Paranoid Parrot: Do law schools check TLS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
digifly

Paranoid Parrot: Do law schools check TLS?

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:30 pm

So I was wondering today about the possibility of a law school admissions officer checking TLS and tying applicants to TLS profiles. Do you guys think this is possible or even likely? I don't think it'd be too hard, considering we post in the threads of the schools we applied to and we often have numbers and maybe even undergrad schools listed on our profiles.

Note: I'm not actually worried about this, nor do I think it's something that is really happening. Interesting to think about, though!

gaud

Re: Paranoid Parrot: Do law schools check TLS?

Postby gaud » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Some do, some don't.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:34 pm

digifly wrote:So I was wondering today about the possibility of a law school admissions officer checking TLS and tying applicants to TLS profiles. Do you guys think this is possible or even likely? I don't think it'd be too hard, considering we post in the threads of the schools we applied to and we often have numbers and maybe even undergrad schools listed on our profiles.

Note: I'm not actually worried about this, nor do I think it's something that is really happening. Interesting to think about, though!

Yes, they definitely do. We know this because admissions officers sometimes post here, and often say that they and their colleagues do read TLS. But I don't think it's clear whether they bother to match-up people to TLS profiles, and if so, whether this actually makes a difference at all. I would guess they probably have better things to do, but it wouldn't surprise me.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:50 pm

ph14 wrote:
Yes, they definitely do. We know this because admissions officers sometimes post here, and often say that they and their colleagues do read TLS. But I don't think it's clear whether they bother to match-up people to TLS profiles, and if so, whether this actually makes a difference at all. I would guess they probably have better things to do, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Interesting. Yeah, I only ask because I see some people post stuff like "I applied here but I think the school sucks blah blah blah." Seems like something that might annoy an admissions officer enough to research who the poster was!

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Apologies OP -

While people do look at TLS, it takes time and work to match up an application to a poster. It's very unlikely that they take an app and try to figure out who someone is on TLS. It's just time consuming.
Last edited by paratactical on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Probably do if they get bored/have time, but why would it matter? I'm sure they could figure out who I am, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't hold saying "Checking in ED, hope I get in!" against me.

Postby 071816 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:00 pm

I've heard that they all check it religiously.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 pm

paratactical wrote:
digifly wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Interesting. Yeah, I only ask because I see some people post stuff like "I applied here but I think the school sucks blah blah blah." Seems like something that might annoy an admissions officer enough to research who the poster was!

Can you stop using this "paranoid parrot" thing? You are over obsessing with everything. No one will care that you got a speeding ticket that counts as a misdemeanor and no one is going to give enough fucks about you to try to figure out who you are based on whatever stupid shit you've said about the schools that you're applying to.

yo, that was me. me and this poster are not the same person.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:06 pm

calidancer2 wrote:yo, that was me. me and this poster are not the same person.

Really? Two different people both use "paranoid parrot"?

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:10 pm

paratactical wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:yo, that was me. me and this poster are not the same person.

Really? Two different people both use "paranoid parrot"?

--LinkRemoved--

lots of people do.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:12 pm

If I was an Admissions Dean, I would infiltrate TLS with multiple agents from the office. Every admissions thread about my school would have decoys who seemed to know an extraordinary amount crawling up and down it. They'd be posting smiley faces and pm-ing and sniping jerks left and right. They'd be posting trap threads in the lounge, too....

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:13 pm

justonemoregame wrote:If I was an Admissions Dean, I would infiltrate TLS with multiple agents from the office. Every admissions thread about my school would have decoys who seemed to know an extraordinary amount crawling up and down it. They'd be posting smiley faces and pm-ing and sniping jerks left and right. They'd be posting trap threads in the lounge, too....

if they were smart they'd do it like this guy: https://twitter.com/NotAPoliceman

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 pm

calidancer2 wrote:--LinkRemoved--

lots of people do.

Do you also call people "good guy greg"?

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:16 pm

paratactical wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:--LinkRemoved--

lots of people do.

Do you also call people "good guy greg"?

neither a redditor nor a 4chan member, nor a mod of an internet community, so no.
Last edited by calidancer2 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Yes they do.

They could care if you are an obvious applicant depending on what you do here.

I use my real name but then I stand by what I say.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:17 pm

They do check the forums regularly, but I doubt they purposefully match up TLS users to applicants. They use TLS and college confidential to get a sense of what their customers are saying about them.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm

JCFindley wrote:Yes they do.

They could care if you are an obvious applicant depending on what you do here.

I use my real name but then I stand by what I say.

A model TLSer.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Any of you Duke applicants wanna meet up at 4:20 and laugh it up about our multiple ED attempts?

Sincerely,

Not A Dean

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

I love not disclosing criminal offenses we should all play never have I ever and talk about things we failed to disclose!

-Not a Character and Fitness Exam

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

They probably read comments about their schools, but it's unlikely that adcomms try to match posters with applicants.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:35 pm

paratactical wrote:Apologies OP -

While people do look at TLS, it takes time and work to match up an application to a poster. It's very unlikely that they take an app and try to figure out who someone is on TLS. It's just time consuming.

No worries! Again, it was more of a conspiracy theory than a real concern. Oh and thanks for the edit, such a Good Guy Greg. :P

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:39 pm

digifly wrote:

No worries! Again, it was more of a conspiracy theory than a real concern. Oh and thanks for the edit, such a Good Guy Greg. :P

lololol. One legitimate question I do have is how many TLSers are in the t-14 classes. Are we that small of a sample size relative to t-14 applicants that you only know of/meet a few people from TLS in LS, or is it a lot more? I'm always interested to hear. I know we're not a representative sample of LS applicants, but would be interested to hear from Harvard 2015 how many TLSers are there, etc.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:07 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:

lololol. One legitimate question I do have is how many TLSers are in the t-14 classes. Are we that small of a sample size relative to t-14 applicants that you only know of/meet a few people from TLS in LS, or is it a lot more? I'm always interested to hear. I know we're not a representative sample of LS applicants, but would be interested to hear from Harvard 2015 how many TLSers are there, etc.

That's definitely something I've wondered. I feel like there are a ton of people on here who get accepted to and and plan to attend T14s.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Not T-14 but have met a bunch of TLSers at my T29.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Some schools definitely check TLS, but generally, they're not going to figure out who you are. That being said:

If you are an unusual candidate it might not be hard for them to figure you out (for example, if you post on here that you're a vet with 30+ years military experience)

If you go on a rampage, or say something particularly derpy, they might decide to go through the trouble of figuring it out and match the profile to an applicant

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”