Should I put new job position on my resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shinobi99

Should I put new job position on my resume?

Postby shinobi99 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 pm

I quit my previous job couple months ago to study for the LSAT and recently found a great new job. At this point, I was wondering whether I should include the new job in my law school application resume. At first it was a no-brainer to include it, but after thinking about it, I was wondering whether the admission committee would see it negatively since it means I will work there less than a year if I choose to go to law school. What are your thoughts? I'm a software engineer and the new job is at a famous software company so I think it would help my resume. But as I mentioned before, I wonder what the admission committee will think...

jrsbaseball5

Re: Should I put new job position on my resume?

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Have you been out of school for awhile? If you have and you don't put it they might wonder what you've been doing with your life.

shinobi99

Postby shinobi99 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:03 am

I have been out of school for several years. I have been working ever since graduation until several months ago when I quit my job to study for the LSAT. I did think it might be strange if I don't have anything put down from now until next Fall. But I have side projects that I am working on so one plan was to talk about that in the application and not really discuss about my job situation. However, I wonder if actually putting the new job on my resume would be the best idea even if the admission committee can see that I will only be there for less than a year if I go to law school.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 am

shinobi99 wrote:I have been out of school for several years. I have been working ever since graduation until several months ago when I quit my job to study for the LSAT. I did think it might be strange if I don't have anything put down from now until next Fall. But I have side projects that I am working on so one plan was to talk about that in the application and not really discuss about my job situation. However, I wonder if actually putting the new job on my resume would be the best idea even if the admission committee can see that I will only be there for less than a year if I go to law school.

They won't be looking at your resume adding up the amount of time you'll be at your new job and subtracting from your attractiveness as a candidate because of it. They won't care. If it's a gig that someone might think is interesting, put it on there. If it's not really, put it on there. Probably won't help you, definitely won't hurt you.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:38 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
shinobi99 wrote:I have been out of school for several years. I have been working ever since graduation until several months ago when I quit my job to study for the LSAT. I did think it might be strange if I don't have anything put down from now until next Fall. But I have side projects that I am working on so one plan was to talk about that in the application and not really discuss about my job situation. However, I wonder if actually putting the new job on my resume would be the best idea even if the admission committee can see that I will only be there for less than a year if I go to law school.

They won't be looking at your resume adding up the amount of time you'll be at your new job and subtracting from your attractiveness as a candidate because of it. They won't care. If it's a gig that someone might think is interesting, put it on there. If it's not really, put it on there. Probably won't help you, definitely won't hurt you.

I would agree with this as well. It sounds as if the job would be fairly interesting so its probably worthwhile to throw on your app with the understanding that it won't be a dealbreaker in either direction.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:27 am

Put it on there.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”