Confusing BC question on language proficiency

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
risa

Confusing BC question on language proficiency

Postby risa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:20 am

Anyone else confused by this one? Am I just reading it wrong? Seems to me like nothing here applies to me, but it's a required question and there's no "n/a" or "none of the above" option. Number one would apply to me except the bit about "legal education at the university level" ... I don't have any legal education yet right? :?

3. Please review five statements below and select the statement which describes your English language proficiency.
1. My native language is English and my legal education at the university level was conducted in English in an English-speaking country.
2. Within the period of five years prior to the date of this application, I have been a full-time student for at least one year in a university legal academic program conducted entirely in English in one of the following countries: the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (English medium universities) or South Africa (English medium universities).
3. My native language is not English, but my legal education at the university level was conducted entirely in English in one of the following countries: India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong or Singapore, and I have attached a statement from an official at my university verifying that English was the medium of instruction.
4. I have taken or will take the TOEFL and have arranged to have my scores sent through the LSAC LLM Credential Assembly Service.
5. I have taken or will take the IELTS and have arranged to have an official IELTS score report sent directly to the Law School.

dingbat

Re: Confusing BC question on language proficiency

Postby dingbat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:56 am

risa wrote:Anyone else confused by this one? Am I just reading it wrong? Seems to me like nothing here applies to me, but it's a required question and there's no "n/a" or "none of the above" option. Number one would apply to me except the bit about "legal education at the university level" ... I don't have any legal education yet right? :?

3. Please review five statements below and select the statement which describes your English language proficiency.
1. My native language is English and my legal education at the university level was conducted in English in an English-speaking country.
2. Within the period of five years prior to the date of this application, I have been a full-time student for at least one year in a university legal academic program conducted entirely in English in one of the following countries: the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (English medium universities) or South Africa (English medium universities).
3. My native language is not English, but my legal education at the university level was conducted entirely in English in one of the following countries: India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong or Singapore, and I have attached a statement from an official at my university verifying that English was the medium of instruction.
4. I have taken or will take the TOEFL and have arranged to have my scores sent through the LSAC LLM Credential Assembly Service.
5. I have taken or will take the IELTS and have arranged to have an official IELTS score report sent directly to the Law School.

Send an email to the school asking about this. Presumably, they mean your undergrad.

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:18 pm

That looks like an LLM application, you probably started the wrong one.

risa

Postby risa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 pm

it does sound like that but I just double checked and it says it's the JD 2013 application. I guess I will email the school...

risa

Postby risa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I called the admissions office and before I could even finish my question she knew what I was going to say. Apparently I'm not the first person to run into this issue. This morning there's a "school updated application - review your answers" note on LSAC and I see that this question is no longer *'ed as required.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Seems like an LLM application question made it on to the JD application form.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”