Safeties?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drosth

Safeties?

Postby drosth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:55 pm

I've been using hourumd to check my chances at schools, and so far, UCLA is the lowest ranked school I'm applying to with a 90% acceptance rate for people with my numbers. I frankly wouldn't go to any other school under UCLA, but am I being overconfident? Should I apply to some schools ranked in the late teens, just so I have the option? Or should I really just be applying to schools that I would go to if accepted?

JCFindley

Re: Safeties?

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:57 pm

drosth wrote:I've been using hourumd to check my chances at schools, and so far, UCLA is the lowest ranked school I'm applying to with a 90% acceptance rate for people with my numbers. I frankly wouldn't go to any other school under UCLA, but am I being overconfident? Should I apply to some schools ranked in the late teens, just so I have the option? Or should I really just be applying to schools that I would go to if accepted?

Pointless to apply at schools you wouldn't go to. It is a waste of time and money.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:59 pm

JCFindley wrote:
drosth wrote:I've been using hourumd to check my chances at schools, and so far, UCLA is the lowest ranked school I'm applying to with a 90% acceptance rate for people with my numbers. I frankly wouldn't go to any other school under UCLA, but am I being overconfident? Should I apply to some schools ranked in the late teens, just so I have the option? Or should I really just be applying to schools that I would go to if accepted?

Pointless to apply at schools you wouldn't go to. It is a waste of time and money.

Not if you can use it for scholarship negotiations. If you do aply to these kinds of schools, try to get a fee waiver.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 pm

JCFindley wrote:

Eh, not necessarily. You may be able to use lower school scholarship offers to leverage better scholarships at schools you actually want to go to.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:02 pm

moonman157 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Not if you can use it for scholarship negotiations. If you do aply to these kinds of schools, try to get a fee waiver.

For scholarship negotiations, it's typically best to use admission from a peer school. For example, full ride to UC Davis/Hastings likely won't impress Berkeley/Stanford, but $ from UVA/Columbia could have an impact on scholarship negotiations with B/S. Applying to lower-ranked schools wouldn't do much for OP, I don't think. Apply to one or two tops as backups, but honestly, if you have a shitty cycle, re-apply.

also FWIW i've heard hourumd is horribly inaccurate/not reliable at all, but that's just my .02.

Four Ten

Postby Four Ten » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

For scholarship negotiations, it's typically best to use admission from a peer school. For example, full ride to UC Davis/Hastings likely won't impress Berkeley/Stanford, but $ from UVA/Columbia could have an impact on scholarship negotiations with B/S. Applying to lower-ranked schools wouldn't do much for OP, I don't think. Apply to one or two tops as backups, but honestly, if you have a shitty cycle, re-apply.

also FWIW i've heard hourumd is horribly inaccurate/not reliable at all, but that's just my .02.

Only speaking from my own experience here, but I found this to be the case as well. I had several full scholarships from non-T14 law schools and got nowhere in my leveraging negotiations with a T14 that I was accepted to.

drosth

Postby drosth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:14 pm

calidancer2 wrote:

Really? That sucks. LSN isn't too helpful because (for some reason) most people who have my numbers don't bother updating whether they got accepted or not. Is there any other calculator I should be looking at?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:19 pm

drosth wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

Really? That sucks. LSN isn't too helpful because (for some reason) most people who have my numbers don't bother updating whether they got accepted or not. Is there any other calculator I should be looking at?

What are your numbers?

You should definitely apply to USC as it's a natural peer with UCLA. Try getting a fee waiver from Texas or Vanderbilt, which will allow you to negotiate

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Four Ten wrote:
Only speaking from my own experience here, but I found this to be the case as well. I had several full scholarships from non-T14 law schools and got nowhere in my leveraging negotiations with a T14 that I was accepted to.

This.

Peer schools can be a game changer though.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:37 pm

JCFindley wrote:
Four Ten wrote:

This.

Peer schools can be a game changer though.

Columbia won't believe you (or care) if you said you'd turn them down for a free ride at NYLS. But if you tell them you hot money at NYU, they might try to match it

drosth

Postby drosth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Anyone have any info on Cornell? Hourumd shows that they're pretty stingy on scholarship money, so I'm thinking of skipping them (would probably use them as a bargaining chip). But if it's unreliable, I'd want to double-check just to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

EDIT: Before anyone things I'm dissing Cornell, I'm not. I just want to explore outside of my state.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”