Under Review?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
djwjddl

Under Review?

Postby djwjddl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 am

Why do some people who've applied later than others go under review more quickly? Is there some truth to the claim that schools will generally review those with lower numbers first to get their applications out of the way (assuming the group of applicants theyre looking at applied generally around the same time)?

dingbat

Re: Under Review?

Postby dingbat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 am

djwjddl wrote:Why do some people who've applied later than others go under review more quickly? Is there some truth to the claim that schools will generally review those with lower numbers first to get their applications out of the way (assuming the group of applicants theyre looking at applied generally around the same time)?

An Adcom has stated that the opposite is true: they review the high scores first to try and nav the good candidates and firm up their medians as quickly as possible.

This also held true through my cycle: schools where I was above the 75% responded right away. Schools where I was around thè 25% mark kept me hanging until thè end

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am

dingbat wrote:
djwjddl wrote:Why do some people who've applied later than others go under review more quickly? Is there some truth to the claim that schools will generally review those with lower numbers first to get their applications out of the way (assuming the group of applicants theyre looking at applied generally around the same time)?

An Adcom has stated that the opposite is true: they review the high scores first to try and nav the good candidates and firm up their medians as quickly as possible.

This also held true through my cycle: schools where I was above the 75% responded right away. Schools where I was around thè 25% mark kept me hanging until thè end

Is there a typical treatment for applicants at the median? Or does it depend on school / dynamics of the cycle?

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:20 am

dingbat wrote:

I don't thinks is necessarily true. Below medians at Columbia and I went "complete" there first.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

djwjddl wrote:
dingbat wrote:

I don't thinks is necessarily true. Below medians at Columbia and I went "complete" there first.

Complete ≠ Under Review.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:15 am

djwjddl wrote:
Complete ≠ Under Review.

for places like columbia and umichigan they do

The data overwhelmingly show that both of those schools almost exclusively render acceptances until January/February. That supports the idea that they're trying to catch the good students first and build a more complete picture of their medians before looking at borderline/below-median candidates.

Timelines for 2010-2012 cycles

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 am

thanks!

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:49 am

If schools look to firm up medians before looking at borderline candidates, then is it even helpful for borderline applicants to apply early? It sounds like they'd be waiting to review borderline candidates until later in the cycle anyway.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:17 am

IgosduIkana wrote:If schools look to firm up medians before looking at borderline candidates, then is it even helpful for borderline applicants to apply early? It sounds like they'd be waiting to review borderline candidates until later in the cycle anyway.

They prbly employ a first come first serve basis for those borderline candidates.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
IgosduIkana wrote:If schools look to firm up medians before looking at borderline candidates, then is it even helpful for borderline applicants to apply early? It sounds like they'd be waiting to review borderline candidates until later in the cycle anyway.

They prbly employ a first come first serve basis for those borderline candidates.

sooo they don't actually look to firm up their medians before looking at borderline candidates? Because they're still giving spots for borderline candidates first come first serve...

I know you didn't state they did, but others did. I also know this is a lot speculating but I remain curious.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 am

IgosduIkana wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

sooo they don't actually look to firm up their medians before looking at borderline candidates? Because they're still giving spots for borderline candidates first come first serve...

I know you didn't state they did, but others did. I also know this is a lot speculating but I remain curious.

Very good numbers first = easy decisions/see where medians could be. Then borderline people whose softs have a larger impact (ie harder decisions) come after on a first-come, first-serve basis.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:24 pm

aaah well if that's accurate, then I understand. Applying early with borderline numbers makes sense again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”