poor work history, arrest record, poor gpa, and 157

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paratactical

Re: poor work history, arrest record, poor gpa, and 157

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 am

Zeta wrote:i wish it was, believe me.
look, i'm confident (if i can get in somewhere w/ this ridiculous record) i'll excel in law school. but let's say you're right. let's say i'm just some delusional idiot with more money than brains. i'm asking that you suspend your disbelief for a moment and imagine i might actually succeed. will i be rejected by the bar because of my record?

It's certainly a concern you should have and the only people who can give you legitimate answer are attorneys licensed to practice in the state you want to practice in. Every state is different. You need to speak to the state bars, not posit this question online. No answer you get here is promised to be correct.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:19 am

Ahhh so you can actually PAY for law school and graduate without debt

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 am

Your record can be over come [to get into school, not sure about the bar]:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26661590/ ... aw-school/
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/new-tula ... -murderer/

However, it is not typically worth it to attend law school with a <3/157, even without taking your age and record into consideration.

Retake

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 am

Law school would be a terrible decision for you. Do you have mad cash? Have you had a job longer than 8 months? How do you survive?

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 am

I think just about everyone who goes to law school is "confident" they will "excel."

Even if you find a state bar and a law school that will look past your record, it's not going to be a law school with good enough job prospects to risk the huge amount of tuition you'll have to pay.

If you're serious and determined to try to beat the ridiculous odds against you, you need to get a stellar LSAT and, as above posters said, do/demonstrate something to outshine that record.
Last edited by tfer2222 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am

The trick for one attending a lower ranked law school is to attend on a full tuition scholarship-- something which seems highly unlikely in your case. On the basis of your information shared in this thread, law school does not promise to be a wise investment of your funds, in my opinion.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am

This can't be a serious post...I call troll

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:33 am

JCFindley wrote:If this isn't a troll thread, there has never been one on TLS, ever...

I'm hoping that it's a troll thread. If not, the OP...wow.

PJENNEWE

Postby PJENNEWE » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:33 am

Zeta wrote:
You graduated college at 33 and have worked for a little over a year out of the past four? You'd be lucky to be debt-free at age 50 after attending law school. Just go get a fucking job, regardless of how bad you want to be an attorney.

beautifully put. if only i had thought of that before, iceman. good luck coming out, btw.

If this is not a troll, this post alone shows that you do not have the maturity to be anything productive in society...let alone a lawyer.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:42 am

I am sure you'll do fine.

--ImageRemoved--

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:48 am

Nova wrote:Your record can be over come [to get into school, not sure about the bar]:

However, it is not typically worth it to attend law school with a <3/157, even without taking your age and record into consideration.

Retake

why is it not worth is w/ that score as long as i get in?

if i do retake, it would have to be feb as registration for dec is already closed. can i take the feb and still get in next year?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 am

Zeta wrote:
Nova wrote:Your record can be over come [to get into school, not sure about the bar]:

Retake

why is it not worth is w/ that score as long as i get in?

if i do retake, it would have to be feb as registration for dec is already closed. can i take the feb and still get in next year?
Because any school you could get into won't get you a job.

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:Law school would be a terrible decision for you. Do you have mad cash? Have you had a job longer than 8 months? How do you survive?

yes, i have mad cash.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 pm

OK, IN the event that this is not a troll thread.

1. Check with a lawyer familiar with BAR requirements where you would like to practice.
2. IF you can be admitted to the BAR, then go to the LSAT section of this forum, learn how to study for the LSAT. Retake it until you get a 170+ which will likely get your past overlooked and get you into a splitter friendly school that gives you a halfway decent shot at a job.

Beyond that, I have nothing else except MANY people, including myself, have ADHD and have never had an issue with law enforcement beyond traffic stops so I am not sure the diagnosis is going to help you at all.

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 pm

never mind, ninja'd. thanks.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:07 pm

JCFindley wrote:MANY people, including myself, have ADHD and have never had an issue with law enforcement beyond traffic stops so I am not sure the diagnosis is going to help you at all.

This. OP, on the chance that this is for real, if you've got mad cash and just want to go to grad school, why not an MBA? Why law?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
JCFindley wrote:MANY people, including myself, have ADHD and have never had an issue with law enforcement beyond traffic stops so I am not sure the diagnosis is going to help you at all.

This. OP, on the chance that this is for real, if you've got mad cash and just want to go to grad school, why not an MBA? Why law?

DeVry or Phoenix?

dood

Postby dood » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 pm

look, i'm confident (if i can get in somewhere w/ this ridiculous record) i'll excel in law school. but let's say you're right. let's say i'm just some delusional idiot with more money than brains. i'm asking that you suspend your disbelief for a moment and imagine i might actually succeed. will i be rejected by the bar because of my record?

hahahahaha, u actually pretty funny (im being serious).

ok real advice:

step 1: get ur "rap sheet" DIRECTLY FROM THE FBI - http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/backgr ... to-the-fbi

DO NOT TRUST A PRIVATE CO. to run ur criminal record. for reasons im too lazy to explain and laws im too lazy to find, private records will be incomplete.

step 2: determine the state bar u gonna take. read their C&F application. be clear on exactly what you need to disclose. for example, CA C&F EXPLICITLY SAYS NOT TO DISCLOSE RECORDS EXPUNGED UNDER CA PENAL CODE 1304.1 (or some shit like that). compare to ur rap sheet - if an arrest is not on ur FBI rap sheet, it didnt happen. now u know for sure what u are gonna be judged on.

step 3: some states (i.e. NY) give a preliminary C&F determination prior to law school, consider doing dis.

step 4: roll the dice dogg.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Zeta wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:Law school would be a terrible decision for you. Do you have mad cash? Have you had a job longer than 8 months? How do you survive?

yes, i have mad cash.

Then don't go to law school.

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm

dood wrote:

hahahahaha, u actually pretty funny (im being serious).

ok real advice:

step 1: get ur "rap sheet" DIRECTLY FROM THE FBI - http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/backgr ... to-the-fbi

DO NOT TRUST A PRIVATE CO. to run ur criminal record. for reasons im too lazy to explain and laws im too lazy to find, private records will be incomplete.

step 2: determine the state bar u gonna take. read their C&F application. be clear on exactly what you need to disclose. for example, CA C&F EXPLICITLY SAYS NOT TO DISCLOSE RECORDS EXPUNGED UNDER CA PENAL CODE 1304.1 (or some shit like that). compare to ur rap sheet - if an arrest is not on ur FBI rap sheet, it didnt happen. now u know for sure what u are gonna be judged on.

step 3: some states (i.e. NY) give a preliminary C&F determination prior to law school, consider doing dis.

step 4: roll the dice dogg.

thank-you for this. it is exactly what i needed to know.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:37 pm

The answer is that not a single person here is qualified to answer that question. If you're serious, go talk with the state bar, or talk with an attorney who specializes in these areas. Taking legal advice from TLS is like taking sex advice from a (completely legal, 18 year old) high schooler.

akasabian

Postby akasabian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:41 pm

JCFindley wrote:If this isn't a troll thread, there has never been one on TLS, ever...

Amazed it took this long for someone to call troll

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

bp shinners wrote:Taking legal advice from TLS is like taking sex advice from a (completely legal, 18 year old) high schooler. TLS.

FTFY

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 pm

PJENNEWE wrote:
Zeta wrote:
You graduated college at 33 and have worked for a little over a year out of the past four? You'd be lucky to be debt-free at age 50 after attending law school. Just go get a fucking job, regardless of how bad you want to be an attorney.

beautifully put. if only i had thought of that before, iceman. good luck coming out, btw.

If this is not a troll, this post alone shows that you do not have the maturity to be anything productive in society...let alone a lawyer.

Agreed. I had sympathy for the poster up until the supposed 35 year old man made a gay joke. It's all been said, there's no logical reason (given the current information) that you should attend law school. Even if you have "mad cash" it's just an irresponsible waste of time to go to a school with terrible job prospects that will do nothing but take your money and consume 3 years of your life. If you really, really want to throw your money away go donate to charity, at least that'd help someone.

Zeta

Postby Zeta » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm

i sincerely apologize for that joke. i'm an idiot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”