Two quarters of bad grades, should I write an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TRex77

Two quarters of bad grades, should I write an addendum?

Postby TRex77 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:17 am

So I had two quarters of very bad grades my last two years of college. Think I got a 2.75 or around there both times.

This was because of interviews for internships (first time around) then full time job (second time around). My school is in the middle of no where so whenever I had interviews I had to travel for a day and miss class. Missed a whole bunch of class those two quarters and my grades slipped as a results. Had no time to study ever, one week I actually had three midterms and 4 interviews, it was a nightmare.

I am hesitant to write an addendum on this because I think they might respond with something like "if you wanted to go to law school why would you let your grades drop?"

My reply would be:
1. I have to pay for law school somehow, wanted to save up some money before going.
2. Wasn't 100% sure I wanted to go to law school. Was pretty sure, but with the economy and the plight of law school grads, there was always a chance I wouldn't go.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jredelman15

Re: Two quarters of bad grades, should I write an addendum?

Postby Jredelman15 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:58 am

TRex77 wrote:So I had two quarters of very bad grades my last two years of college. Think I got a 2.75 or around there both times.

This was because of interviews for internships (first time around) then full time job (second time around). My school is in the middle of no where so whenever I had interviews I had to travel for a day and miss class. Missed a whole bunch of class those two quarters and my grades slipped as a results. Had no time to study ever, one week I actually had three midterms and 4 interviews, it was a nightmare.

I am hesitant to write an addendum on this because I think they might respond with something like "if you wanted to go to law school why would you let your grades drop?"

My reply would be:
1. I have to pay for law school somehow, wanted to save up some money before going.
2. Wasn't 100% sure I wanted to go to law school. Was pretty sure, but with the economy and the plight of law school grads, there was always a chance I wouldn't go.

Thoughts?

Thanks

So were they pop tests and midterms. If you knew you had these tests why would you schedule and interview then? Don't write an addendum. Only write one if you were in the hospital/coma/family death/taking care of family/major illness

EDIT: When you traveled could you not bring books with you? Were your interviews 24 hrs a day? This is by far the poorest excuse I have seen.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:03 am

Jredelman15 wrote:
TRex77 wrote:So I had two quarters of very bad grades my last two years of college. Think I got a 2.75 or around there both times.

My reply would be:

Thoughts?

Thanks

So were they pop tests and midterms. If you knew you had these tests why would you schedule and interview then? Don't write an addendum. Only write one if you were in the hospital/coma/family death/taking care of family/major illness

EDIT: When you traveled could you not bring books with you? Were your interviews 24 hrs a day? This is by far the poorest excuse I have seen.

Yeah, it is a poor excuse, but it is apparent that you have never gone through the interview process, especially for prestigious jobs which can pretty much be a 24/7 job just prepping.

Thanks.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:07 am

TRex77 wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

My reply would be:

Thoughts?

Thanks

Yeah, it is a poor excuse, but it is apparent that you have never gone through the interview process, especially for prestigious jobs which can pretty much be a 24/7 job just prepping.

Thanks.

It's called time management. Learn it.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:21 am

My reply would be:

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jredelman15 is right. None of the above is a valid excuse for a 2.75. Your time should be best focusing on your other positives.

--> Hundreds of applicants each year maintained full or part-time jobs while still performing well on the LSAT and having fantastic GPAs. This merely highlights a deficiency on your end.
--> You weren't considering saying this in your application were you?

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Just doesn't sound like a good enough of an excuse to write an addendum for. As far as I know, GPA addendums are more for something traumatic/extreme that caused an outlier in your grades... not decisions you made that turned out to be more challenging than you had anticipated. I wish I could write an addendum about some classes I wish I hadn't took because they were too hard or that my job/lsat studying caused me to slack academically but I don't think they'd care much for that either.

Don't take that the wrong way, I just think you're going to have to do what I did and accept that you have some bad grades on your record and attempt to compensate for it with a good LSAT score and decent softs.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 pm

I'll be the lawschool

TRex77 wrote:My reply would be:

Don't care. I get paid either way. Should have taken time off after under-grad to save money if you wanted to save money. You go to school to learn get good grades, end of discussion.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”