.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

.

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am

Edit
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trout et al
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby Trout et al » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 am

chickpea wrote:So I applied ED to a law school but am now regretting my decision... Can I still reach out to this law school and ask to withdraw my ED contract so that I will be considered just an RD applicant? Will this really hurt my chances of getting into the school RD? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Depends on the school and your numbers.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:26 am

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:28 am

Generally speaking, yes, this will really hurt your chances. There may be some exceptions for truly stellar applicants, but if that's the case you probably didn't apply ED in the first place. Withdrawing an ED contract says to the school "I thought I was really interested in your school, but now I'm thinking I would actually go somewhere else instead."

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 am

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trout et al
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby Trout et al » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:37 am

I would say that it wouldn't hurt your chances for RD much beyond the anticipated ED bump you would have gotten. No one can be sure that they won't ding you just because of this, but with decreasing applications, I doubt they would have the luxury of turning down your numbers if you get a few more points on your retake.

Your numbers are too good to pass on a traditional RD cycle, especially if you get a few more points on your December retake.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:41 am

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 am

It may hurt, but 170/3.9 will get better offers than NYU sticker, anyway. Also, I doubt it will hurt.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trout et al
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby Trout et al » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

.
Last edited by Trout et al on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tyler.durden
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby tyler.durden » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

*
Last edited by tyler.durden on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby M458 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 am

If you are going to withdraw, why not wait until December 3rd after you've taken the test? If you completely bomb it or a section or two go way worse than expected (you literally run out of time and guess on a bunch of questions) and are 100% confident you're not hitting 170, then you stick it through with ED. Just something to think about.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16 am

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:19 am

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trout et al
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby Trout et al » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:22 am

Best of luck on your retake!

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am

I would imagine this will cause you to get dinged at NYU. Not only does it show them that they are not really your first choice, it also makes you look flighty and incapable of thinking things through when making big decision. Poor judgement if you will. Hopefully you rock the LSAT and have better options anyway (and really, NYU at sticker sounds way too scary in my opinion). Good luck on the retake!

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks! Best of luck with your own applications!

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby risa » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

If you do decide to withdraw your ED I would use financial considerations as your reason. Maybe say something like "while NYU remains my top choice, financial considerations have led me to reconsider my ability to commit to a school before reviewing financial aid offers" ... or something like that.

User avatar
maggielizer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby maggielizer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 pm

As someone with identical stats who also ED'd, I encourage you to withdraw for purely selfish reasons. :wink:

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 pm

.
Last edited by chickpea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Withdrawing ED contract before receiving admission decision

Postby chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 am

.

User avatar
b123
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: .

Postby b123 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

People really need to stop being so paranoid about the back-editing.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Majestic-12 [Bot], nathjf and 8 guests