cold was a 159 and I ended up with a 170 in June and 177 in October. Forget setting your sights low - go check out NoodleyOne's retaker guide in the LSAT Prep forum and follow that, and you could end up 175+.

If your February score ends up at or below median at the schools you're interested in, a February application could mean rejection when you might have been accepted or at least WLed if you had applied earlier. I'd seriously consider preparing to apply in the 2013-14 cycle for the best results. Additionally, this gives you room for a June third take if need be.

I don't know much about the admissions process when it comes to late retakes, so I'm sorry I can't be much help there.

That is okay, thank you for the info. I don't want to wait another year and I've already submitted my applications. My target schools right now I'm just at or near median for, so I am mostly retaking for possible waitlist movement or scholarship $. I was just curious as to how it would work if I did perform better than I expect and am able to throw a few applications towards schools I wouldn't otherwise apply to. Thanks again!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”