Recommendations from Bosses/Supervisors who are Professors?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CyanIdes Of March

Recommendations from Bosses/Supervisors who are Professors?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:27 pm

I think I've asked this before but no one bit, so hopefully it's more interesting this time around!

I have some (pretty good) recommendations I can get from my supervisors/bosses (I work at a law school) but the problem is... they aren't my professors. My professors (in my undergrad classes) don't really know me at all because the classes are large and impersonal. The quality of recommendation they'd give would be pretty standard. However, the ones I work for could write me much better letters but I've heard many times that adcomms want them from academic sources which I'm assuming means from people evaluating your academics. So what would you do in this situation? Go for the kind of bland but academic letters or for the glowing and professional but not strictly academic (academic adjacent?) letter?

Thanks!

nickb285

Re: Recommendations from Bosses/Supervisors who are Professors?

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:31 pm

One of each. That's what I did--I've been out of UG for two years and of the maybe two professors who would remember me, there was one I figured would write a good recommendation, so I had my boss do the other.

Dany

Re: Recommendations from Bosses/Supervisors who are Professors?

Postby Dany » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Some of each.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”