North Carolina Central

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Steve2207
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

North Carolina Central

Postby Steve2207 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Anyone know anything about this school? I am above their 75th percentile for both GPA and LSAT, but LSAC probability is still giving me only a 32 percent chance. It also appears there acceptance rate is very low. What am I missing here? There $10k tuition has my attention, but obviously I am overlooking something.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm

LOL

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby risa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Steve2207 wrote:Anyone know anything about this school? I am above their 75th percentile for both GPA and LSAT, but LSAC probability is still giving me only a 32 percent chance. It also appears there acceptance rate is very low. What am I missing here? There $10k tuition has my attention, but obviously I am overlooking something.


I heard that spelling "their" correctly will up your chances to at least 40 percent. :wink:

User avatar
Steve2207
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Steve2207 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Anyone other than the usual snobs have a serious response to this question? Or is the goal to find little typos and laugh when 3rd tier schools are mentioned because some of us want to LIMIT OUR DEBT?

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Steve2207 wrote:Anyone other than the usual snobs have a serious response to this question? Or is the goal to find little typos and laugh when 3rd tier schools are mentioned because some of us want to LIMIT OUR DEBT?


You are going to limit your debt to be sure, but you are also shitting on your employment prospects.

User avatar
Steve2207
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Steve2207 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:Anyone other than the usual snobs have a serious response to this question? Or is the goal to find little typos and laugh when 3rd tier schools are mentioned because some of us want to LIMIT OUR DEBT?


You are going to limit your debt to be sure, but you are also shitting on your employment prospects.


I have good enough employment prospects in my area I think. I know enough lawyers to know that nobody gives a shit where you go to law school once you start practicing. How well you perform in the courtroom is what’s going to matter, and I don’t want to be paying $800+ monthly tuition payments for the next 10 years. I have spent a lot of time in a courtroom and I have never saw attorneys getting stopped at the door and asked “Wait, did you go to Notre Dame or Cooley?” Fact is it’s not going to matter, and I get pissed when I see some of us who just want to practice for a small firm in a small city community get bashed as soon as a non T20 school gets mentioned.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:Anyone other than the usual snobs have a serious response to this question? Or is the goal to find little typos and laugh when 3rd tier schools are mentioned because some of us want to LIMIT OUR DEBT?


You are going to limit your debt to be sure, but you are also shitting on your employment prospects.


I have good enough employment prospects in my area I think. I know enough lawyers to know that nobody gives a shit where you go to law school once you start practicing. How well you perform in the courtroom is what’s going to matter, and I don’t want to be paying $800+ monthly tuition payments for the next 10 years. I have spent a lot of time in a courtroom and I have never saw attorneys getting stopped at the door and asked “Wait, did you go to Notre Dame or Cooley?” Fact is it’s not going to matter, and I get pissed when I see some of us who just want to practice for a small firm in a small city community get bashed as soon as a non T20 school gets mentioned.


All I know about NC Central is it is a T3/T4 that is very cheap and has a very high percentage of minorities. I'm pretty sure it is better than Elon/Charlotte, and I would probably recommend NC Central over Campbell if you couldn't get any $ at Campbell. If you are in-state, though, why not UNC? UNC's tuition is very competitive.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:Anyone other than the usual snobs have a serious response to this question? Or is the goal to find little typos and laugh when 3rd tier schools are mentioned because some of us want to LIMIT OUR DEBT?


You are going to limit your debt to be sure, but you are also shitting on your employment prospects.


I have good enough employment prospects in my area I think. I know enough lawyers to know that nobody gives a shit where you go to law school once you start practicing. How well you perform in the courtroom is what’s going to matter, and I don’t want to be paying $800+ monthly tuition payments for the next 10 years. I have spent a lot of time in a courtroom and I have never saw attorneys getting stopped at the door and asked “Wait, did you go to Notre Dame or Cooley?” Fact is it’s not going to matter, and I get pissed when I see some of us who just want to practice for a small firm in a small city community get bashed as soon as a non T20 school gets mentioned.


Tell us more about how your knowledge of Law and Order will translate to legal success.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:58 pm

If I recall correctly, it's very inexpensive for North Carolina residents, high number of minority students & has an emphasis on social activism/social policy. Acceptance rate (21%) is not as high as one might think based on the school's very low medians.

P.S. I just read the TLS profile on this historically black law school. Students can take a course/clinic in Street Law & are able to take elective courses at nearby Duke & UNC at no additional cost.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:08 pm

I worked for a Legal Aid office in NC last summer and there were a lot of NCCU lawyers there. In fact the ones that I worked with were pretty damn good attoneys too. However, you are dead wrong if you think that the name on your degree doesn't count. I had one NCCU grad flat out tell me that people don't go to private practice out of NCCU. He said maybe the top 5-10 PEOPLE do, but even then its mostly smaller offices. Private practice just is not a realistic goal coming from that school. However, legal aid, government and other non-profits are totally doable and without much debt, you wouldnt be screwed if you had to take one of those jobs.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:Anyone other than the usual snobs have a serious response to this question? Or is the goal to find little typos and laugh when 3rd tier schools are mentioned because some of us want to LIMIT OUR DEBT?


You are going to limit your debt to be sure, but you are also shitting on your employment prospects.


I have good enough employment prospects in my area I think. I know enough lawyers to know that nobody gives a shit where you go to law school once you start practicing. How well you perform in the courtroom is what’s going to matter, and I don’t want to be paying $800+ monthly tuition payments for the next 10 years. I have spent a lot of time in a courtroom and I have never saw attorneys getting stopped at the door and asked “Wait, did you go to Notre Dame or Cooley?” Fact is it’s not going to matter, and I get pissed when I see some of us who just want to practice for a small firm in a small city community get bashed as soon as a non T20 school gets mentioned.


If you have a job already lined up and it doesn't matter where you go, a $30k JD sounds like a great investment. If you just "think" you have the in somewhere it sounds like an absolutely horrible investment.

I don't think anyone should go to the law school you're considering. UNC is an awesome school with heavy bias to NC residents and also has very low tuition. I think you should study for the LSAT and get a score amenable to admissions there.

Image

When looking at this, the only real stats you should care about are the number of full-time, JD-required jobs (74) and the total graduates (170). After that, you care about job quality, but you can't really discern that from non-salary data, except that the number of graduates employed at medium firms is 3, and large firms is 0.

You say you want a small firm job after graduation, and there isn't anything wrong with that. But the ABA data suggests that only 1 in 4 graduates secures even small firm employment (and it doesn't discern salary or whether or not that small firm employment requires a JD). It's also worth noting that something close to 0% of newly minted lawyers opt to open a solo practice immediately out of law school, so while 13 graduates were able to get "solo" jobs, there's a better chance that most or all of those 13 didn't do so by choice, but rather simply couldn't find a job at a firm.

User avatar
Steve2207
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Steve2207 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:33 pm

I’m not from North Carolina. I’m sending out six applications to schools in my region, but have decided to send one application out as a safety school that is outside of my area. I was going to send one to a TTT in a different state, but have decided against it, and am looking for a replacement safety school. The low tuition caught my eye, and I was curious why my chances are so low since I should be a shoe in for that school based off of my numbers. I am just looking for the cheapest ride attainable and the closer to my area, the better. I’m about 10 hours away from NC by the way.

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:19 pm

You have two options as I see it.

A. Listen to the advice of people on this site. You signed up here and you post here so this seems like the best option.

Or B. Just do whatever you feel like doing anyway and don't bother making posts and asking for advice.

To me, it's that simple. No point making posts and asking questions if you already have in your mind that you're going to do one thing and you're just going to ignore or get combative about anything that is said to the contrary.

BTW this isn't me telling you to leave or anything like that. I think you should stick around and learn something. I've learned a ton since I started lurking and posting here, this site is a great resource. People are trying to help you out and give solid advice, not be elitists or snobs.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 pm

OP, you've made several threads and you always get the same response. Its for a reason. The ABA report is above. You could have looked that up yourself but you choose not to. If job prospects dont matter to you, then theres no point in asking for advice here because thats what most TLS'ers are concerned about.

User avatar
Steve2207
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Steve2207 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:OP, you've made several threads and you always get the same response. Its for a reason. The ABA report is above. You could have looked that up yourself but you choose not to. If job prospects dont matter to you, then theres no point in asking for advice here because thats what most TLS'ers are concerned about.


I asked if anyone knew anything about the school, I didn’t ask for people to just laugh it off or post a remark about a typo and ignore the question. I did lookup the schools information, yet was having a problem understanding why it is that they appear to have a low acceptance rate, despite having pretty low standards as far as LSAT/ GPA. I’m not saying I haven’t received good advice here at TLS, but seriously, anytime anyone says anything about a lower ranked school people start treating the poster like a shitbag, or laugh them off like they are a troll. I AM going to go to the cheapest offer I get, because that’s what is best for me. I am NOT asking what is best for me in my given circumstance, because I have a better idea of that than anyone here at TLS. I simply asked about the school, and many of the responses are not answering questions about the school, they are just jabs at me for even considering going there, and I see it happen all the time to lots of posters that have general questions about lower ranked schools.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:OP, you've made several threads and you always get the same response. Its for a reason. The ABA report is above. You could have looked that up yourself but you choose not to. If job prospects dont matter to you, then theres no point in asking for advice here because thats what most TLS'ers are concerned about.


I asked if anyone knew anything about the school, I didn’t ask for people to just laugh it off or post a remark about a typo and ignore the question. I did lookup the schools information, yet was having a problem understanding why it is that they appear to have a low acceptance rate, despite having pretty low standards as far as LSAT/ GPA. I’m not saying I haven’t received good advice here at TLS, but seriously, anytime anyone says anything about a lower ranked school people start treating the poster like a shitbag, or laugh them off like they are a troll. I AM going to go to the cheapest offer I get, because that’s what is best for me. I am NOT asking what is best for me in my given circumstance, because I have a better idea of that than anyone here at TLS. I simply asked about the school, and many of the responses are not answering questions about the school, they are just jabs at me for even considering going there, and I see it happen all the time to lots of posters that have general questions about lower ranked schools.


TLSers take "jabs" because they get frustrated from some students who come on here with delirious ideas of law school and the legal employment market. I am not by any means saying this is about you, I'm mostly saying don't take it personally. As for NCC, if you are out of state, I highly doubt this will be your best option. Also, I know UNC gives a great consideration to being an in state applicant, and thus LSP gives people with above median numbers a lower prediction of acceptance. Maybe NCC is the same. I doubt you will find someone on here with much information about that particular school, though.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Sounds like a great place to take a three year vacation from the real world. Afterwards you'll have the exact same job prospects as you went in with. What could be better?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby rad lulz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Steve2207 wrote:I have good enough employment prospects in my area I think. I know enough lawyers to know that nobody gives a shit where you go to law school once you start practicing.

The assumption that you will get a job from NCCU that enables you start practicing is unwarranted.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 pm

As an aside, doesn't "North Carolina Central" sound like the name of a local Catholic high school ?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby rad lulz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:As an aside, doesn't "North Carolina Central" sound like the name of a local Catholic high school ?

C Wolf how do you have 8500 on-topic poasts without venturing into the lounge or poasting pics or friending anyone on FB? How do you do it?

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:As an aside, doesn't "North Carolina Central" sound like the name of a local Catholic high school ?

C Wolf how do you have 8500 on-topic poasts without venturing into the lounge or poasting pics or friending anyone on FB? How do you do it?


I think he runs a prep company racket thing

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby rad lulz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:As an aside, doesn't "North Carolina Central" sound like the name of a local Catholic high school ?

C Wolf how do you have 8500 on-topic poasts without venturing into the lounge or poasting pics or friending anyone on FB? How do you do it?


I think he runs a prep company racket thing

Twist: it's a she

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:As an aside, doesn't "North Carolina Central" sound like the name of a local Catholic high school ?

C Wolf how do you have 8500 on-topic poasts without venturing into the lounge or poasting pics or friending anyone on FB? How do you do it?


I think he runs a prep company racket thing

Twist: it's a she


Samara alt?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 pm

If either of you ever plans to open up a private detective agency, I'll be happy to offer a word of advice.

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: North Carolina Central

Postby mqt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 am

Steve2207 wrote:Anyone know anything about this school? I am above their 75th percentile for both GPA and LSAT, but LSAC probability is still giving me only a 32 percent chance. It also appears there acceptance rate is very low. What am I missing here? There $10k tuition has my attention, but obviously I am overlooking something.


If you're going to insist on going to a lower ranked school, why pack up and move to NC? There are low tuition law schools all over the nation.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], dstars823, incognito_mode13, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests