Columbia - Supplemental Essay?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joedf

Columbia - Supplemental Essay?

Postby joedf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Columbia's app gives you the option of a supplemental statement.

This seems to be for an addendum, or a diversity statement, etc.

Does anyone know if it'd be worth writing a "Why Columbia?" essay, or would that be unnecessary, and something they'd be less inclined to read?

sabanist

Re: Columbia - Supplemental Essay?

Postby sabanist » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:24 pm

From their website:

Can I submit an addendum or additional written materials along with my application?

Yes. The Admissions Committee believes that candidates should be able to expand upon aspects of their candidacy that are otherwise not represented in the required materials. Some examples include diversity statements, statements of strong interest in Columbia Law School, explanations of undergraduate and/or LSAT performance, etc. We strongly suggest that applicants use their best judgment, in terms of content and length, when considering the submission of supplemental materials.

joedf

Postby joedf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Oh sick, where's that excerpt from?

I'm getting a little confused 'cause the supplementary statement guidelines read as follows:
Optional: Candidates may add brief supplementary statements they believe will enable the Admissions Committee to make a fully informed decision on the application. The Committee especially welcomes addenda that allow it to understand the contribution the applicant's background (e.g., socioeconomic status, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation) would add to the Columbia Law School community. Should you have multiple addenda, please combine (on separate pages, if necessary) these into one document and upload here.

Does "Why Columbia?" definitely apply here?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 am

From their admission components FAQ: http://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... pplication

All I read from the guidelines you quoted is that they really like diversity statements. I wouldn't say it rules anything out.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am

I spoke with the associate/assistant dean of admissions about this subject. She made it seem like unless you have a really good reason for a 'why columbia' don't bother writing one.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am

"...statements of strong interest in Columbia Law School..."

joedf

Postby joedf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Apparently it's not blatant, CanadianWolf, because it doesn't state that in the application and Florida1949's experience suggests otherwise.

I want to make it clear that I would not be writing a paper based on my absolute need to go to Columbia - I don't have a dying relative nearby, etc., which I certainly would write an addendum for if it was applicable. I'd be writing what would basically be another personal statement, except focused on what type of law I want to go into and how Columbia would give me the tools to succeed in that field better than anywhere else.

Is that still considered a statement of "strong interest"?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

As noted above by another poster, you need a really good (convincing) reason for a "Why Columbia" essay. Specific programs/clinics can fall into that category dependent upon your demonstrated interest, in my opinion. I suspect that a weak or unconvincing "Why Columbia" could harm a borderline applicant's chances.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”