How do I word this on my resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Steve2207

How do I word this on my resume?

Postby Steve2207 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 pm

I’m trying to finish up a resume that is required to be included on a couple of my applications. I’m listing my internship separately from my work experience, and don’t really know what to say about it that would be catchy. I interned for a county court, but didn’t do much more than observe the cases day to day. Here is what I have so far,

MyCounty Court, USA
*Two-Hundred hour completion of courtroom observations

That sounds generic I know, and I’d like at least one more bullet but can’t think of a catchy way to say that I witnessed the practice of a variety of different legal areas, I’ve been hung up on how to say this for a couple of days. Anyone have a knack for wording things well? Thanks!

rad lulz

Re: How do I word this on my resume?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:20 pm

That was literally the only thing you did?

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:26 pm

rad lulz wrote:That was literally the only thing you did?

Pretty much, I was allowed to witness pre-trial negotiations on a couple of occasions. But didn’t do much other than observe, call the next parties into the courtroom, and run to the clerk’s office a couple of times to get some paperwork the judge needed.

westie25

Postby westie25 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Did you just intern for the court or for a particular office (e.g. prosecutor's, public defenders)?

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 pm

westie25 wrote:Did you just intern for the court or for a particular office (e.g. prosecutor's, public defenders)?

I interned for the court, under the Judge. It was really a great experience, but there wasnt much for me to do other than basicly shadow him.

westie25

Postby westie25 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
westie25 wrote:Did you just intern for the court or for a particular office (e.g. prosecutor's, public defenders)?

I interned for the court, under the Judge. It was really a great experience, but there wasnt much for me to do other than basicly shadow him.

Try something such as:

-Responsible for calling the judge's docket. (If that's what calling up the parties involved means. If not, find a way to spin it this way. Also, put the division and/or Judge's name. E.g. "Responsible for calling Judge Smith's Division 21 docket.)
-Gathered (or retrieved) imperative court documents for the judge (put the name).
-Observed pre-trial preps and 200+ hours of trials.

Hope this helps!

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:26 pm

westie25 wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:

Try something such as:

-Responsible for calling the judge's docket. (If that's what calling up the parties involved means. If not, find a way to spin it this way. Also, put the division and/or Judge's name. E.g. "Responsible for calling Judge Smith's Division 21 docket.)
-Gathered (or retrieved) imperative court documents for the judge (put the name).
-Observed pre-trial preps and 200+ hours of trials.

Hope this helps!

The thing is I only did those things a couple times, and that makes it sound like I did them regularly.

risa

Postby risa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
westie25 wrote:
Try something such as:

-Gathered (or retrieved) imperative court documents for the judge (put the name) and otherwise assisted with courtroom operation as needed
-Observed pre-trial preps and 200+ hours of trials *perhaps list types of cases you observed

Hope this helps!

The thing is I only did those things a couple times, and that makes it sound like I did them regularly.

If you're really concerned about that you could add something like "as needed" at the end... See what I did with the example above...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”